The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thinking of selling my 90 aa talk me out of it.

dseelig

Well I love the lens but not using it a lot right now. I need a new printer, monitor and possibly a 24 L for a canon. I can hold off on the monitor. Sooner or later my printer has to be replaced. I have a 75 lux that I have to keep for the speed. The thing is except for the 24 canon everything I could buy loses value the 90 just keeps it's value.

ashwinrao1

hope that was just the emotional side of my conviction.Bottom line is there is no higher resolving lens in the Leica set up. It is bulky, but unparalleled for IQ in the 90 mm focal length. The elmarit 90 is nice, but the AA Cron is legend...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
YOU CAN T BE SERIOUS! (voice over by McEnroe).

The 90AA is one of the very best M designs. The only negative is thats its large by comparison to the normal and wide angle lenses. One thing that isn t discussed much is the focusing mount. It has a medium throw ...;I find it incredibly fast on the street and much better than the 75lux or summicron. (have both). The lux has a very long throw to allow for precise focusing necessary to shoot at 1.4 and the 75 cron has a short throw and has a small hitch when the close focusing elements have to move. The 90 summicron just flows.

Everyone respects that the 90AA is very sharp at all apertures but few speak about the contrast . I find it similar to the 28 cron not quite as biting as the 75cron but higher that the 75 lux. All this stuff is based on preferences and type of shooting/subject matter.

dseelig

I am in San Francisco and took the 90 instead of my 75 lux. I was very happy I had the 90 as was mentioned it was faster on the street then th 75 lux. For me a noce small lens. I shoot sports and have a 400 2.8. Thanks Guys
David

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am in San Francisco and took the 90 instead of my 75 lux. I was very happy I had the 90 as was mentioned it was faster on the street then th 75 lux. For me a noce small lens. I shoot sports and have a 400 2.8. Thanks Guys
David
I spend about a week in SF each summer and do a lot of street shooting. I think you need the reach of the 90 and sometimes even the 135apo . The openness of the streets makes it a little more difficult than NYC to go with a 28/50 combination. Same for shooting around the water. Going back in mid July when it will be 90 in Atlanta and 70 in SF.

bradhusick

DON'T SELL THE 90!! If you're shooting on an M8 and plan to get an M9 you will want the reach of the 90. The 90 cron is a legend. Sell the 75 lux - it's too hard to focus anyway and too heavy.

T

tonyroth

Eh, I would say you are better off with the 75/1.4. Sell the 90/2 AA before they make a version II!
Why would they make a version II? While the current version doesn't have the floating element, it doesn't have focus shift either (at least mine doesn't present any I can discern in "normal" use). On the contrary, I would think a version II 75 lux would be far more likely at this point??

Seascape

I have tried many times to warm up to the 75 Lux but have always found the difficulty in focusing yields a low percentage of keepers.

I find the 90 AA an excellent complement to my 24, 35, 50 kit.

7Deuce

Not Available
I'm also thinking about selling my 90 AA and came here to see if there where any compelling arguments against doing so. I think the lens is nice for street, but I usually feel more comfortable shooting with my 50 lux, probably because I'm just more used to that focal length. I've tried to force myself to use the 90 more often by just not leaving my house with the 50 and am somewhat pleased with my results, but I find it a more challenging lens to use in the field.

Can any 90 AA veterans describe how they use the lens in various situations?

wolverine

I am here to talk you out of it... Sell it to me. :angel:
I have used this lens and it is stellar. I am looking for one.

M

Mango

Try carrying this lens around all day, including your regular M gear, and by the time the sun sets, you'll want to give it away. I had it for a while, and it never left home.

Yes, it's a spectacular lens, but if you don't take it to Timbuktu, and walk around all over Timbuktu with it, you won't get spectacular shots of Timbuktu.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Try carrying this lens around all day, including your regular M gear, and by the time the sun sets, you'll want to give it away. I had it for a while, and it never left home.

Yes, it's a spectacular lens, but if you don't take it to Timbuktu, and walk around all over Timbuktu with it, you won't get spectacular shots of Timbuktu.
The perfect advertisement for the 90/2.8 Elmarit if ever there was one :thumbs: you pretty much described why I sold my 90 'cron years ago.

Tim Gray

That's why I have the 90 macro - great travel lens.

I have been thinking of getting a 90 Summicron, APO or not I'm not sure. Part of me says I should just get an 85 or 135 for my Canon though...

John Black

If you like the 90 AA look, the 90mm Summarit comes pretty close. 90mm Elmarit prices have skyrocketed lately. The 90mm Summicrons still fly under radar and I like those for portraits. My only niggle with it is the color fringe in the bokeh which can be quite pronounced at times. On the plus side all the 90mm lenses are pretty good. On the downside, you can go crazy trying to sort through their subtle differences.

Paratom

I downt own the 90/2.0 but 75/1.4, 75/2.5, 90/2.8 and 90 Macro.
Of all those the 75 Summarit is my most used lens. Why?
1) It is fast to focus and very reliable regarding focus (no focus shift, short focus thred)
2) With the metal hood it is very good protected front element
3) Light weight, and small size
4) Even at f2.5 very nice IQ

So sell your 90AA and get a 75/2.5 and make a nice trip for the money difference