The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

CharlesK

Thank you Don!
I don't where to start as there are so many amazing images!!! If I have left out any one it is an oversight! :)
Ashwin, what an extraordinary set of images! Love them. :)
Peter, the Angola images are awesome IMO.
Matt, excellent images!
David, love the wide angle shots!!!
I am travelling to Thailand this week for business and R&R. So I hope to post shots, while on the road.

shtarka1

Dan, Wonderful Color & Composition!
Hi everybody, here are a few ones with the M9 :

first, please meet Elliot through the Cron 50mm :

And now, romance in the tropical garden, through the marvellous Canon 0.95 at 0.95 and iso2000 ( note the delicate rainbow circle wic appears sometimes with backlight subjects, ..I definitively love this lens) :

The last one is a 24s pose to capture the seaside of Saint-Pierre in Reunion Island, with the 28 mm CRON :

No need to say I have been delighted with all your precedent posts ( I call it The GetDpi Collection !! )

Stephane
Steph...Love These 2!

shtarka1

Peter, your Angola pictures literally made my jaw drop. So have many other images in this thread. Phenomenal. This thread is my daily bookmark that I load first in the morning (rather: whenever it is I wake up, usually not the morning hours) and the last thread I visit before going to sleep. Intensely good work.

If I had to give this a name, I'd call it "home sick".

Vlad, Masterful Contrast,Framing & Emotion!

3,5,6,7,8 & 9 are real nice. Number one is questionable, and numbers two and four are not your best work. Delete them all three. Keep working doing what you were doing with the rest. People are your thing, close in tight portraits. Work that direction, and you should find your rewards.

Posting this many photos as a group makes it almost impossible to comment on each of them, forcing something like I just wrote above. I can't see your image remember when writing this post. I must work from memory. Due to my advanced age, my memory isn't what it once was. Hold your posting to one or two, and I can give you lots of constructive feedback if you want it. More than that, it is just an exhibition gallery. Post one or two images, and folks can drink it in fully. More is overwhelming, but that's just my opinion, others have theirs.

Chuck,

Great reply! Thanks a lot. I will restrict myself in posting only one or two max. on a particular day. I also need to get a means to post them as full images. I, myself, needed to open another browser window to be able to see which images you are referring to. Anyway, I'll try to do better next time...

Cheers,
Peter

shtarka1

Quote:

Posting this many photos as a group makes it almost impossible to comment on each of them, forcing something like I just wrote above. I can't see your image remember when writing this post. I must work from memory. Due to my advanced age, my memory isn't what it once was. Hold your posting to one or two, and I can give you lots of constructive feedback if you want it. More than that, it is just an exhibition gallery. Post one or two images, and folks can drink it in fully. More is overwhelming, but that's just my opinion, others have theirs.

Chuck,

Greta reply! Thanks a lot. I will restrict myself in posting only one or two max. on a particular day. Anyway, I'll try to do better next time...

Cheers,
Peter
(Chuck makes a good point....although i flunk on a regular basis...:cry::eek:)

The one on the left of the three boys first. Stunning. As good as it gets for even some of the best. I mite work it up a bit differently in post, though what you have certainly works.

The one on the right on the other hand doesn't work and nothing will fix it. You basically had an f8 exposure, and too slow a shutter speed. I love the effect you were trying for myself, but you got to nail it or it is just not there. Sharp focus in the front and sharp focus in the rear and all that confusion in the middle isn't great photography, it is just an effect in areas that caught your eye. There isn't even a reasonable crop that can fix all this confusion. You want only a SINGLE point of focus, and the rest confusion so it draws your eye naturally to the focal point. Start shooting wide open and just learn to live with tossing out a lot of tries that get close, but just don't make it. The few that do make all that work not wasted, but an exercise in patience. Something we can all use more of.

I'm also going to share a couple of things my own mentors have passed down to me. First thing everybody needs to learn to become a great photographer is to become a great editor first. Editors serve a very valuable purpose, they edit the thousands of images a photographer submits and distill the selection down to a few great frames. Be this editor. Be absolutely brutal in your cutting. Accept absolutely nothing but your very best, and even rotate those out of your portfolio when you produce better to replace them with. And you will most certainly create better work if your standards are at the very top end.

Editing is not about choosing the winners, it is about loosing the posers all vying for your attention, and then seeing what's left on the table, if anything.

Two rules I use:

1) "If any doubt, toss it out."

2.) Photos either work, or they don't. If they work, nobody cares about my justification for showing it, it works and we all appreciate the beauty of it for what it is, a finely crafted image.

If it doesn't work, nobody cares about my justification for showing it either, it simply doesn't work. Great photography has always been done in the world of blacks and whites. It works, it doesn't work. It never "almost" works but I'll post it anyway cause nobody else will notice if I slip it in between a couple great shots that I know do work.

Hope this helps, and do keep on shooting those portraits. You have some real talent there that can be developed even more with practice.

Chuck,

Wow. I highly appreciate your professional advice! I only started now [yesterday] to post some of my images to the public. Photography always was a hobby for me, starting with an F3 and slides, then moving over to my good old B&W darkroom, progressing to Pentax 67 and all B&W, i.e. restricting myself to 10 pics per roll, which is a real "school" to go through, aimed to "slow down". From these 10 pics a roll only a few made it to the printing stage in the darkroom at the time. Then I had some years not shooting at all mainly due to my daytime job... But since 2008 I'm back again, got myself a D700 and now a Leica M9... which, in a way, takes me "back" to the times of medium format and people shooting. I'm happy to be back. Digital is now the "crux" though... there is no "self-restriction" in terms of frames anymore... so the selection process is delayed to the processing stage, where a lot of things seem to be possible ["fixing"], but in reality are not! In fact, you need to be much more rigorous in throwing out the stuff which "doesn't work". There is rarely a "keeper" which wasn't one right out of the camera...

Stunning website with stunning images you have!

Thx, Peter

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Last cruise of the summer - in Connecticut on Lake Lillinonah. One of these or one from the following post will be Monday's post to my daily blog. Some hand work in LR and PS to eliminate color artifacts.

Leica M9 + CV 12mm.

sjg284

Been away for the long weekend, see I had lots of catching up to do here!
Great work all!

danlindberg - love the grafitti

DavidE - great set, great perspective.. especially the bridge

shtarka1 - lovely color, particularly the rich, varied greens in the broken fence photo in the later set. and in the earlier set, love the B&W from above with the car going down the road. really interesting perspective.