The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Prices and Exchange Rates

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While I am certain Leica will not adjust US prices unless demands falls off..they are currently up to 20%+ higher than the UK or the Euro. A 21/.4 summilux for example looks to be about a $1000 cheaper in the UK or Germany .

Of course finding anything in stock I am sure is the issue.

Checking Robert White it seems that most other suppliers Nikon,Zeiss for example are close to the US prices.

Anybody finding this to their advantage?

atanabe

Roger,
A quick check of a shop in Germany shows the 50 Summicron with 19% VAT at 1550 Euro sans the VAT 1255. So that works out to $1898 with VAT or $1537 without while the retail price here is $1995. Quite a savings I would say. I wonder if US Leica contracts the price on the Euro or dollar?

This is why Hasselblad can offer a "Free" $7,200 lens I guess.

Remember in the 70s if you bought the 800 Telyt you got a VW Bug as a carrying case?

-Al

While I am certain Leica will not adjust US prices unless demands falls off..they are currently up to 20%+ higher than the UK or the Euro. A 21/.4 summilux for example looks to be about a $1000 cheaper in the UK or Germany .

Anybody finding this to their advantage?
Yes, indeed, since I´m in Europe....:p

The opposite situation about Adobe software, however. We have to pay far more, even for downloads of the English versions from the Adobe site....:cussing:

jonoslack

I remember when the Kodak 14n first came out, and the pound did a nasty, there was a point where you could get a flight to NY, spend a weekend in a good hotel, buy the camera from B&H and still save money.

We haven't quite got there yet.

atanabe

Jono,
Not quite there yet, Seattle to Frankfurt - $1300 RT so it would have to be a 21 or 24 Summilux to equal the trip cost savings. Buy an S2 and get flight and lodging? Buy an S2, 35, 70 and 180 get a rental car and guide :)

What a crazy world we live in!

John Black

Assuming a purchase made from Robert White UK and imported to the US, are there any brokers or customs fees incurred by a US recipient? I know my credit card charges 2-3% for the currency conversion. And would there be any warranty issues with Leica NJ?