The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you have an M8 and a 5dmkII?

Marc Wilson

Hi guys,

I'm looking at some options for my project shooting at the moment with a slight change in direction, working methodology, and possible moving from film to digital.
Anyway, digitally I use a 5dmkII for all my commercial work am looking at using it with a couple of primes (21/28) for some project work.
I'd love to see a raw file from both a 5dmkII and an M8 with comparable focal length primes (or just comparable focal length of a L zoom), of say an urban scene, house with garden, etc, etc at say largest aperture and also F8/11, both at say low and 400 iso.
I am saying an M8 because it gives me a more lightweight smaller option than my Canon.
Manual versus auto focus, slr versus rf, etc, etc are not factors for me. Basic raw IQ and my processing of the Raw files and my printing are what i am interested in.
The M8 set up is what is in my budget, not the M9!

Does anyone out there have both a 5dmkII and an M8 that would be able to shoot a scene for me, locked down on a tripod, mirror up on the canon, low iso and 400 iso, etc, with both and send me the raw files?

It would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Marc

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Marc

If I could make a suggestion. Compare the M8 at ISO 160 . You might look at the DxO website and compare the two sensors at the different ISO s . This isn t a substitute for a good set of comparable files;but, you would see that the M8 is noticeably better at 160 (and 160 really is equal to the Canon 200 from a sensitivity measurement(canon s rating is too high).

Since you will be using a tripod and shooting at F8 you should find either alternative more than enough .

ashrafazlan

I have an M8 and a D700, at ISO 160 the M8 files trump the D700 in terms of sharpness and color, but equal in terms of highlight recovery potential (atleast from my experiences so far)

Anything above that though and the M8 can't even touch the D700, but thankfully the M8's lack of mirror slap helps with handholding at slower shutter speeds..thus avoiding the need to go higher in ISO.

One thing to keep in mind though is the 5dmk2's higher resolution..which might be something you'd prefer if you shoot stuff like landscapes or stills. That and the canon coupled with a small prime isn't much heavier than the M8 + lens, just larger.

cam

if my M8 returns from the dead in the next few days, my other has a 5Dmkii and we'd be able to do the comparisons for you. hopefully, somebody will be able to help you in the meanwhile though.

Marc Wilson

Hi Cam,
Thank you so much for that, and Ash and Roger for your input.
There is so much written comparisons etc but nothing does the job like a simple raw file to check myself!
Marc

Marc Wilson

I forgot to add that of course any raw files that I get will be deleted as soon as I have made my test prints, and those test prints destroyed once assessed.

Thanks,

Marc

Double Negative

Not Available
I don't have a 5D, but a 1D Mark IIn. Oddly, rather comparable to the M8. Both have a similar (1.3x for 1D2N, 1.33x for M8) crop factor and are close in MP (8.2 for 1D2N, 10.3 for M8).

Honestly? No comparison! The M8 files are miles sharper "out of the box" due to the lack of an AA filter, which on the Canon - blurs a lot of fine detail. In post, you MUST sharpen the Canon files, but I often find the M8 files require very little, if any. The M8 files also seem to have a bit more "depth" to them; wider dynamic range, deeper colors/saturation.

I grab the M8 these days FIRST if I can, THEN reach for the Canon if I can't for some reason (macro, tele, AF, zoom, whatever). It's been this way ever since I got the M8. Which is totally weird for me... One thing I'll certainly never miss again is lugging 25lbs. of Canon gear on vacation!

How it will compare to the 5D/5D2 I cannot say. I assume it'll be similar, just with a much larger 5D file with higher resolution. You'll still need to USM...

Marc Wilson

Its not to choose one system over the other.
The 5dII I already use for my commercial work.

It's to see wether the M8 iq is enough for some personal projects I have coming up or wether I need to use the 5dmkII with some prime lenses instead.

I've actually decided to get an M8 with a 21mm (28mm quiv) lens and then I'll be able to see for myself.
Of course the kit size/weight of the M8 is much better and that and its more discreet nature are are what is attracting me to it...but its also wether the balance of iq/ weight is enough for these needs.

We'll see!

Thanks,

Marc

Double Negative

Not Available
Ahh, gotcha. I'm definitely not suggesting you pick one over the other - I haven't either. I use and love both. Each have their pros/cons.

I entered the water slowly at first with the M8, wondering if it could replace my Canon gear on travels. I'm happy to report that it most definitely has. I couldn't be happier with the results and IQ. So much so that I really look forward to getting an M9 one day.