The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8/9 with one extra lens: best small bag.

T

tokengirl

For those of you concerned with weather resistance, visiting a fly fishing shop rather than a camera shop may prove to be fruitful. Specifically, check out some of Simms' offerings, such as their Headwaters and Dry Creek chest and waist packs. Patagonia may have a couple of offerings as well, like their Sub Divider bag.

Hacker

I have both the A&A and the Flute. Never worried about downpours here in the hot, tropical climate where I live. But I would not continue shooting in a downpour. Camera and bag is not designed for those situations.

tom in mpls

I have both the A&A and the Flute. Never worried about downpours here in the hot, tropical climate where I live. But I would not continue shooting in a downpour. Camera and bag is not designed for those situations.
No, I wouldn't be doing that, but my concern is just getting caught in the rain.

Hacker

No, I wouldn't be doing that, but my concern is just getting caught in the rain.
These bags can easily take a downpour until you find the nearest shelter. Talking in minutes and running from building to building instead of being caught in the open field on a hike.

jonoslack

These bags can easily take a downpour until you find the nearest shelter. Talking in minutes and running from building to building instead of being caught in the open field on a hike.
Hmm living in the UK if you run for shelter every time it rains you don't get much of a walk!

We were out for an hour in the rain yesterday with the flute without problem, the outside got wet, the inside didn't. But, to be honest, I'd have thought that would be the case with most bags.

Paratom

Tamrac Expo1-I dont know how it is called today.
It is perfect for the combo you suggest plus you coud fit a small flash or another small lens in the front department (if its empty it doesnt add any room).
Over the years I have owned many bags but this is the one which I allways liked for at least 15 years now (in earlier times I used it for a M6+35+90mm).

tom in mpls

Tamrac Expo1-I dont know how it is called today.
It is perfect for the combo you suggest plus you coud fit a small flash or another small lens in the front department (if its empty it doesnt add any room).
Over the years I have owned many bags but this is the one which I allways liked for at least 15 years now (in earlier times I used it for a M6+35+90mm).
Still available.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tom,

I've just come back from a couple of weeks in Europe with my M9 & 21/35/90 and had great success with my Domke F-803 rugged wear edition. It's nice and narrow and not too puffed up and doesn't scream camera bag at all. It's very much like a brown Barbour jacket material with canvas strap and looks very low key. I actually slipped the red liner from my A&A Image Smith in it to replace the Domke fittings and it was perfect for a camera/lens combo plus a couple of extra lenses.

As you mentioned in the original post though - sometimes you can end up too small. Just a thought.

Paratom

yes, this is it.
The great thing is that it has just enough foam to protect your gear but not enough to make it stiff and large. It carries very well on the shoulder and it also fits in every medium size backpack in case you also want to bring it on hikes or city trips and have times where you dont shoot much.
It opens quick and the zippers guarantee safe protection.

BeeWee

I've been using the ThinkTank Skin 50 for a M8.2 w/ either 28/2.8 or 50/2 attached + a 90 tele-elmarit on the bottom with either the 28 or 50 in a leica leather case on top of the 90 tele-elmarit. It fits everything perfectly and there's a pocket for battery/SD cards.

The 90 tele-elmarit takes up next to no room on the bottom of the bag but if you were to leave the leica leather case out, it would be just a touch loose. The bag also comes with a rain cover which is stored in a small zippered pocket on the bottom of the bag which serves as some padding/protection.

The only thing you need to add to make this a small shoulder bag is a shoulder strap of your choice. I had a spare thinktank strap kicking around so I use that to turn this pouch into a very compact shoulder bag but any strap will work as long as you can hook them to the two attachment loops on top of the bag.

The bag itself has a elastic draw cord that can be used to close the main compartment and the flap has velcro which can be covered so that the vecro is not being used. Or you can partially cover the velcro so that it's not has hard to open the flap.

All in all, it's a great little bag for just strolling around. It's well made, super light (weighs 5 ounces or less than 150g), cheap and doesn't attract attention.

wjlapier

Hey Tom,
someone mentioned the Domke F5XA. I was curious about this bag and bought one. My M3 and Tanack 50/2 on one side and my two LTM Nikkors 35/28 3.5 lenses back to back in the other side, with plenty of room to spare for film. Two little pockets in front before the flap is lowered holds LTM>M adapters and some filters. I guess I found my bag for one M body kit :thumbup:

Bill

thrice

The zip is starting to get to me on the f-5xb. For its inconvenience, noise and potential to scratch a painted camera. Any suggestions on an f-5xb sized bag, with belt loops, that looks rather nice but is still weather resistant? I looked at the Billingham's but none in that sort of size has belt loops.