The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

ashwinrao1

Ah yes, the challenges of funding more than one system. Guy, I know you would love the M9, and heck I'd love to see some of your magic on this thread ;). It is the M8, sans warts...and the glass, the glorious glass. But I can imagine that one must focus somewhat on a "reasonable" system :)ROTFL:), and Leica entry is so dang expensive, despite the glory of its glass. The 24/35/75 with a 50 preLux to follow sounds perfect. But even that would top 10K just to get into...yikes....

In some ways, I wonder now and again whether the M9 and 50 is enough, but then I think of the creative possiblities of wide vs long, asph design vs Mandler vs pre-Mandler rendering, and the list goes on.

Thanks again! One day soon, I'll be joining you guys for one of your work shops...Salton Sea again any time soon?

Best,
Ashwin

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
:thumbup:Ok... buried with work just now, and hopelessly behind on commenting on the consistently amazing work posted here. Let me just say this at least:

Charles: Great Gold Coast street shots, and the "after the rain" shots... wow! Loved the casual portrait too. I think I prefer the b/w, but both are nice.
Woody: The shots with the 16 are amazing. I didn't even know that lens existed.
Leif: Priceless shot of your daughter and her cousin's baby.
Don: Wonderful stuff in Ouray (including Sandy's), and the river and color shots too. Loved the old cars as well.
summarita: Wow. Great portraits!
Joe: Very nice... Dammit man, you went and made me homesick again!
Steven: I said it already, but I'll say it again, those shots at Silver Lake are great! (Glad you escaped that moose!) The other autumn shots are really nice as well.
Steve: Excellent set. I especially like the self-portrait.
Mike: I swear everything you post here is classic Leica magic... the bridesmaids and the onlookers in particular. Love the shadows and diagonals shot a lot as well.
Kurt: Gorgeous images. Loved the falls especially.
boymerang: Great Nocti shots, that last of the child over the shoulder is priceless.
Ashwin: Wow. Where to even begin. Those NYC shots are unbelievable! Some of the Nocti stuff looks like tilt/shift. And your eye never fails. Really wonderful wedding shots as well.
Jan: Great catch with Lunch Break. Nice b/w as well. The color shot is great too.
Eleanor: I'm going to miss your Colorado shots, but those passing lights shots are a lot of fun too. Hope you made it safely to Houston.
David: The Oyster bar shots are wonderful. Love the warm light. Great composition.

So... I hope I haven't missed anyone. If so, it certainly isn't intentional, and I'm sure I loved your work!:thumbup:

Thanks everyone, for the consistent inspiration. :salute:
Wow - that's an impressive job of catching up -this is what happens if you miss a couple of days here!

ashwinrao1

Amazing pair of images, Ed. Great stuff. Love the colors, and how these images, particularly the first, just pop off the screen!

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Here's one with my new (really old) Canon 85 1.5. Lovely lens!
That lens is a real beauty, and so is this image. I love your choice for the background and your color sense is right on in this image. Having your main subject looking away from the camera lends an air of mystery too. Makes the viewer want to know "Now what is it that she is looking at?"

Last edited:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck: Great analysis of David's photos. Keep it coming. Both of the photos that you posted are stunning! Interesting looks and eye direction in that first one. My niggle with the 21 is that I have to use a viewfinder. With the 24, i can do without.

Matt, yes using an external viewfinder does take some time getting used to, but then so does everything else of any real value in photography. Look at the hours you've obviously put in yourself. Have you really ever tried a 21 without the viewfinder? Try it. You may be surprised. No, you can't see the extreme edges, and yes that probably does mean you will be cropping to about a 24mm field of view in post. So what? I never read the rule book where it said you can't crop into a frame. Art directors and agencies do it all the time.

The only exception is if you are shooting journalistic news. There, your frame is your frame and you're stuck with it, so the viewfinder is essential. For everything else, heck just wing it and crop. It's your subject you are shooting, the extreme edges are usually just for background anyway.

CharlesK

Excellent shots Ed!
Eleanor, yes I have spent some time NZ, and it is truly a very picturesque country. :)
Chuck love your comments and energy! :)
Guy, excellent to hear your comments and your contribution to helping everyone!!! Now you just need to add the M9 to your collection :D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Guy said that I had to post something from my new M9 (I just got it on Monday from Monza/Precsicion Camera). I also just upgraded my C1 to the Pro version (thanks to Doug/Capture Integration), so I'm taking baby steps. These two are with my $85 Jupiter 8 (Russian 50 f/2).:ROTFL:
Remnant of mid-1800's sawmill on the Mullet River

Just enjoying fall in Wisconsin

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looking good Cindy maybe a touch warm. I noticed in my review of this but again this was before some software updates in C1 and LR that the M9 renders a little warm. Now I have not gone back with new updates to check either. In these Cindy keep a eye on your sky which is the sign you are running not as blue but to the warm side. But landscapes can be anything you want so no need to worry until you get to skin tones than you may want to adjust.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Kuau and Guy. Guy I just went back in and tweaked the channel to bring down the yellow. I was just converting some NEX photos from the same scene, and they were not as warm at 5700 as the M9.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes the M9 looks to still have that tendency. I got your note BTW so let me bring this up in public for all. In C1 the profile is very nice for the M9 but if anything and you can play with this folks to see if it helps. I know everyone likes saturation but I found compared to the Phase P30 + when I tested which really is the gold standard in regards to WB a scene properly the M9 was a little warm and it was a little saturated. What I did was cool it down a little like 200 or 300 kelvin and backed off on Saturation a few points. Now if you want to go test this out say in bright sun just grab a good color checker card with you and from camera just hold out in front of you take a shot. Than watch the WB in C1 or LR for that matter and use your white balance tool and hit the second grey in from white. Watch the WB change on you as you do that and you should see it get a touch cooler.

Now this is pretty much a Kodak sensor tendency so nothing wrong with your M9 and it's profile and it actually sometimes is preferred to be on the warm side. If you liked Kodachrome there you go. Just some things to get under your belt and understand how these sensors read. If interested go back to my M9 review and i talk a lot about this.
Hope this helps a little.

One thing Cindy mentioned was with fall color she tends to like it a little warm and I completely agree. WB means nothing as long as you are on a calibrated system and you like what you see than the artist takes over on that decision and as it should. Again there are no rules in photography for visual impact, do what you like. I bring these things up more for help in understanding how the process works so folks have this data in there head to work with. The better data you know the less confusion in the field which is not the place to cloud your brain with the junk but concentrate on the shot.

I see this a lot on workshops when folks get wound up on the tech but lose sight of what they are doing with the shot. Totally understandable as we are all learning. But as we get more experience in the process than we have more brain power for the art. That is what you want to get too.

m_driscoll

Matt, wonderful pic...Pike's place? By the way, your book is outstanding!...
Ashwin: Thanks; yes it was; and thanks, again! :D

Robert, magnificent. 85f/1.5 canon? Well, it is magic in your hands....amazing background blur, and beautifully captured model!
Robert: +1, what he said! :thumbup:

Chuck: Great analysis of David's photos. Keep it coming. Both of the photos that you posted are stunning! Interesting looks and eye direction in that first one. My niggle with the 21 is that I have to use a viewfinder. With the 24, i can do without.
Matt, yes using an external viewfinder does take some time getting used to, but then so does everything else of any real value in photography. Look at the hours you've obviously put in yourself. Have you really ever tried a 21 without the viewfinder? Try it. You may be surprised. No, you can't see the extreme edges, and yes that probably does mean you will be cropping to about a 24mm field of view in post. So what? I never read the rule book where it said you can't crop into a frame. Art directors and agencies do it all the time.

The only exception is if you are shooting journalistic news. There, your frame is your frame and you're stuck with it, so the viewfinder is essential. For everything else, heck just wing it and crop. It's your subject you are shooting, the extreme edges are usually just for background anyway.
Chuck: Good comments. Thanks. I've got the Leica 21/24/28 viewfinder and a Zeiss 21mm. I should practice with it. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck: Good comments. Thanks. I've got the Leica 21/24/28 viewfinder and a Zeiss 21mm. I should practice with it. Cheers, Matt.
Matt. I hear you. I own the 21/24/28 viewfinder, and also actually prefer the smaller dedicated 21, which I also own. But it doesn't really matter, sometimes I use, most often I don't. Just one more thing to futz with....