The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Long term investment in chrome

M

matts

I was offered a 50mm Summicron in chrome (current-gen with a pop-up hood).

I know that the chrome lenses are substantially heavier than the black ones and are often the first to get discontinued. I don't really mind the weight and it looks fine on my silver M8, but I was wondering — since this is likely going to be an interim lense until I get my hands on a 50mm Summilux ASPH someday, and thus, will be sold — in general, is there a demand difference in chrome vs black lenses?

Knorp

I know that the chrome lenses are substantially heavier than the black ones and are often the first to get discontinued. I don't really mind the weight and it looks fine on my silver M8, but I was wondering — since this is likely going to be an interim lense until I get my hands on a 50mm Summilux ASPH someday, and thus, will be sold — in general, is there a demand difference in chrome vs black lenses?
Hi Matts,

if given the choice: I'd always go for chrome and never mind the weight.
But then I'm a chrome addict ... :D

All the best.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

While most of my M lenses are the black anodized versions ...the chrome and the black paint are made from brass. They are heavier but I have found them to focus smoothly and generally have a better feel than the traditional black. The tend to sell for close to the same price used sometimes the chrome go for a little more.

My M8u is chrome and on that body I want a chrome lens. I just bought the currrent 50 summicron in chrome for this body.

I do prefer the black for street use .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't think that the value is any less with chrome but they can be harder to sell due to the fact that the majority of buyers want black. Black just simply has a larger market. Longer term I could see the value of chrome lenses increasing due to the fact that many are now discontinued.

When I had my chrome M8.2 my preference was for chrome/silver lenses. Now that I'm back on black bodies my preference when buying glass is for black although primarily driven by the fact that the lenses I use now, with one exception, are only available in black.

Btw, not all chrome/silver lenses are heavier or made of brass. My experience with chrome is that it seems to wear better too and don't show the loss of black on the edges of the focus and aperture rings through usage over time.

Last edited: