The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

m_driscoll

Ashwin outstanding images!!! :thumbs: The B&W shots of the wedding are amazing. I love how the bride is separated but very connected in the shot, while there are large crowd around. The 50 Lux is an extraordinary lens.
I hope to receive my 50 Lux Asph, this after being sent away to Germany to be recalibrated.

Here are two photos taken this morning, Springbrook, in the hinterland of the Gold Coast. Taken with the ZM 25/2.8 and M9

Charles: All four are beautiful images! :thumbup: I like the foreground and background quality of this one. The falls is also spectacular. :salute:

Ashwin: It's only a 17.5 hr flight with a stop in San Francisco! And, since you've gone all of that way, you'll have to visit NZ, also.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Mike Woods

HOLY CATS!!! That flat KNOCKS MY SOCKS OFF!!:bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes:

Ashwin... we're not worthy!!:salute::salute::salute:

(The other shots you've posted today are great too, btw.)
+1 from me - this is a great image, added to which this is just one hell of a thread.

The other day I was thinking about suggesting a critique thread, but at this rate there doesn't seem much point :ROTFL:

Bravo everyone :thumbs:

Regards

Mike

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ashwin outstanding images!!! :thumbs: The B&W shots of the wedding are amazing. I love how the bride is separated but very connected in the shot, while there are large crowd around. The 50 Lux is an extraordinary lens.
I hope to receive my 50 Lux Asph, this after being sent away to Germany to be recalibrated.

Here are two photos taken this morning, Springbrook, in the hinterland of the Gold Coast. Taken with the ZM 25/2.8 and M9

Charles, stunning.

Hey Guy, who was it that said you can't get great landscape images with a rangefinder? Tell him to speak with Charles so he can set Charles strait. :ROTFL:

Peter Klein

And there's something about this one, also heavily modified, that I dig...very heavyhanded processing, but hey, what the heck...

I have to add my WOW! for this photo, Ashwin! Have you been reading "Wuthering Heights" lately? The shot made me think of Cathy and Heathcliff strolling the wild moors at dusk...

--Peter

ashwinrao1

Thanks Peter, Joe, Jerry, Steve, Mike, Matt, Stef, Osman. You guys rock. I completely agree with Mike that this thread is mesmerizing and inspiring. I got a good giggle out of the critique thread idea and Mike's rebutal, but really, that may be a good idea.

Keep up the great work everyone!!!

Peter, I am loving your instant replay capture. Oh how photography has changed.

Steve, you show us your usual magic with the classic Noct! Lovin' it!

Charles, I took another look at your riverbed shot, and am liking it even more and more...the time lapse really works here!

Okay, gotta find something else worthy of a post here...hmmmm...

CharlesK

Steve and Lloyd, Thank you :)
Joe, Thank you !
Jerry, Thank you ! You are too kind :)
Matt and Chuck Thank You. Do appreciate the kudos :D
Steve, neat shot with 50/0.95.
Peter, nice shots!
Ashwin, Thank you again! Amazing shot!!! Love the rendering and feel to this shot!

m_driscoll

Instant replay (grab shot while walking around Seattle's Green Lake):

Instant replay by peter.a.klein (Boulanger-Croissant), on Flickr
Sleepytime:
M8, 35/1.4 ASPH (penultimate version)
--Peter
Peter: Nice catch. Terrific composition. :thumbup:

Done Bangin..

M9, 50Noct:)
Steve: Do you and Ashwin consult on what to post? :LOL: This is really, really, cool. :toocool:

How about this? One more from NYC with the Noct f/0.95:
Ashwin: Great capture and stunning pp. :thumbup:

Steve/Ashwin: These two photos are interesting to compare. Same camera and lens. Both excellent images, but achieving that in totally different ways. Neither one's a neutral presentation. You've both pushed away from the middle. Could generate a discussion on the affect of the content on the pp direction, the photographer's intent, and the way the photo was taken (quick/studied/etc.). Side-by-side on the screen with a laser pointer. :lecture:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Dinner at the local Oyster Bar. M9 and 35 lux...
Background: David is a very close and dear friend of mine, who I rarely get to see face to face. So we talk by phone, and email back and forth constantly. David asked me by email a couple days ago to critique some images for him, and I replied that I would be happy to do that, but only if he would post them up on this forum so that my words could be read by all of you as well. The images are here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251641&postcount=2981

Not sure how you show other people's thumbnails in even a quoted post, so maybe a moderator can figure out how to put them inline here? I don't know this forum software well enough yet to do that if it is even possible to do.

I generally don't do this kind of thing, commenting on every image, but in this case I am going to make an exception because I think it may be of value to the whole forum to hear. I see a lot of images here that I would comment on similarly. So to save Jack bandwidth, I'm going to critique one of my best friends work. David knows how I do this too, I am frank and honest always with critique. I never criticize, only critique. Critique is very personal, an honest comment from one individual's perspective, intended for the sole purpose of assisting in advancing an artist-in-training's skills at their craft.

Having such a close, personal relationship with David is a huge help in assessing his images, and making recommendations he can consider. David did a long stint shooting in solitude as an after work escape from a very stressful job. He shot very calm landscapes. He needed that rest from the complex world of his day job. He shot some model work as well as his real "personal" work. His first interest in Photography was as a hobby.

Now the artist has taken over. David shows this in all of these shots. He's playing with the M9 & 35 'Lux, exploring what and how it can work for him as a creative tool. David, great work in discovering the limits of that lens. These test shots confirm it's a great piece of glass, but it ain't for you. You need a wider lens for what your shooting. Up close and personal, only a wide angle is going to cut it, and even 35mm is often not wide enough unless you are way back in the group. Or you get right up in their face, as I often do.

Every one of these images has a potential story to tell. Photography to me is all about the stories the photographer witnessed, captured, and retells in his or her photographs. Your story is great. Your images don't fully tell that story because your lens choice is too narrow to capture enough of the ambiance background to support it.

Take the first image of the glasses. This is a tabletop shot, a still life. Great story too, the menu and the glasses with a nice refreshing drink. But the dang glass is out of focus, and a complete distraction ruining the whole effect. Next time, reach over and slide the glass forward to where it also falls into that band of narrow focus, it integrates into the image that way, and becomes a real nice vertical for your eye to focus on, and draws you right to the glasses.... the point of your whole story about weak eyesight. It gets even stronger if you move the glass, and use a wider lens to capture the salt, pepper and especially the sugar to balance off that glass, and the full menu corner on the other side. Better composition, and probably a great stock image.

Next image to the right of the bartender and barrel. Technically this is probably the best of the group. But what exactly is the story? Bartenders use terminals in bars that serve De Loach wine? That is what you shot, but not what you saw when you were shooting it. Your artist eye saw the COLORS, and the color composition. Reset the lens to f/8 and shoot it all in focus, and you got a great shot.

Next that luscious plate of carpaccio, it's a food shot, crop out everything not necessary to support that story, and fix the white balance and brightness. Make that look good enough to eat, and the photograph of food works.

The next one, bottom left David, either listen to me about trying a wider lens, or for God's sake use a giant step backwards. You sometimes need to find your vantage point when you find the great image. This one was excellent! Until you shot it so close that you missed the composition that you SAW when you shot this. That gal as main subject, excellent. The two chefs behind her, wonderful once you get to see them in context talking to the bartender who's head you cut off also because you were too close or used the wrong lens. Making this image basically only a story about some dead meat on a plate, instead of one with mystery and romance. Forget even taking these dead meat snapshots, and get to crafting that great story your eye saw.

As for the last one, next time shoot it from above. The shapes of those glasses are far more interesting in their geometric pattern sitting in the ice, with a nice close crop, than oyster shooters sitting on a bar. Yawn. Doesn't support your strong lead image above about mystery and romance. I see where you were going with the oyster thing, so if you want to grab that shoot it as close as you can, then crop to a long horizontal pano format for the effect.

End :lecture:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm testing lenses like David is, but I am also getting comfortable with the differences between the M8 & M9. My "new" look lens is the 21 'Lux. Trying to decide 21 or 24 as my main go to, either way it will be 'Lux. Noct is on order to also test out.

This is the 24mm Elmarit ASPH, a great lens.

And one from the 21 'Lux

Last edited:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Just trying a little different post processing spin on something I shot earlier in the year.

Kurt my friend, this is another of your fabulous stories. I very much like your work, and feel you are right on top of your game dialed in and firing on all cylinders. :thumbs: