The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Latest & Greatest Fun w/Digital M Images

Mike Woods

Aha!! Well, the first image you've shared is impressive (but then, so has been pretty much everything you've posted). And, I'm not surprised by your statement about build quality. Not much that compares. In all honesty, while in general I think the Leica brand lenses are of a superior build, it's incremental, and I've found that pretty much all the rangefinder lenses I've owned were superior in build to most of the SLR or DSLR lenses. The Zeiss SLR lenses being the possible exceptions. (I've never owned a Leica R lens, so I don't have a basis from which to compare those.)

As for the "separation" or the 3D look you get, that seems to vary a lot among lenses, and the widest apertures doesn't always make the most difference. (Especially in super-telephotos). For example, I did (and have seen the same others have done), a comparison of three popular Leica 35mm lenses: The 35 Cron version IV (the "bokeh king"), the 35 Cron ASPH, and the 35 Summilux ASPH (the first ASPH version, not the new one). All are great lenses, and have their qualities for sure, but in terms of the "separation" or 3D look when shot wide open, I found that to me the 35 Cron ASPH stood out (no pun intended). And that was even over the 35 lux when it was shot at 1.4, with the Cron ASPH shot at f2.0. As always, your mileage may vary.

I've noticed with some of the CV lenses (and keep in mind that I'm a fan), the "separation" is less abrupt (if that description makes sense), looking a little smoother in terms of transition. The possible exception may be the Nokton 1.1. I know that to me the look of the 50 Lux @ 1.4 is much more "3D" than the Nokton 1.5 wide open. But there are things about the look of the CV wide open that I prefer in certain circumstances.

Anyway, I ramble... sorry. Congrats on the new lenses (assuming they'll be yours... you know they will. :thumbup:). Looking forward to more results.
Thanks Lloyd. Not rambling at all, you make a lot of sense. I agree, the roll-off with the Nokton 1.5 was quite gentle, and too soon to say categorically how that compares with the 'cron. I remember an image posted by Ashwin of a friend in the woods which was the epitome of subject isolation....but that was the Noctilux :eek:

This is another from yesterday, again with the 50 cron wide open. Very little processing, because I wanted to avoid too much contrast/clarity adjustment which might have effected the integrity of the background. Would like to see this printed; at monitor size I'm seeing reasonable separation here, probably lost at the size I'm posting here...

Anyway I'm rambling now :)

Best wishes

Mike

P

Photon

...at monitor size I'm seeing reasonable separation here, probably lost at the size I'm posting here...

Mike
On my Eizo I clearly see this 'reasonable separation' too, Mike.:toocool:

Warmest,

Ton

wwwtonvanmourik.com