The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2 B&W images better?

edmund

Hi Everyone -
I am finally in the market for my first RF -

Most of my work is in B&W.

What do you all think of the B&W images on the M8.2 vs M9 -- and why?

I have heard the 8.2 produces better images... but why?

Thank you all

mathomas

I find my M8 (not .2) does very nice in-camera B&W JPGs (esp if you bump the contrast up one notch). Other than the firmware, I can't imagine why the M8/.2 would take better in-camera B&W than the M9.

FYI, a downside of in-camera JPG in the M8/.2 is that it's so slow. If you shoot RAW + JPG it's really annoying, so I've stopped that practice. If I want a B&W I convert the RAW in post processing (using Nik Silver Efex).

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The M8's do great B&W but not in camera. For good B&W use Photoshop with Alien Skin's Exposure.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I'm with John . . . . except I'd use Silver Efex Pro:p
Maybe I misunderstood but I remember a post that Jack commented on about the M8 for B&W. The thinking was that the way the M8 corrects for IR (using lens filters) produced raw file than converted into a cleaner looking black and white image. It was something about the M8 being under appreciated for its black and white capabilities.

The other difference between the M8 and the M9 is how the higher ISO files are corrected in camera for noise. The M9 appearing to kick in some noise reduction even on the raw files above ISO 640.

I also know that when I shot the M8 and the M9 together and did straight auto conversions in LR2 that the M8 files appeared cleaner .

This is from memory but it was my understanding...maybe someone can fill in the blanks. I am not an everyday black and white shooter.

Double Negative

Not Available
The reason the M8 is better at B&W is the same reason people bemoan it with color... The IR light passed (sans UV/IR filter of course) adds a little extra to the image.

With the M9, the IR filter is internalized and thus cannot be removed.

mathomas

The reason the M8 is better at B&W is the same reason people bemoan it with color... The IR light passed (sans UV/IR filter of course) adds a little extra to the image.

With the M9, the IR filter is internalized and thus cannot be removed.
That's right! Can't believe I forgot about that.

fotografz

In fact, if you can find a later production M8, I suggest that over the M8.2 for one reason ... it shoots to 1/8000th shutter speed ... which allows a bit wider aperture in brighter light.

That said, there are some user defined PS actions, or presets for LR, I'm now using for M9 files that do a great job of B&W conversions. Pretty darned close to my M8 stuff.

-Marc