The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

ashwinrao1

Kurt, great great image. It was this type of shot that convinced me that the Noct f/0.95 was for me. 6 months l gotta say that your shots swayed me in the right decision. Like you, I have found the f/0.95 to be quite a creative inspiration for me, and this image is spectacular in every way, with that elusive 3D feel, not to mention the poignant subject matter. Great stuff.

Chuck, amazing capture/environmental portrait with the 24 lux. You are really showing what that lens is capable of, even at close focus distance. OUTSTANDING!

ashwinrao1

Matt,
thank you for your words...Steve and I should plan something like that, but alas, just on the same wavelength. The great strength of digital photography is the variety of processing options available to reinvent a photograph...would be a fascinating discussion!

otumay

I'm testing lenses like David is, but I am also getting comfortable with the differences between the M8 & M9. My "new" look lens is the 21 'Lux. Trying to decide 21 or 24 as my main go to, either way it will be 'Lux. Noct is on order to also test out.

This is the 24mm Elmarit ASPH, a great lens.

And one from the 21 'Lux

Chuck, stunning shots! And I agree that the 24 Elmarit ASPH is a wonder.

m_driscoll

I'm testing lenses like David is, but I am also getting comfortable with the differences between the M8 & M9. My "new" look lens is the 21 'Lux. Trying to decide 21 or 24 as my main go to, either way it will be 'Lux. Noct is on order to also test out.

And one from the 21 'Lux
Chuck: Great analysis of David's photos. Keep it coming. Both of the photos that you posted are stunning! Interesting looks and eye direction in that first one. My niggle with the 21 is that I have to use a viewfinder. With the 24, i can do without.

Just trying a little different post processing spin on something I shot earlier in the year.
Kurt: Great capture and B&W! There's an eerie transcendent quality to this image. The IF area seems to resolve out of the OOF in the foreground and background. Of course it does, but this seems magical. :cool:

Matt,
thank you for your words...Steve and I should plan something like that, but alas, just on the same wavelength. The great strength of digital photography is the variety of processing options available to reinvent a photograph...would be a fascinating discussion!
Ashwin: The photos posted here illustrate that range of interpretation. Always fun to see! The "discussion" would be fascinating. A corollary topic would be if we now have too much freedom to manipulate the photos (Luddite).

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

eleanorbrown

Chasles you are so fortunate to be near the Gold coast! I particularly like this one......really wonderful....the Leica makes a super landscape camera...I'm now back and settled in Houston and will have to think about what I'm going to shoot down here......I'll be shooting landscapes from the high artic Svalbard but that's not until next June so for now, it's the Gulf Coast! eleanor

Ashwin outstanding images!!! :thumbs: The B&W shots of the wedding are amazing. I love how the bride is separated but very connected in the shot, while there are large crowd around. The 50 Lux is an extraordinary lens.
I hope to receive my 50 Lux Asph, this after being sent away to Germany to be recalibrated.

Here are two photos taken this morning, Springbrook, in the hinterland of the Gold Coast. Taken with the ZM 25/2.8 and M9

David K

Workshop Member

And one from the 21 'Lux

Chuck,

First off, I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to critique my shots and to assure you that it is taken in the spirit with which it was given, i.e. an honest and straightforward attempt to be helpful. As you know I am back to the M system after an unsuccessful first try with the M8 and while I think I'm doing better I know there's room for improvement. Getting good solid advice from an experienced shooter is hard to come by. People are, understandably, reluctant to critique other folks work for fear of offending them.

For those that don't know Chuck as well as I do I'd encourage you to check out some of his images. Chuck is, IMHO, one of the best M shooters out there... and not too bad with 35mm and MF either :) What I like about Chuck's work is that he captures emotion and character. The shot of the tow truck guys is a good example. The attitude of the driver and the look of the passenger tell a story. I think I know a little something about who Ted and Al are from this image... and I'm not sure I'd want them helping my daughter if her car broke down on a deserted country road at night :)

The portrait of the guy in the civil war jacket and his girlfriend is terrific. You have an uncanny ability to put your subjects at ease and get them to project themselves.

To put it in perspective for those who don't know Chuck, he and I went to Atlanta some years ago to get our MF kits and wound up at a diner with some friends in the wee hours of the morning. While the rest of us stayed at the table eating Chuck wandered the diner sitting at other people's booths, chatting them up and getting them to agree to let him take their picture. I watched him overcome their reluctance and allow him to take their photos. And at 3am, or whatever time it was, I can assure you they weren't all in a touchy/feeley mood. Before we left there wasn't a single person in that place that Chuckk didn't shoot... including the cook and the waitress if I remember correctly. Those shots alone could have made a coffee table book and if you can find them Chuck, I'd encourage you to post them for others to see.

The reason I mention this is because I think it's critical to understanding Chuck's work. He's an up close and personal guy... much more so than I am. And because of this Chuck gravitates towards wide and super wide lenses. While that 21 lux looks to be a fantastic lens I'm not sure I'm the right guy to shoot with it. The 35mm and 50mm focal lengths are more comfortable for me. They allow me to keep my distance and not feel like I'm invading someone's private space. My good friend Roger Dunham, who is also a superb Leica M shooter, also gets in much tighter than I do. I think the ability and confidence to do that takes time... and I'm not quite there yet. As Robert Capa once said... "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."

The only nit I've got with the shot from the 24mm is that I don't find the background rendering pleasant. I know you were shooting these two to get a feel for your preferred focal length but I think you'd do well consider getting the new 24 lux. If you're going to help me spend my money on wider lenses then at least I can try to return the favor :)

I hope some of the folks on this forum find this kind of dialogue informative and that Chuck and I have posted in the right place. For those that think it should have been in the image critique forum... my apologies.

panda81

Chasles you are so fortunate to be near the Gold coast! I particularly like this one......really wonderful....the Leica makes a super landscape camera...I'm now back and settled in Houston and will have to think about what I'm going to shoot down here......I'll be shooting landscapes from the high artic Svalbard but that's not until next June so for now, it's the Gulf Coast! eleanor
perfect timing to come back for the great weather we're having these few weeks! unfortunately i have a hard time finding places to shoot in houston ...maybe the oil-soaked beaches of galveston? :ROTFL:

CharlesK

Eleanor, thank you for your kind words!
I lived in Houston for 2 years, as a consultant, then for Conoco. But you must visit the Eastern coast of Oz, and it is very beautiful, this time of the year. As you are well aware, landscape shots in Australia, can be very stark with the extreme lighting, and scrub bushlands.

eleanorbrown

Charles on the same trip (years ago) that we visited Australia's Gold Coast, we also drove/flew (small plane) and went by boat (milford sound) the South Island of New Zealand. Have you spent any time in NZ? eleanor

Eleanor, thank you for your kind words!
I lived in Houston for 2 years, as a consultant, then for Conoco. But you must visit the Eastern coast of Oz, and it is very beautiful, this time of the year. As you are well aware, landscape shots in Australia, can be very stark with the extreme lighting, and scrub bushlands.

ashwinrao1

Matt, wonderful pic...Pike's place? By the way, your book is outstanding!

Brad, congrats on the new gem. I don't think I'll have one of those for a while, but here's to hoping ; )....keep posting, can't wait to see how it performs in the drizzle of the Pac NW

Ed. Thanks! Hope to see you at Glazers someday soon! As for the couple, they are very natural, making photos a piece of cake!

ashwinrao1

Thanks so much, Guy. As the creator of this wonderful space that we all inhabit and an amazing photographer to boot , it's a big honor to receive such a kind comment from you. It really means a lot. I am trying to find some funds to get one of your prints, but lenses keep clouding my vision ;)

Best,
Ashwin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My vision too. I bought 3 lenses in the last three days. This has got to stop. LOL

I wish I could get on this side of the forum more often to browse what you folks are doing but when I do I see some really nice stuff, a lot of my day is just helping people and i do enjoy that. But no secret about it I want a M9 myself. I spent almost 2 years with the M8 and all it's issues. My problem as a single system it could not get it all done but with dual systems now there is a chance I can get back in. Now it is a matter of funding. M9 3 lenses to start for me it would be 24,35 and 75 for full frame just about perfect than add a 50 prelux. Afraid to add that up

Anyway I actually do watch how people grow here and folks are getting better all the time. Patience, desire and a willingness to learn and experiment. Sometimes in all honesty I look around and see how wonderful the folks are doing here and it certainly gives me a smile. This forum is all about images and as shooters we got to love that. Just remember my door is always open to anyone that needs help.