The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

18mm Zeiss

Braeside

Just received a fantastic Zeiss 18mm lens from CharlesPhoto. So far the results are extremely good on the M8.

Thanks Charles, I am really chuffed with this lens.

[Now I need to find a 24/25mm finder]

Braeside

I guess I am the only one who is excited by this. Sorry it isn't a new 35mm for you all to drool over. Not that I am bitter or anything. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi David

Well, that geyzer on the right clearly isn't impressed :ROTFL:
He looks like some sort of russian oligarch!
it's a good shot though - and I'm very happy for you . . . as far as bitter - maybe you'd like to try the grilling I'm getting over at the LUF forum :eek:

all the very best

DaveS

Hi David, Nice shot,

re: [Now I need to find a 24/25mm finder]

I just happen to have a VC 25mm viewfinder if interested, please PM.

thanks
Dave S

Braeside

Hey Jono & Dave S, thanks, nice to get some feedback, I was beginning to think I had become invisible or perhaps used the wrong soap.:eek:

@Jono, I have not been following LUF much, but will have a look and see what is going on now. :D

@Dave S, Thanks for the heads up on your 25mm VF, I will try and get one in the UK if I can, as the import duty and VAT on North American imports is a killer as I found out on this 18mm lens.:mad:

Had a day out in the East Neuk of Fife today in glorious weather and used the 18mm all the time, fabulous lens IMO. I may post some shots in the main photo thread later.

MCTuomey

david, are you using an IF filter on it? i'm thinking about the 18/4 or, if i'm feeling less well off, the VC 15mm II, and wonder about vignetting and cyan drift.

Braeside

david, are you using an IF filter on it? i'm thinking about the 18/4 or, if i'm feeling less well off, the VC 15mm II, and wonder about vignetting and cyan drift.
Yes, a B+W 486 and the lens is coded as an 18mm Tri-Elmar.

I'll post some more examples later today.

rayyan

Hi David

Well, that geyzer on the right clearly isn't impressed :ROTFL:
He looks like some sort of russian oligarch!
it's a good shot though - and I'm very happy for you . . . as far as bitter - maybe you'd like to try the grilling I'm getting over at the LUF forum :eek:

all the very best
Hey Jono, maybe you are not chasing the things that ' ice age ' neanderthals
see to chase over at the other place!!;)

Nowadays, books do cost a lot.:eek:

jonoslack

Hey Jono, maybe you are not chasing the things that ' ice age ' neanderthals
see to chase over at the other place!!;)

Nowadays, books do cost a lot.:eek:
Hi There
Not sure what I'm chasing really - just making sure I don't lose my cool! (successfully negotiated I think!).

There is cost a lot . . . .and worth it - not my place to decide on that one!

Braeside

Yes, well spotted Jono!

We had a grand day out in St Monans, then lunch in Pittenweem, ending up with a Fish Supper (between 2) in Anstruther [or Ainster as the locals call it].

irakly

Try something longer, and you will be even more impressed. Out of all lenses that I reviewed for Zeiss (which included the whole lineup except the 15mm), this was probably the least interesting. It does not come from me lightly, as I own one. All right, it is sharp from edge to edge, very insignificant light fall-off, good color. Everything is fine about it, but nothing magical. Try 2/35, or 1.5/50 and you'll see what I mean. Try 2/85, and you'll be blown away until you see what 90 APO Summicron can do wide open :)

Braeside

Try something longer, and you will be even more impressed. Out of all lenses that I reviewed for Zeiss (which included the whole lineup except the 15mm), this was probably the least interesting. It does not come from me lightly, as I own one. All right, it is sharp from edge to edge, very insignificant light fall-off, good color. Everything is fine about it, but nothing magical. Try 2/35, or 1.5/50 and you'll see what I mean. Try 2/85, and you'll be blown away until you see what 90 APO Summicron can do wide open :)
I'd love to have more Zeiss glass for the M8 Irakly. However I have spent my rather limited budget on a range of used Leica and CV glass from 28 to 75mm already and just needed something used at a reasonable price for the wider 18mm range, and was rather pleased with the performance of the Zeiss. It shouldn't have surprised me as I already have Zeiss primes and zooms on the Sony A900.:thumbs:

irakly

Please, do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that it is bad. To the contrary, it is excellent, just too... precise (is it the word?), no magic.