Site Sponsors
Page 62 of 103 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 5144

Thread: The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Chasles you are so fortunate to be near the Gold coast! I particularly like this one......really wonderful....the Leica makes a super landscape camera...I'm now back and settled in Houston and will have to think about what I'm going to shoot down here......I'll be shooting landscapes from the high artic Svalbard but that's not until next June so for now, it's the Gulf Coast! eleanor
    perfect timing to come back for the great weather we're having these few weeks! unfortunately i have a hard time finding places to shoot in houston ...maybe the oil-soaked beaches of galveston?
    Jerry
    Flickr

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    And there's something about this one, also heavily modified, that I dig...very heavyhanded processing, but hey, what the heck...

Pat yourself on your back and put this one in your book. Magic
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by panda81 View Post
    absolutely incredible kurt! whatever new processing you're doing, keep it coming because it's fantastic!
    I like it too, Kurt. Nice to see your photography progressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one with my new (really old) Canon 85 1.5. Lovely lens!

Post Thanks / Like

And there's something about this one, also heavily modified, that I dig...very heavyhanded processing, but hey, what the heck...

WOW! What a great shot! Most of the photos of this couple/series is really good!

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor, thank you for your kind words!
    I lived in Houston for 2 years, as a consultant, then for Conoco. But you must visit the Eastern coast of Oz, and it is very beautiful, this time of the year. As you are well aware, landscape shots in Australia, can be very stark with the extreme lighting, and scrub bushlands.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles on the same trip (years ago) that we visited Australia's Gold Coast, we also drove/flew (small plane) and went by boat (milford sound) the South Island of New Zealand. Have you spent any time in NZ? eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    Eleanor, thank you for your kind words!
    I lived in Houston for 2 years, as a consultant, then for Conoco. But you must visit the Eastern coast of Oz, and it is very beautiful, this time of the year. As you are well aware, landscape shots in Australia, can be very stark with the extreme lighting, and scrub bushlands.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, wonderful pic...Pike's place? By the way, your book is outstanding!

Brad, congrats on the new gem. I don't think I'll have one of those for a while, but here's to hoping ; )....keep posting, can't wait to see how it performs in the drizzle of the Pac NW

Ed. Thanks! Hope to see you at Glazers someday soon! As for the couple, they are very natural, making photos a piece of cake!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, Guy. As the creator of this wonderful space that we all inhabit and an amazing photographer to boot , it's a big honor to receive such a kind comment from you. It really means a lot. I am trying to find some funds to get one of your prints, but lenses keep clouding my vision

Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My vision too. I bought 3 lenses in the last three days. This has got to stop. LOL

I wish I could get on this side of the forum more often to browse what you folks are doing but when I do I see some really nice stuff, a lot of my day is just helping people and i do enjoy that. But no secret about it I want a M9 myself. I spent almost 2 years with the M8 and all it's issues. My problem as a single system it could not get it all done but with dual systems now there is a chance I can get back in. Now it is a matter of funding. M9 3 lenses to start for me it would be 24,35 and 75 for full frame just about perfect than add a 50 prelux. Afraid to add that up

Anyway I actually do watch how people grow here and folks are getting better all the time. Patience, desire and a willingness to learn and experiment. Sometimes in all honesty I look around and see how wonderful the folks are doing here and it certainly gives me a smile. This forum is all about images and as shooters we got to love that. Just remember my door is always open to anyone that needs help.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, the challenges of funding more than one system. Guy, I know you would love the M9, and heck I'd love to see some of your magic on this thread . It is the M8, sans warts...and the glass, the glorious glass. But I can imagine that one must focus somewhat on a "reasonable" system (), and Leica entry is so dang expensive, despite the glory of its glass. The 24/35/75 with a 50 preLux to follow sounds perfect. But even that would top 10K just to get into...yikes....

In some ways, I wonder now and again whether the M9 and 50 is enough, but then I think of the creative possiblities of wide vs long, asph design vs Mandler vs pre-Mandler rendering, and the list goes on.

Thanks again! One day soon, I'll be joining you guys for one of your work shops...Salton Sea again any time soon?

Best,
    Ashwin
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Recent pic at Pike Place Market. All M9 50 Lux Asph
    Sampling peaches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Ok... buried with work just now, and hopelessly behind on commenting on the consistently amazing work posted here. Let me just say this at least:

Charles: Great Gold Coast street shots, and the "after the rain" shots... wow! Loved the casual portrait too. I think I prefer the b/w, but both are nice.
    Woody: The shots with the 16 are amazing. I didn't even know that lens existed.
    Leif: Priceless shot of your daughter and her cousin's baby.
    Don: Wonderful stuff in Ouray (including Sandy's), and the river and color shots too. Loved the old cars as well.
    summarita: Wow. Great portraits!
    Joe: Very nice... Dammit man, you went and made me homesick again!
    Steven: I said it already, but I'll say it again, those shots at Silver Lake are great! (Glad you escaped that moose!) The other autumn shots are really nice as well.
    Steve: Excellent set. I especially like the self-portrait.
    Mike: I swear everything you post here is classic Leica magic... the bridesmaids and the onlookers in particular. Love the shadows and diagonals shot a lot as well.
    Kurt: Gorgeous images. Loved the falls especially.
    boymerang: Great Nocti shots, that last of the child over the shoulder is priceless.
    Ashwin: Wow. Where to even begin. Those NYC shots are unbelievable! Some of the Nocti stuff looks like tilt/shift. And your eye never fails. Really wonderful wedding shots as well.
    Jan: Great catch with Lunch Break. Nice b/w as well. The color shot is great too.
    Eleanor: I'm going to miss your Colorado shots, but those passing lights shots are a lot of fun too. Hope you made it safely to Houston.
    David: The Oyster bar shots are wonderful. Love the warm light. Great composition.

So... I hope I haven't missed anyone. If so, it certainly isn't intentional, and I'm sure I loved your work!

Thanks everyone, for the consistent inspiration.
    Wow - that's an impressive job of catching up -this is what happens if you miss a couple of days here!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing pair of images, Ed. Great stuff. Love the colors, and how these images, particularly the first, just pop off the screen!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rchisholm View Post
    Robert, magnificent. 85f/1.5 canon? Well, it is magic in your hands....amazing background blur, and beautifully captured model!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That lens is a real beauty, and so is this image. I love your choice for the background and your color sense is right on in this image. Having your main subject looking away from the camera lends an air of mystery too. Makes the viewer want to know "Now what is it that she is looking at?"
    Last edited by Chuck Jones; 7th October 2010 at 20:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=m_driscoll;252272]Chuck: Great analysis of David's photos. Keep it coming. Both of the photos that you posted are stunning! Interesting looks and eye direction in that first one. My niggle with the 21 is that I have to use a viewfinder. With the 24, i can do without.

Matt, yes using an external viewfinder does take some time getting used to, but then so does everything else of any real value in photography. Look at the hours you've obviously put in yourself. Have you really ever tried a 21 without the viewfinder? Try it. You may be surprised. No, you can't see the extreme edges, and yes that probably does mean you will be cropping to about a 24mm field of view in post. So what? I never read the rule book where it said you can't crop into a frame. Art directors and agencies do it all the time.

The only exception is if you are shooting journalistic news. There, your frame is your frame and you're stuck with it, so the viewfinder is essential. For everything else, heck just wing it and crop. It's your subject you are shooting, the extreme edges are usually just for background anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent shots Ed!
    Eleanor, yes I have spent some time NZ, and it is truly a very picturesque country.
    Chuck love your comments and energy!
    Guy, excellent to hear your comments and your contribution to helping everyone!!! Now you just need to add the M9 to your collection
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, magnificent shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy said that I had to post something from my new M9 (I just got it on Monday from Monza/Precsicion Camera). I also just upgraded my C1 to the Pro version (thanks to Doug/Capture Integration), so I'm taking baby steps. These two are with my $85 Jupiter 8 (Russian 50 f/2).
    Remnant of mid-1800's sawmill on the Mullet River

Just enjoying fall in Wisconsin
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 8th October 2010 at 06:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Way to go Cindy
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking good Cindy maybe a touch warm. I noticed in my review of this but again this was before some software updates in C1 and LR that the M9 renders a little warm. Now I have not gone back with new updates to check either. In these Cindy keep a eye on your sky which is the sign you are running not as blue but to the warm side. But landscapes can be anything you want so no need to worry until you get to skin tones than you may want to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Kuau and Guy. Guy I just went back in and tweaked the channel to bring down the yellow. I was just converting some NEX photos from the same scene, and they were not as warm at 5700 as the M9.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 8th October 2010 at 07:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the M9 looks to still have that tendency. I got your note BTW so let me bring this up in public for all. In C1 the profile is very nice for the M9 but if anything and you can play with this folks to see if it helps. I know everyone likes saturation but I found compared to the Phase P30 + when I tested which really is the gold standard in regards to WB a scene properly the M9 was a little warm and it was a little saturated. What I did was cool it down a little like 200 or 300 kelvin and backed off on Saturation a few points. Now if you want to go test this out say in bright sun just grab a good color checker card with you and from camera just hold out in front of you take a shot. Than watch the WB in C1 or LR for that matter and use your white balance tool and hit the second grey in from white. Watch the WB change on you as you do that and you should see it get a touch cooler.

Now this is pretty much a Kodak sensor tendency so nothing wrong with your M9 and it's profile and it actually sometimes is preferred to be on the warm side. If you liked Kodachrome there you go. Just some things to get under your belt and understand how these sensors read. If interested go back to my M9 review and i talk a lot about this.
    Hope this helps a little.

One thing Cindy mentioned was with fall color she tends to like it a little warm and I completely agree. WB means nothing as long as you are on a calibrated system and you like what you see than the artist takes over on that decision and as it should. Again there are no rules in photography for visual impact, do what you like. I bring these things up more for help in understanding how the process works so folks have this data in there head to work with. The better data you know the less confusion in the field which is not the place to cloud your brain with the junk but concentrate on the shot.

I see this a lot on workshops when folks get wound up on the tech but lose sight of what they are doing with the shot. Totally understandable as we are all learning. But as we get more experience in the process than we have more brain power for the art. That is what you want to get too.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Picasso's at the Seattle Art Museum. This is in Post Alley; a block away. Cheers, Matt.

M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/350s @ f/1.7; ISO 80

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing pair of images, Ed. Great stuff. Love the colors, and how these images, particularly the first, just pop off the screen!
    Ed: +1, What he said. Very cool. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I love the M9 in the morning... it smells like VICTORY!

ISO 800, 35mm Summilux (new) at f/1.4

Brad: Great photo; great lens! Lake Washington, somewhere? Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, wonderful pic...Pike's place? By the way, your book is outstanding!...
    Ashwin: Thanks; yes it was; and thanks, again!

Robert, magnificent. 85f/1.5 canon? Well, it is magic in your hands....amazing background blur, and beautifully captured model!
    Robert: +1, what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Chuck: Great analysis of David's photos. Keep it coming. Both of the photos that you posted are stunning! Interesting looks and eye direction in that first one. My niggle with the 21 is that I have to use a viewfinder. With the 24, i can do without.
    Matt, yes using an external viewfinder does take some time getting used to, but then so does everything else of any real value in photography. Look at the hours you've obviously put in yourself. Have you really ever tried a 21 without the viewfinder? Try it. You may be surprised. No, you can't see the extreme edges, and yes that probably does mean you will be cropping to about a 24mm field of view in post. So what? I never read the rule book where it said you can't crop into a frame. Art directors and agencies do it all the time.

The only exception is if you are shooting journalistic news. There, your frame is your frame and you're stuck with it, so the viewfinder is essential. For everything else, heck just wing it and crop. It's your subject you are shooting, the extreme edges are usually just for background anyway.
    Chuck: Good comments. Thanks. I've got the Leica 21/24/28 viewfinder and a Zeiss 21mm. I should practice with it. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Way to go Cindy
    Cindy: +1. Nice $85 lens. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post

Chuck: Good comments. Thanks. I've got the Leica 21/24/28 viewfinder and a Zeiss 21mm. I should practice with it. Cheers, Matt.
    Matt. I hear you. I own the 21/24/28 viewfinder, and also actually prefer the smaller dedicated 21, which I also own. But it doesn't really matter, sometimes I use, most often I don't. Just one more thing to futz with....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yes the M9 looks to still have that tendency. I got your note BTW so let me bring this up in public for all. In C1 the profile is very nice for the M9 but if anything and you can play with this folks to see if it helps. I know everyone likes saturation but I found compared to the Phase P30 + when I tested which really is the gold standard in regards to WB a scene properly the M9 was a little warm and it was a little saturated. What I did was cool it down a little like 200 or 300 kelvin and backed off on Saturation a few points. Now if you want to go test this out say in bright sun just grab a good color checker card with you and from camera just hold out in front of you take a shot. Than watch the WB in C1 or LR for that matter and use your white balance tool and hit the second grey in from white. Watch the WB change on you as you do that and you should see it get a touch cooler.

Now this is pretty much a Kodak sensor tendency so nothing wrong with your M9 and it's profile and it actually sometimes is preferred to be on the warm side. If you liked Kodachrome there you go. Just some things to get under your belt and understand how these sensors read. If interested go back to my M9 review and i talk a lot about this.
    Hope this helps a little.

One thing Cindy mentioned was with fall color she tends to like it a little warm and I completely agree. WB means nothing as long as you are on a calibrated system and you like what you see than the artist takes over on that decision and as it should. Again there are no rules in photography for visual impact, do what you like. I bring these things up more for help in understanding how the process works so folks have this data in there head to work with. The better data you know the less confusion in the field which is not the place to cloud your brain with the junk but concentrate on the shot.

I see this a lot on workshops when folks get wound up on the tech but lose sight of what they are doing with the shot. Totally understandable as we are all learning. But as we get more experience in the process than we have more brain power for the art. That is what you want to get too.
    Guy, I know you don't regularly use it, but Lightroom 3 I find the daylight basic color balance with the M9 to be spot on. Surprised me, as the ones for the M8 are total crap still. Artificial light though, it's back to crap in Lightroom.... I've got to get around to making up some of my own night time artificial profiles and see if I can't improve these...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well C1 i use for the Phase so reason I stay with that. Also been using it since day one. I know LR 3 got a lot better and that is a good thing all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First day of snow in Park City.
    Trying to keep my M9 dry

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steven,
    These are all beautiful. I'd like to see the last one printed. It is amazing. What a bummer to see snow coming already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Cindy,
    I am actually looking forward to the snow and ski season.

-steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    First day of snow in Park City.
    Trying to keep my M9 dry
    Steven
    Truly beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sort of a combination list of thanks and great shots to: Charles, Leif, Steven, Steve, Ashwin, Lloyd, Don, Matt, Joe, Jerry, Peter and Eleanor.

More specifically, Chuck great to see you on the thread ... it's been awhile but I can still picture the intimacy and magical colors of the Mexico shots you posted several years ago on that other forum ... they are/were alive in so many wonderful ways.

David K, thanks for the thumbs up. It's interesting to see how others use photography to express their view of the world that is around them. I can feel your smile every time I view one of your exotic model shoots.

Cindy, enjoy the M9! It's an awesome camera. Great to see your views of the colorful Wisconsin landscape ... just head south before you get caught in the cold.

Steven, gorgeous, gorgeous landscape shots. Love the snow on the Aspens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I love best about this thread is its willy-nilly nature. It's a pleasure to open it up each day to see what's new and interesting from such a fine group of fellow photographers. Cheers.

Here are a few more images from the immigration reform march I shot earlier in the year. Personally, I find it fascinating to try to capture the emotions of the people and events caught in the middle ... between the increasingly politically polarized ends of the spectrum that have come to define American living.

Since I have a camera and can make the effort to try to attend these events, I'm consciously trying to more often seek out as many of these situations as I can. It's mostly out of curiosity, a need to understand an issue and the challenge of trying to photographically express the emotion expressed by the participants.

Sometimes my efforts fall flat ... but at other times, if I feel like I'm getting closer to inserting the viewer into the event. In those instances, I feel like I've succeeded in providing insight into the human condition that is more than just a manufactured sound bite.

Many apologies for indulging in my philosophical meandering.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent reportage, Kurt!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt, going out to find your book. I am sure it is going to be excellent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Ed, magnificent shots!
    Thanks Otumay, Charles. Your photos and this thread are a daily inspiration.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt, your choice of immigration reform as a subject matter is very timely. I've got more interest and more experience than the average person in this area as my business interests include importing golf course maintenance workers under the H2B program. To say that the system is broken would be an understatement. In any event, I really like your execution and processing on these and think it helps to convey the story. And as far as my model shooting goes it does make me smile. One of the nice things about living in Florida is the abundance of very attractive models.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for a new 135mm to arrive in order to take it on this trip and I'm still waiting. I was fortunate enough to find a used one in good condition that I was able to pick up at the very beginning of this trip. I've been using the used one to shoot landscape and now wildlife and really like it. Yesterday Sandy & I decided to take a trip from Jackson into Yellowstone and returning late yesterday afternoon we encountered this herd of bison which were all captured using the 135mm.

I'm sorry that I've been very lax in commenting on the great work here lately however our shooting days are close to 10 hours then we also have the computer time as well. We're averaging around 14 hour days so far and we still have at least 2-weeks to go. Today is our first real rest day although we are planning on going out this afternoon for evening light.

More image are or will be on our blog shortly.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hank Freeman of Duncan YoYos at the National YoYo Contest

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Pike Place Market. The musician in the hat was just enjoying the sitar player. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/8; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

2. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/2000s @ f/1.7; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

3. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/2000s @ f/1.7; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=m_driscoll;252882]Pike Place Market. The musician in the hat was just enjoying the sitar player. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. M9; 24mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/8; -2/3 EV; ISO 80

Hi Matt,
    Nice shots!
    I must have missed the short burst of sun here in Seattle.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

3 dimensional with superb color! Very nice!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edtan View Post
    Recent pic at Pike Place Market. All M9 50 Lux Asph
    Sampling peaches.
    Fantastic!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Guy said that I had to post something from my new M9 (I just got it on Monday from Monza/Precsicion Camera). I also just upgraded my C1 to the Pro version (thanks to Doug/Capture Integration), so I'm taking baby steps. These two are with my $85 Jupiter 8 (Russian 50 f/2).
    Remnant of mid-1800's sawmill on the Mullet River

Just enjoying fall in Wisconsin
    Cindy...Big Congrats On The New Rig & A Nice Start With Your Posts! Looking Forward To More..!