The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8/9 with one extra lens: best small bag.

tom in mpls

Everybody's favorite, and most vehemently debated, topic: bags!

The M is for traveling light. I want a bag big enough for the body with one lens attached, one extra lens, an extra battery, that's it. 50 lux and 28 cron perhaps. No battery charger. No iPad. Nada. Okay, a lens cloth. But that's it! I mean it. I'm more interested in style and function than cost.

Maybe small is too small?

Opinions please.

dannh

Hey Tom, Domke F-5xb is my choice. Fits M9, 35 cron, 75 cron, extra batteries and SD cards, and even the charger if you want.

My one gripe with it is the loud velcro sound every time I open the flap. I've gotten over it but would prefer another locking mechanism.

wjlapier

The F-5XB is my choice for my GF1 and three lens kit, but at one time it was also my bag for MP/50cron/35cron and some film.

Another small bag is the Mountainsmith Reflex II. The smaller one can easily carry your M9 and either lens attached with the other lens in the other side of the divider. Plenty of pockets to put batteries and cards, as well as keys and other little things. It's small and cube shaped. I've had this bag for several years and it's still one of my go to bags for a quick walk around.

Looks like this one:

http://www.adorama.com/MSR2MBK.html

I'll have to check the size of mine--I think it's the medium.

mathomas

Domke F-5XA. All the good features of the F-5XB, but a little smaller. Relatively inexpensive (esp compared to the A&A stuff). Should fit your body+lens+lens perfectly.

John Black

Alittle on the pricey side - Artisan & Artist GCAM 1100 which is probably very similar to the ACMA 3000 shown above. I wrote a quick review here. I may have been a bit hard on the bag in the review, in hindsight it really is a nice bag if wanting to travel with a simple 1 or 2 lens kit.

Domke F-8 is the smallest one that really works for me. While it would actually swallow both iPod and charger if needed (sorry, Tom...;)), the important thing is that I can instantly grab, or put away, my camera with either of my 2 lenses (35 and 75 Summicron) mounted. Also, it doesn´t look like it contains a small fortune, but gives adequate protection. It´s smaller than the F-5, but doesn´t have a belt loop.

In my experience, fast and easy working is far more important than shaving the last few centimeters off the size of a bag. And those extra pockets DO come in handy at times....

mathomas

Domke F-8 is the smallest one that really works for me. While it would actually swallow both iPod and charger if needed (sorry, Tom...;)), the important thing is that I can instantly grab, or put away, my camera with either of my 2 lenses (35 and 75 Summicron) mounted. Also, it doesn´t look like it contains a small fortune, but gives adequate protection. It´s smaller than the F-5, but doesn´t have a belt loop.

In my experience, fast and easy working is far more important than shaving the last few centimeters off the size of a bag. And those extra pockets DO come in handy at times....
Thanks for that photo, and the F-8 recommendation. I've been curious about how a small Leica kit might fit into one of the non F-5* series. I have to admit one thing I don't like about the F-5's is that you have to get your gear past the zippered opening, which can be tricky if the bag is stuffed.

wjlapier

The F-5XB is my choice for my GF1 and three lens kit, but at one time it was also my bag for MP/50cron/35cron and some film.

Another small bag is the Mountainsmith Reflex II. The smaller one can easily carry your M9 and either lens attached with the other lens in the other side of the divider. Plenty of pockets to put batteries and cards, as well as keys and other little things. It's small and cube shaped. I've had this bag for several years and it's still one of my go to bags for a quick walk around.

Looks like this one:

http://www.adorama.com/MSR2MBK.html

I'll have to check the size of mine--I think it's the medium.
It's medium. Another thing. While on the Oregon coast this past spring we got caught in a huge downpour while walking on the beach, but everything in the bag was dry when I got back to our room. Something to consider.

One final thing. The strap can be extended so that you can wear is bandolier style and the bag will be off your hip depending on how tall you are--I'm 6ft.

tom in mpls

It's medium. Another thing. While on the Oregon coast this past spring we got caught in a huge downpour while walking on the beach, but everything in the bag was dry when I got back to our room. Something to consider.
That is my concern with the Artisan & Artist GCAM 1100.

M

Mango

The downpour argument, while graphic, is to me a straw argument, for if anyone ventures into a potential monsoon with any type of gear, they should be prepared, no matter what the bag.

Most Lowepro backpacks come with a bright yellow plastic wet weather cover. Use when needed.

For Domke bags, or other bags that do not have such a cover, and are not rated for a category 5 hurricane, it's easy to carry an ultra-thin, transparent garbage bag liner. It folds down to a miniscule size and fits between the camera compartment and the outer shell of the bag. Weighs nothing. Use when needed. Carry an extra one to keep your head dry. Or to carry on shooting in the downpour, by poking a hole in the plastic liner and putting the camera in the liner.

End of water induced bag anxiety. :)

jonoslack

Fogg bags look an awful lot like Billingham - any relationship? I have a Billingham bag for my Xpan that looks almost exactly like that bag.
HI Lars
Not connected - Whereas Billingham have gone on to bigger things, Fogg bags are still made by Nigel Fogg and bee berman who started the company.
There are similarities (and they do make a bag for the Xpan), but they usually have linen linings and more leather than the Billingham bags, and the protection is integral rather than with an insert. (they're also more expensive, understandably).

all the best