The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some images with the new Leica 35mm Summilux

jonoslack

Great shots Jono! You really do a nice job with this.

I will note that I do not think that there is any difference in bokeh whatsoever compared to the 35/1.4 ASPH version I. It has been my most used lens for five or six years now, and I have seen the bokeh look extremely similar to your photos in lots of different pictures. Bokeh is a interplay of optics, focused distance and background, so it is always possible to make a lens that generally looks good look bad, and the opposite. From looking at Jono's generous sample, I would say it looks identical to the lens I own. This is of course perfectly in line with logic, since they are the same optical formula.

I will also say that I use the 35/1.4 ASPH on the M9 all the time, and I have not had many real world problems with focus shift. It DOES exist -- I can provoke it myself with my lens in tests, but it does not usually show up in my photos. But I think it is great that Leica has addressed the problem in the version II, while having the sense to not mess too much with a good thing. It makes perfect sense to me that you have embraced the lens -- it is one of those few lenses where I just have not had any real complaints -- it is very sharp, nice bokeh, extremely useful focal length and speed, nice ergonomics, fairly compact and light. It just ticks all the boxes.
Hi Stuart - thanks for this - you're in a better position to judge than I am, not having the previous version myself. The LFI article suggests better flare resistance (baffling and anti-internal-reflection), better contrast at close range and slightly sharper edges and corners - not something I've been able to test for. The MTF charts show this - but they are remarkably similar.
I'm inclined to agree with you though - to all intents and purposes the lenses are very similar.

all the best

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to post these shots and the wide variety of shooting situations you tried to cover....to demonstrate examples of bokeh, sharpness and close focusing performance. I'm already using the current 35mm Lux Asph optimized for f2 (set up by Leica to have a slight amount of front focusing at f1.4 if pixel peeping), so it's a difficult choice as to whether to upgrade or not. Clearly Leica took great pains to keep its successful optical formula the same while addressing the most often heard concerns about the current lens, most notably focus shift and slightly better close focusing performance. I think this conservative approach as opposed to redesigning a whole different lens, was a good one, in my opinion. I too feel that even the great lenses that invoke extremely desirable bokeh, can be provoked into displaying jittery OOF areas, if the background subject and lighting conditions are "just so"..such as contrasty lighting and busy foliage background just beyond the depth of field (with the possible exception of the Noct 0.95, although I'm sure someone could come up with an example).

As Stuart aptly said, Leica seemed to tick all the right boxes with this one. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)
I guess that if I had the older lens, and I wasn't being bugged by focus shift, then I wouldn't think of upgrading . . . not having the lens, then it's a bit of a no-brainer!

jonoslack

Thank you for the samples Jono. I look at this collection of images and they certainly look exactly like the type of imaging I get from my current Lux ASPH.

Seeing as the design is almost identical except for the floating elements, it is not surprising that the optical signature appears to be the same.

Thankfully I see no need to upgrade my current Lux.......and it's chrome to boot :rolleyes:
Hi There - chrome indeed - I love the look of chrome lenses, but somehow the weight always bugs me a bit.
Certainly, unless you have a very good buyer for the old lens upgrading seems like an extravagant option!
all the best

Seascape

Hi There - chrome indeed - I love the look of chrome lenses, but somehow the weight always bugs me a bit.......
Interestingly the new version weighs approximately the same as the older chrome version. I don't have the exact weights available, but I noted that they are in the same ballpark. I must say I much prefer the new lens hood though.

The 35 Summilux ASPH is certainly a fabulous design (either version), all the performance you could want with that classic Leica smoooth look.