The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best 3 lens film kit

hobbsr

Hi All,

Sorry to ask such a open question about lens and I know there is a wealth of information and views already posted.

I want to take an M6 and shot some film and wanted to see what the views are to the best 3 lens kit for film on the M6. I was thinking:

1. Leica 28mm 2.8 ASPH
2. 50mm 1.4 (pre-ASPH)
3. 90mm 2.0 cron

Look forward to your views.

Regards

Rodney

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Rodney

This depends on what type of shooting you do and where . For example in large cities or in europe I tend to go wider with my first lens. But if you get anywhere near water .. alot of times you just can t get closer . You style affects this as well ... how close do you usually get . Lots of factors.

It took me a while but now I rarely shoot with anything longer than a 50mm or wider than a 24mm. My first pick would be the 28/2 summicron and I think it pairs nicely with a 50 summilux either the preasph or the asph. And I do like the 90 asph a lot but it just doesn t get as much use.

Paratom

These days I often carry either combo of the follwoing 4 lenses:
24/1.4, 35/2.5 50/1.4, 75/2.5
For me 24,50,75 would work fine.
For some reason I dont carry 90 that often any more.

In earlier time I used just a M6 and 35/2.0 and 90/2.8 which was fine too, but today I am kind of a fan of 50mm.

dannh

Lately I've been restricting myself to these three: 21, 35/2 and 75/2. It's worked well and I especially like the 75/2. I've even been considering selling the 90/2, but haven't brought myself to do it because I just don't want to give up the longer reach, even though I don't use it so much anymore.

exile

Common three lens choices are 21, 35, 75, else 24, 50, 90/100

Personally, I am aiming towards 21, 35 , 90... though I think I am chasing a moving target in a three lens setup:eek:

Tim Gray

28 and 50 is a great set. I use it myself quite often. If you like 28, get the 28/2 and buy a cheaper 90/2.8 instead of the Summicron. If you are anything like me, you'll use the 90 a lot less than you suspect.

wjlapier

My M6 classic kit consist of Nikkor lenses. 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 LTM, and 50/1.4 S. When shooting RFers I prefer smaller lenses and because I shoot more in daytime I don't mind the slower speed of the wides. Surprisingly, the 50/1.4 is every bit as sharp as the current 50 cron when shot from f/2 on.

JMSPhoto

I'm thinking of a film system around the 50mm 1.4 pre-asph I recently purchased. With film, filter sizes are important, so what about a Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Biogen ZM, and a 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M to round out three lenses that use 46mm filters?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
My 3-lens kit for film Leica M body: 24 Elmarit ASPH, 35 Summilux ASPH, and 75 Summilux.

esy0345

24 2.8 ASPH, 35 cron version IV, 90 cron pre-ASPH, and 50 1.4 ASPH (with F1 Noctilux always in bag.) Seldom use the 24, though, so don't keep it in bag.

Don Hutton

I usually carry a 50mm 1.4 ASPH and a 28mm Summicron. If I'm going shooting indoors, I may grab the 18mm Zeiss; if I'm going outside I sometimes put a 90mm macro Elmar in the bag. I mostly just carry 2 lenses; almost never more than 3.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I typically use three - 21/1.4, 35/1.4 and 90/2.8 work for me on the M9. I have a WATE that I'll sometimes use if I need uber-wide.

M5-Guy

My M5:
3 lens kit film kit:

Voigtlander 25mm f/4
Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 SC
Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 T* A magic lens at f/1.5-f/2 if you understand the focus shift that Zeiss built into for these 2 apertures, and how to use it.

Last edited:
M

Mango

You should have rephrased your question thusly:

Your best 3-lens kit for (a) $15,000, (b) $10,000, (c) $5,000, (d) <$3,000; otherwise you'll always get the most expensive lenses as being the recommended ones, and nobody needs f1.0 or f1.4 for every lens. There's something to be said for having the 50mm f2.8 Elmar (collapsible) as one of the three lenses, as this lens has Leica pedigree in terms of being used a lot during the heyday of film.

ashwinrao1

I would think the following to be good 3 lens solutions

28/50/90
35/50/90 (my fav)
24/35/75
35/75/135

Depends on your flavor, what you have...Your kit sounds lovely as is...