Site Sponsors

Thread: I am NOT going to sell my M9!

Post Thanks / Like

I am NOT going to sell my M9!

Some of you may be aware that I nearly sold my M9 here recently, but just couldn't do it.

Tonight my 16yo daughter went to her first prom, and I took some pics before her date arrived ("he's not my boyfriend! he's just a friend!"). I'm speechless with the results. I'm always proud of her, and tonight I'm also proud of me! Head shots with the 90 elmarit, full body shot with the 28 cron ASPH.

Click for larger views.

Attachment 30818Attachment 30819Attachment 30820
    There is moire in her dress. A small price to pay. As yet I haven't learned how to remove it.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 7th May 2012 at 19:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am NOT going to sell my M9!

good decision tom! your daughter is beautiful, great job capturing a memorable day of her life!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may be as happy to see you not selling it, Tom, as you are.

I winced, visably, when I saw your advert for it. Ya see, I categorize (no make that "profile") people to a fare thee well and I had you pegged as a Leica guy. There's something about fit, finish and use that gets into a Leica type's craw and fights getting out.

Not to mention that your lovely daughter deserves Leica! Hope she had a wonderful time.
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful daughter, beautiful shots. Well done, Tom.

I feel the same about my M8. One of these days I'll pick up an M9. Almost went for yours...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots Tom. As expected!

You made the right decision in keeping the camera.

Is the moire, the thing that looks like lines on the dress when you zoom in? I quite like it. It would make a nice pattern for a prom dress. My motto is - don't make work. I'd leave it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses to my shameless ploy for praise.

The members here are a lovely collection of generous and concerned friends.

Yes, the moire is seen in the yellow pattern on the dress. It does look as if it could be the actual pattern in the fabric. But it isn't.

One more.Attachment 30841
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 7th May 2012 at 19:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What makes these images work is two things - the model and the soft lighting. Equipment has little to do with it - kudos to the photographer!
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really like the colors, specially in the 28mm shot, I also like the last one a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,
    Great photos. There is a quality to M9/Leica photos that is almost intangible. Good decision not to sell it. It's the best 35mm digital out there, bar none.

It would make a great processing challenge for many of us to see if we can remove the moire in the full length photo. Would you post a link to the RAW file?

Keep shooting!

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos, absolutely gorgeous daughter, stunning photographer and lovely camera!

If I would own a M9 I would only sell it for a M10

PS: need to get my M9 pretty soon now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    What makes these images work is two things - the model and the soft lighting.
    I was pleased that there was a light overcast; perfect afternoon light and the perfect model.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    It would make a great processing challenge for many of us to see if we can remove the moire in the full length photo. Would you post a link to the RAW file?
    I have the file, but not sure how I can make it available. 36.4MB DNG file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Isn't it great to confirm you made the right choice not to sell your M9. You captured your daughter's beauty with style.

Another good (and free) option for sharing large files is MediaFire - file hosting made simple
    Last edited by Mark Gowin; 16th May 2010 at 15:51. Reason: fixed URL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom,

Beautiful photos of a beautiful subject! Glad you made the right choice!

Gary P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Another good (and free) option for sharing large files is MediaFire - file hosting made simple
    Here is a link to the original file. As you will see, it needed a good bit of processing to get exposure and colors corrected. Good luck with the moire.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful captures Tom...glad that you didn't sell it.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom:

Those are huge waves of Moire. I tried it in Capture One Pro with the Moire reduction to 100% and it cleared up 99% of it.

The experts on Capture One may be able to tell you the pitfalls of using the Moire control. To me, it looks like it looses a bit of sharpness and colour in the dress.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I use C1 but was not even aware of the moire reduction, thanks. It's a general rule, I think, that you lose something whenever you try to remove data from an image. "Huge waves" indeed! I had to go look at the dress to see if it was actually yellow and white, but it is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's the crop with CaptureOne moire control at zero and all the way up...

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy moire. Even after removing most of the yellow, there remains lots of moire such as that in the left side of her bow (our right, her left).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom, It is all about the moments and the memories.

(don't let the moire stuff distract you. I am sure you will figure out a way to overcome it)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,
    I think you found the "poster child" shot for moire! Look at the weird "blockies" just below her belt on her left. I think I would apply a nice soft filter effect to the whole dress!

Beautiful shot, still.

Here's a little lens blur, a little mono noise, and a selective desaturation of the yellow moire color.

Last edited by bradhusick; 18th May 2010 at 13:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Moire or not, you have done a beautiful job of photographing your lovely daughter. I'm so glad you didn't sell it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Moire or not, you have done a beautiful job of photographing your lovely daughter. I'm so glad you didn't sell it!
    Thanks, Cindy. BTW, she tells me her date is the most BORING person in the world. As she is only a sophomore, I'm still sure it was a good experience. Ah, to be young again; I'm not so sure I could handle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As a friend once told me, as a male prom date you should be "interested" not "interesting".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Thanks, Cindy. BTW, she tells me her date is the most BORING person in the world. As she is only a sophomore, I'm still sure it was a good experience. Ah, to be young again; I'm not so sure I could handle it.
    hahaha, i'm sure that is much more relieving to hear than her date being "incredibly exciting and passionate!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by panda81 View Post
    hahaha, i'm sure that is much more relieving to hear than her date being "incredibly exciting and passionate!"
    Boring is good news when you are the father of a beautiful 16 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Boring is good news when you are the father of a beautiful 16 year old.
    Don't for a minute think that I'm unaware of that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom
    Two minutes in Aperture:

Last edited by jonoslack; 19th May 2010 at 08:02.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

quite off topic, but by the way, your backyard is gorgeous! i'm so jealous...here in houston, my backyard consists of sun-baked concrete and oil spills...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots of a beautiful girl, Tom.

I didn't realize the M9 had problems with moire. If this happened to a wedding dress, during a wedding and several hundred pics of the brides dress needed fixing, that could be quite a chore. Are there certain colors or fabrics that reproduce the moire all of the time? Does Leica recommend a filter to fix the moire problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom,

Few things :

1 - you have a beautifull daghter
    2 - the pics are fantastic
    3 - glad you didnt sell the camera, you sure make good use of it
    4 - man... your backyard... jesus .)

All in all, they were done with M9 but they could have been done with a M8 or a MP.. and the results would be similar : just smaller but still fantastic in the end : was the photographer and assertive use of focus + composition ( as in : YOU ) + soft light that makes all the difference in these photos.

But dont get all pumped up thinking you are the next HCB and sell your M9 for a diposable Kodak... keep your M9 nice to see it in good hands

Post Thanks / Like

Tom - just got back from South Africa and saw this post. I'm glad you didn't sell the M9 - the pictures you took of your beautiful daughter are FANTASTIC! Of course a lot of it has to do with the skills of the photographer himself, but good tools never hurt!

BTW, looks like you're going to have a lot of trouble with young suitors lining up! Time to buy a shotgun?

Post Thanks / Like

Tom several people have offered suggestions as to how the moire may be reduced but none completely remove it. If you have Photoshop one way to remove the color component is as follows. Open the file and use the mode function to convert from RGB to Lab. Now use the selection tool to select the dress or areas containing moire. Show the channels and select the a channel. Now use filters/gaussian blur and adjust the radius until the moire is no longer visible (10-20 pixels). Now repeat with the b channel. If you now view Lab you will see that the moire color has gone. Convert back to RGB.
    This doesn't remove the luminance component of the moire so it's still visible, but not colored. C1 seems to make a good job of removing the luminance component and any color remaing could be removed as I've just described.

ETA: I've just realized you have C1. Use that to remove most of the moire and then the technique I've described to remove the remaining color.

Bob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    Tom several people have offered suggestions as to how the moire may be reduced but none completely remove it.
    Actually Bob - see above, Aperture removed it completely as far as I can see, and it took seconds

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono, on the examples you posted it looks as if the luminance component is still there. There's no color but some pattern remains. Maybe what's left isn't sensor moire but is because the fabric is semi transparent and multilayerd. The pattern is generated between the weave of the layers. The Lab method I described certainly reduces the pattern to a similar level.

Bob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, on the examples you posted it looks as if the luminance component is still there. There's no color but some pattern remains. Maybe what's left isn't sensor moire but is because the fabric is semi transparent and multilayerd. The pattern is generated between the weave of the layers. The Lab method I described certainly reduces the pattern to a similar level.

Bob.
    Hi Bob - of course, we haven't seen the material, but I was assuming that the actual pattern may have been there (I've certainly seen silk like that), at any rate, whether 'real' or not, it's hardly offensive enough to need dealing with.
    The colour moire (which your more elaborate technique deals with), took only a couple of seconds in Aperture, with tools already there, and no need to shell out to another program.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom several people have offered suggestions as to how the moire may be reduced but none completely remove it. If you have Photoshop one way to remove the color component is as follows. Open the file and use the mode function to convert from RGB to Lab. Now use the selection tool to select the dress or areas containing moire. Show the channels and select the a channel. Now use filters/gaussian blur and adjust the radius until the moire is no longer visible (10-20 pixels). Now repeat with the b channel. If you now view Lab you will see that the moire color has gone. Convert back to RGB.
    This doesn't remove the luminance component of the moire so it's still visible, but not colored. C1 seems to make a good job of removing the luminance component and any color remaing could be removed as I've just described.

ETA: I've just realized you have C1. Use that to remove most of the moire and then the technique I've described to remove the remaining color.

Bob.
    Isn't it much simpler to use the color replacement brush ?
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Isn't it much simpler to use the color replacement brush ?
    I tried that but found it didn't work too well. There are subtle color variations throughout the dress which are lost when you use the color replacement brush. If you keep sampling adjacent colors to avoid this then it becomes a lot of work.

Bob.

2x2

Here you go. Moiré's gone. What's left is the fabric.
    Done in Photoshop. Took mere seconds.

Also processed the picture a little different to get rid of the "dead body" look.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer the skin tones in Tom's original shot to this last version... YMMV.