The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 35 Lux announced

PeterA

@ f4 I see much more than 4 inches of acceptable sharp focus..front of 28 focus mark and back...

now increase distance to subject from 1 meter and you change all the useful focus distances appreciably upwards - consult a DOF table or make one up yourself.

there are lots of reasons for a pic to be not perfectly sharp exctly where one wants it- most of them more to do with user technique. These reasons impact on results in the main and for the typical user in typical hand held circumstances ( thats what rangefnders are for right??) much more than the inevitable cosequences of 'physics' and lens design

still the new 35lux should improve the theoretical best practise outcomes for those who think this is a major issue at very close focus ranges in open apertures..I just dont use a 35mm lens for such shots - preferring wider 28 or 21.

I would hazzad a guess that ensuring rangefinder is calibrated correctly and improving an individual's technique pays benefits - perhaps enough to reconsider cursing the (now) 'old' lux for deficiencies that are inconsistent and (IMHO) minor in practical useage situations.

of course ( to some) this expressed opinion justifies insults and rants directed at the writer - I feel sad for such people.

All the issues about focus shift and in fact back and front focus problems with particular lenses used on particular bodies are present in all 35mm camera systems and lenses - just read any CaNikon forum to familiarise onesef with quality control or lack thereof in terms of lens to lens in any focal length - especially in zooms.

Then step up to MF lenses on much larger resolution chips ( my main platform) and start coping with all sorts of limitations ...

these thoughts and experiences (of mine) puts things into a ( relative) perspective..(for me) - aperpspective that is 'short' fussing too much about small things and long 'what works for me'.

There is no perfection - there is just a series of (inveitable and forced) compromises in equipment choice for the task at hand.

In many ways for me - the Leica M system with all its rangefinder 'issues' still represents the easiest, most elegant and most joyfull means to get a great result (relative) to any camera system out there - irrepspective of its lack of perfection.

Of course I make no apologies for the fact that I am fortunate enough to own and use a great variety of camera systems and lenses - if nothing else I understand the strengths and weaknesses of a wide range of capture devices.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would hazzad a guess that ensuring rangefinder is calibrated correctly and improving an individual's technique pays benefits - perhaps enough to reconsider cursing the (now) 'old' lux for deficiencies that are inconsistent and (IMHO) minor in practical useage situations.
With all due respects, if you focus on the same location and, depending upon the aperture used & distance from the subject, the shot isn't exactly in focus where you expected it to be then it isn't the shooter's bad technique. If that's the characteristics of the lens then you learn quickly over time how to adjust for it manually by changing where you actually set the focus so that you get the desired result (I'll call it the Lee Travino approach to photography - i.e. if you hook the ball left, aim right ... :ROTFL:). However, if you're shooting portraits quickly at different apertures it definitely IS annoying to capture sharp noses or ears when you KNOW that you had focus on the eye. You can argue about the artistic merits as to whether it matters for some shots or not but it remains a frustration if you focus on X and end up with an image focused sharply on Y - some of the time. :wtf:

What's so bad about Leica fixing the problem? If they've come up with a lens that allows you to set the focus accurately in the viewfinder and nail the shot without having to adjust/fudge it then that's a good thing in my book. I'll certainly order one because it'll be nice not to have to wonder about whether I'd compensated for my close shots at f/2.8 or f/4 or f/5.6 to be sharp enough through manual adjustment of the focus point. (Btw, I still LOVE my current 35 'lux, minor focus shift & all!).

Last edited:

PeterA

No problem with wanting a lens that is better I have reservations about the better and perhaps that's how should have expressed my view. ...
As for golf I get your analogy (I play off a 4 handicap) however not being as talented as lee trevino I find it easier to just hit the ball straight
Straight means not only having a decent repeatable swing but also playing within yourself hence to close the analogy I would choose the right tool for the type of portrait shot you refer to my middle aged eyes need an aperture of f8 to give me the room for error on a 1 meter shot easier for me to step back and use a fifty or use wider
Anyway good luck with the new lens I would love to see a report from any buyer and user a comparison would be great!