Site Sponsors

Thread: M8.2 Dead?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation M8.2 Dead?

I just got back home from a 3 week trip and noticed that my M8.2 does not cannot turn on. When I flick the switch from "off" to "s" or "c", the orange LED near the bottom right of the LCD screen flashes momentarily but then the camera never boots up (no battery or frame indicator in the window).

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M8.2 Dead?

When the red light flickers it means you have inadequate charge to start up the camera. You have only a few things to try . (1)recharge battery (2)try another battery (3) clean the battery contacts.

Not seen this on the M8.2 but frequently on the DMR. I clean my contacts with a pencil eraser. And use a bulb blower to clean out any dust.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All good tips from Roger EXCEPT the pencil eraser.

That (eraser) is essentially hardened rubber. The hardening agent is Sulfur (a process called "vulcanisation"). Sulfur loves gold (electrical contacts) and would damage it beyond use after repeated applications.

So, avoid the pencil eraser to clean gold plated contacts.

[related but useful tip: Sulfur has strong affinity to Silver as well. If you cut onions or garlic and want to get rid of the smell quick, touch any silverware. All the smelly stuff (Sulfur compounds) would be transferred to the silverware (blackening it in that process) and you fingers will be smell free.]

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your local radio shack sells contact cleaner pens that will do this job perfectly without any corrosive side effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Your local radio shack sells contact cleaner pens that will do this job perfectly without any corrosive side effects.
    Yikes Good tip on the eraser .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    All good tips from Roger EXCEPT the pencil eraser.

That (eraser) is essentially hardened rubber. The hardening agent is Sulfur (a process called "vulcanisation"). Sulfur loves gold (electrical contacts) and would damage it beyond use after repeated applications.

So, avoid the pencil eraser to clean gold plated contacts.

[related but useful tip: Sulfur has strong affinity to Silver as well. If you cut onions or garlic and want to get rid of the smell quick, touch any silverware. All the smelly stuff (Sulfur compounds) would be transferred to the silverware (blackening it in that process) and you fingers will be smell free.]
    Is this true for all kinds of erasers, or just the traditional rubber-based pink ones that are of the abrasive kind?
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the point is that any eraser is ultimately abrasive and gold plated contacts are soft. Not a great combination for the long term.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I think the point is that any eraser is ultimately abrasive and gold plated contacts are soft. Not a great combination for the long term.
    That was not the point.

Sulfur binds to gold and that surface would become non conducting or less conducting over a period of (ab)use with an eraser.

Lars, It is safe to assume all erasers will have Sulfur, though there may be exceptions to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips. I fully recharged the battery and let the camera sit for a good 14hrs and upon putting the battery back the camera came back to life.

I think the camera just drained itself while in the bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That was not the point.

Sulfur binds to gold and that surface would become non conducting or less conducting over a period of (ab)use with an eraser.

Lars, It is safe to assume all erasers will have Sulfur, though there may be exceptions to this.
    Well, it may not have been your point, but it was mine. There's plenty of discussion about the mechanically abrasive nature of erasers on gold and other plated contacts too.