Site Sponsors

Thread: RRS M8/M9 Base and Grip

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS M8/M9 Base and Grip

My name is Steve and I'm an addict. Got an RRS Leica base and handgrip the other day, and it's very nice. More comfortable (for me) than the Leica grip, and beautifully made. A nice solution to two needs: a camera plate and a handgrip.

Check it out: http://reallyrightstuff.com/RRS/item...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RRS M8/M9 Base and Grip

Hmm still says end of June... I ordered 25 May, let's hope I get a shipping e-mail soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Daniel,

When I last looked, it said "YES" on the product page, which I took to mean "in stock."

Steve

P.S. It still does: http://reallyrightstuff.com/RRS/item...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Post Thanks / Like

I've received it today. order date 25/6/2010 from their website.
    It took 3 days from the States to Kuwait. and yes Im in love with it.
    It feels just right on my hands. light weight, fits the camera perfectly.
    I've attached a picture of my camera with the RRS BM9 set.
    M (Typ240), Lux 24mm ASPH, Lux 35mm FLE, Cron APO 75mm ASPH, 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R, 80-200mm Vario-Elmar-R. Sony a7S
    MohammadTaqi.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got mine today too. It's a VERY tight fit on my M9 - to the degree that the first time I fitted it I seriously thought I'd got a new permanently attached plate! It looks like my camera/plate needs to give up a few microns all round to make this a more comfortable fit. Not sure if it'll be the camera or plate that'll sacrifice the paint/anodizing - somehow I expect it would be the M9

Mohammed - was yours a really tight fit too? I had to dismantle the full L bracket down to the base to try mine without the fear of scratching something first time through.

Be aware also that you need to use the L bracket ring for your strap. Not a problem if this is your only plate but I use a STD plate & Luigi case for walkabout use vs tripod use so this needs to be considered. (for me it's not a big deal as I just got my Gordy strap anyway).
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 29th June 2010 at 00:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Got mine today too. It's a VERY tight fit on my M9 - to the degree that the first time I fitted it I seriously thought I'd got a new permanently attached plate! It looks like my camera/plate needs to give up a few microns all round to make this a more comfortable fit. Not sure if it'll be the camera or plate that'll sacrifice the paint/anodizing - somehow I expect it would be the M9

Mohammed - was yours a really tight fit too? I had to dismantle the full L bracket down to the base to try mine without the fear of scratching something first time through.

Be aware also that you need to use the L bracket ring for your strap. Not a problem if this is your only plate but I use a STD plate & Luigi case for walkabout use vs tripod use so this needs to be considered. (for me it's not a big deal as I just got my Gordy strap anyway).
    Graham: I had no problem with it. it fits the M9 perfectly.
    M (Typ240), Lux 24mm ASPH, Lux 35mm FLE, Cron APO 75mm ASPH, 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R, 80-200mm Vario-Elmar-R. Sony a7S
    MohammadTaqi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found that I liked the setup very much, with one exception. The grip felt slippery to my fingers when I used it.
    The solution for me was to cover it with the same leather covering material that I got from Morgan @ Camera Leathers.
    I received the material this morning, and about 1/2 hour later these are the results.
    An Exact-O knife and a little patience were the tools.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the RRS plate and side bracket. I plan on keeping the plate on full time and use the L bracket occasionally so depending on the amount of hassle involved I might just keep the side bracket in my case for use only when I really need it.

Ordered it late yesterday and received the order confirmation now just waiting for shipping info.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Taqi View Post
    Graham: I had no problem with it. it fits the M9 perfectly.
    So did your base slip on and off as easily as the standard Leica part?

I've been in discussion with Matthew Burk of RRS and I'm wondering if perhaps my batch of bases were machined with extra tight tolerances or not. I'm on a business trip at the moment and can't try the base with my other M8 for comparison but it was super tight on my M9.

I hope it is just a glitch because the assembly is extremely well put together and I really want to be able to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis44 View Post
    I found that I liked the setup very much, with one exception. The grip felt slippery to my fingers when I used it.
    The solution for me was to cover it with the same leather covering material that I got from Morgan @ Camera Leathers.
    I received the material this morning, and about 1/2 hour later these are the results.
    An Exact-O knife and a little patience were the tools.
    Lewis that looks great! I might see if I can get some camera leather that matches the stock 'vulcanite' on the M9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lewis that looks great! I might see if I can get some camera leather that matches the stock 'vulcanite' on the M9.
    Daniel
    I did send the images to Morgan @ CameraLeathers.com. to show him what I had done.
    I don't think there would be enough interest for him to do it, but he should be aware of what you want if you contact him.
    Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Randy, I've shot him an e-mail

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine, fits a treat, I find you have to perfectly line up the notch on the 'L' side and then push the other side and it pops on with relatively little force, great fit, and offers plenty of protection for the camera as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an e-mail from Mark Gvarzdinskas, RRS regarding my order. His first inquiry was which camera I had, the M8 or M9. After I told him the plate was for the M9 he responded saying it would be another 4 weeks till delivery as well as the following ...

We did send a few out for the M9s but there was a variation in the M9 we were not aware of, thus making it too tight a fit. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Thought I pass this on..

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS sent out an email survey regarding the base & fit with M8 & M9 independently to gather feedback. Not sure of the distribution of that survey but it sounds like they are taking the feedback seriously about tight fitting bases.

The good news is that RRS are being pros about this - another reason why they are great to do business with and I'm confident that it'll be perfect for the M9 soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Further feedback on my BM9 plate. I just got home from a business trip and had a chance to try the RRS plate on my M8. The fit was absolutely perfect. The M9 though is too tight which is surprising since it's assumed that they are supposed to be identical in size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    ....which is surprising since it's assumed that they are supposed to be identical in size.
    Have you tried swapping baseplates on your M8 and M9 and see if they actually fit one another exactly? I don't have an M9 (yet) but am curious to see if there is indeed a size difference.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried swapping base plates with the following results:

Chrome M8 base plate on chrome M8, good fit. Black M9 base on black m9, good fit. M8 base on M9, tighter fit but just OK. M9 base on M8, looser fit.

Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    I have tried swapping base plates with the following results:

Chrome M8 base plate on chrome M8, good fit. Black M9 base on black m9, good fit. M8 base on M9, tighter fit but just OK. M9 base on M8, looser fit.
    Just tried the same but black M8, black M9. The M8 base plate is a wee bit looser on the M9.

--chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it just me, but doesn't this make the camera look a bit lumpy? Disclosure: I don't like handgrips on an M camera in general and this one looks a lot better than the Leica one... And I believe I suggested the combo with the L-plate in the first place.But RRS is a little disingenuous in their sales blurb: Stamped steel original baseplate indeed. Solid machined brass it is... Naughty-naughty
    What surprises me is the need for different plates for the M8 and M9. The Leica plates are completely interchangable - and neither loose nor tight.
    Last edited by jaapv; 6th July 2010 at 03:26.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like

The grip looks more comfy than the standard Leica grip - but I still prefer the look of the Leica one far more ( and I can't stand the logo on that RRS base plate : /

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the email I just received from RRS on the Base Plate issue:

We would like to thank you for your participation in our BM9 fitting survey. In designing the BM9, we intentionally decided to improve the fit of Leica's standard base plate, which we found to be surprisingly loose and flexible. While dimensions naturally vary from camera to camera, even between two identical camera models, we could not predict just how variant it would be in Leica's case. Further, the Leica bodies used to fit our prototypes were on the smaller end of the spectrum. We now realize that a great deal of RRS BM9 plates fit too tightly on some cameras.

We therefore are proceeding with a voluntary recall of BM9 base plates.

If you feel that you are satisfied with the plate's fit, then do nothing. We will still honor your 5 year parts and manufacturing guarantee.

The fix of the base plate is pretty straightforward:

For U.S. customers:

1. Discontinue using the BM9 base plate immediately.

2. Contact Really Right Stuff via email: [email protected] or phone: 805-528-6321 and request a return shipping label via U.S. Postal Service or UPS. We will mail or email the shipping label to you.

3. Immediately send us your BM9 base plate once the shipping label arrives. You will have to print the label and attach it yourself. Include a copy of your original RRS Sales Order, or a short note with your return shipping information and/or customer information.

4. In the meantime, new plates are being made with widened dimensions. They will become available approximately 3 weeks from today.

5. After the improved plates become available, one will be shipped back to you at no charge.

For international customers:

1. Discontinue using the BM9 base plate immediately.

2. Immediately send us your BM9 base plate using your country's local carrier. Indicate on any customs forms that the contents of the package are undergoing a warranty replacement. Indicate the shipping costs on the package itself if possible. Include a copy of your original RRS Sales Order, or a short note with your return shipping information and/or customer information.

3. Once the plate arrives here at Really Right Stuff, Your shipping costs will be reimbursed via credit card.

4. In the meantime, new plates are being made with widened dimensions. They will become available approximately 3 weeks from today.

5. After the improved plates become available, one will be shipped back to you at no charge. We will ensure that the replacement items are properly labeled to avoid duplicate import taxes and customs fees.

We will not ship your replacement plate until the original is received here at Really Right Stuff in San Luis Obispo, CA. You must send us your tight fitting BM9 during your 30 day money back guarantee period, which began the day you received it. We understand some circumstances will not allow such a short window. Please contact us to make any special requests.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I just received the new RRS plate and side bracket for my M9. The fit and finish is suburb. If I had a gripe it would be that I needed to remove and refasten the neck strap; then the old saying is true - you can't please everyone. I ordered the side bracket with the thought that I wouldn't keep it on all the time if it made the camera too large and unwieldy however I've decided to keep it on as it doesn't change the fit of the camera in my hands. The base plate slides on and with the side benefit of having the side bracket attached is that it slides along the camera strap keeping it connected to the camera.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just figured out that I might have miss-installed the camera strap. I had originally removed the one end and reattached it using the same connection this making the bracket slide down the strap. I just reconnected the strap to the tiny connector on top the of the side bracket which makes the camera strap ring work better. Nevertheless the entire bracket remains connected to the camera via the strap which isn't a bad thing.

Sorry for the confusion.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not a fan of grips or L plates on the M cameras ... but because of you guys I am now poorer in cash as I just ordered 2 BM9-B base plates for my M9s.

I use the RRS Monopod head for my H4D/40 for landscape to portrait orientation, and now I can conform the Ms to use with the same Monopod ... Wahoo!

Don't mind the RRS logo on the heads and QR ... but hate anything like that on the Ms ... I'll just get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the RRS plate and grip (not the L version) and i like it better than the Leica grip. Looks better too, but that is secondary. May try the cameraleather covering but so far no compelling need for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a great fan of RRS stuff and have plenty of it - so no negative intent in this.

However I paused just before buying this particular item...........
    ........I feel that to match RRS standards the plate should have stop screws at each end of the plate to prevent any possibility of the camera falling out of the
    mount as it is engaged/disengaged - discussed this with them and they confirm that the design does not allow that - not even as a DIY exercise post purchase as there is not space to place threaded holes for retaining screws.

Pity - I always assume RRS will have out-thought and over-provided us.

I know it is not likely to happen but accidents do happen and best design
    provides for that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Krug View Post
    I am a great fan of RRS stuff and have plenty of it - so no negative intent in this.

However I paused just before buying this particular item...........
    ........I feel that to match RRS standards the plate should have stop screws at each end of the plate to prevent any possibility of the camera falling out of the
    mount as it is engaged/disengaged - discussed this with them and they confirm that the design does not allow that - not even as a DIY exercise post purchase as there is not space to place threaded holes for retaining screws.

Pity - I always assume RRS will have out-thought and over-provided us.

I know it is not likely to happen but accidents do happen and best design
    provides for that.
    Just installed the new RRS plates on my M9s ... Not following you on this.

Seems straight forward enough as it is.

Do you mean something to prevent the camera from sliding out when the QR is loosened?

I have that on my Hasselblad QR unit, and hate it because it takes the Quick out of Quick Release.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just published a review of the RRS BM9-B if would care to read it and click on the social media links to help promote it.

http://www.echenique.com/index.php/2...-plate-review/
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got my 3-piece kit for the M9... I like the grip a lot, feels much better than the Leica one. Overall a very nicely made piece.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Krug, I have to go with Marc on this one. A set screw, while indeed providing a level of security to keep your precious digital M from sliding out of the quick release, would be more of an impediment than anything else. When releasing any camera from a QR clamp, one firmly grasps the camera first, then releases the plate.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO