The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am NOT going to sell my M9!

tom in mpls

Crazy moire. Even after removing most of the yellow, there remains lots of moire such as that in the left side of her bow (our right, her left).

V

Vivek

Tom, It is all about the moments and the memories. :thumbup:

(don't let the moire stuff distract you. I am sure you will figure out a way to overcome it)

bradhusick

Tom,
I think you found the "poster child" shot for moire! Look at the weird "blockies" just below her belt on her left. I think I would apply a nice soft filter effect to the whole dress!

Beautiful shot, still.

Here's a little lens blur, a little mono noise, and a selective desaturation of the yellow moire color.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Moire or not, you have done a beautiful job of photographing your lovely daughter. I'm so glad you didn't sell it!

tom in mpls

Moire or not, you have done a beautiful job of photographing your lovely daughter. I'm so glad you didn't sell it!
Thanks, Cindy. BTW, she tells me her date is the most BORING person in the world. As she is only a sophomore, I'm still sure it was a good experience. Ah, to be young again; I'm not so sure I could handle it.

panda81

Thanks, Cindy. BTW, she tells me her date is the most BORING person in the world. As she is only a sophomore, I'm still sure it was a good experience. Ah, to be young again; I'm not so sure I could handle it.
hahaha, i'm sure that is much more relieving to hear than her date being "incredibly exciting and passionate!" :ROTFL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
hahaha, i'm sure that is much more relieving to hear than her date being "incredibly exciting and passionate!" :ROTFL:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:Boring is good news when you are the father of a beautiful 16 year old.

panda81

quite off topic, but by the way, your backyard is gorgeous! i'm so jealous...here in houston, my backyard consists of sun-baked concrete and oil spills...

clay stewart

Nice shots of a beautiful girl, Tom.

I didn't realize the M9 had problems with moire. If this happened to a wedding dress, during a wedding and several hundred pics of the brides dress needed fixing, that could be quite a chore. Are there certain colors or fabrics that reproduce the moire all of the time? Does Leica recommend a filter to fix the moire problem?

proenca

Hi Tom,

Few things :

1 - you have a beautifull daghter
2 - the pics are fantastic
3 - glad you didnt sell the camera, you sure make good use of it
4 - man... your backyard... jesus .)

All in all, they were done with M9 but they could have been done with a M8 or a MP.. and the results would be similar : just smaller but still fantastic in the end : was the photographer and assertive use of focus + composition ( as in : YOU ) + soft light that makes all the difference in these photos.

But dont get all pumped up thinking you are the next HCB and sell your M9 for a diposable Kodak... keep your M9 :) nice to see it in good hands

ohdannyboy

Tom - just got back from South Africa and saw this post. I'm glad you didn't sell the M9 - the pictures you took of your beautiful daughter are FANTASTIC! Of course a lot of it has to do with the skills of the photographer himself, but good tools never hurt! :)

BTW, looks like you're going to have a lot of trouble with young suitors lining up! Time to buy a shotgun? :)

Bob Parsons

Tom several people have offered suggestions as to how the moire may be reduced but none completely remove it. If you have Photoshop one way to remove the color component is as follows. Open the file and use the mode function to convert from RGB to Lab. Now use the selection tool to select the dress or areas containing moire. Show the channels and select the a channel. Now use filters/gaussian blur and adjust the radius until the moire is no longer visible (10-20 pixels). Now repeat with the b channel. If you now view Lab you will see that the moire color has gone. Convert back to RGB.
This doesn't remove the luminance component of the moire so it's still visible, but not colored. C1 seems to make a good job of removing the luminance component and any color remaing could be removed as I've just described.

ETA: I've just realized you have C1. Use that to remove most of the moire and then the technique I've described to remove the remaining color.

Bob.

Bob Parsons

Hi Jono, on the examples you posted it looks as if the luminance component is still there. There's no color but some pattern remains. Maybe what's left isn't sensor moire but is because the fabric is semi transparent and multilayerd. The pattern is generated between the weave of the layers. The Lab method I described certainly reduces the pattern to a similar level.

Bob.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, on the examples you posted it looks as if the luminance component is still there. There's no color but some pattern remains. Maybe what's left isn't sensor moire but is because the fabric is semi transparent and multilayerd. The pattern is generated between the weave of the layers. The Lab method I described certainly reduces the pattern to a similar level.

Bob.
Hi Bob - of course, we haven't seen the material, but I was assuming that the actual pattern may have been there (I've certainly seen silk like that), at any rate, whether 'real' or not, it's hardly offensive enough to need dealing with.
The colour moire (which your more elaborate technique deals with), took only a couple of seconds in Aperture, with tools already there, and no need to shell out to another program.

all the best

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Tom several people have offered suggestions as to how the moire may be reduced but none completely remove it. If you have Photoshop one way to remove the color component is as follows. Open the file and use the mode function to convert from RGB to Lab. Now use the selection tool to select the dress or areas containing moire. Show the channels and select the a channel. Now use filters/gaussian blur and adjust the radius until the moire is no longer visible (10-20 pixels). Now repeat with the b channel. If you now view Lab you will see that the moire color has gone. Convert back to RGB.
This doesn't remove the luminance component of the moire so it's still visible, but not colored. C1 seems to make a good job of removing the luminance component and any color remaing could be removed as I've just described.

ETA: I've just realized you have C1. Use that to remove most of the moire and then the technique I've described to remove the remaining color.

Bob.
Isn't it much simpler to use the color replacement brush ?

Bob Parsons

Isn't it much simpler to use the color replacement brush ?
I tried that but found it didn't work too well. There are subtle color variations throughout the dress which are lost when you use the color replacement brush. If you keep sampling adjacent colors to avoid this then it becomes a lot of work.

Bob.