The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ruby Princess leaves the town...

otumay

It was an awesome sight; she was gliding effortlessly and gracefully over the waves, as if at a standstill. Only the change in her size and angle gave away her departure. In a few minutes, she was but a speck on the horizon, a diminishing member in the southbound caravan of ships heading for warmer waters. M8 with MATE.
Best,
Osman

Maggie O

Yes, Maggie, looks as if the ship has jumped out of a Fellini movie, doesn't it?
It's crazy. I took an Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess, which was the biggest cruise ship in the Pacific at the time, but the Ruby Princess is a whole order of magnitude larger! Here's a shot of the ship I was on:

otumay

Wow! These are other-worldly, Maggie! I guess the Diamond Princess is the larger one on the right. Both vessels constitute a stark contrast to their subtle surroundings.
One day I'm hoping to visit Alaska, Fairbanks in particular. That way I will have seen both ends of the Pan-American Highway.

doug

I'm amazed those ginormous cruise ships don't capsize. Must be electronic stability control. Impressive photos!

otumay

Thank you, Doug. I think stability is more of an issue in container vessels, where placement and/or displacement of bulky containers may cause the ship to capsize.

Double Negative

Not Available
Nice shots! I was just onboard the Caribbean Princess, for the second time. Touring down in the Caribbean... This was taken in Grand Turk. I'll actually be back aboard her for a third time early next year...

otumay

Marvelous capture, Double Negative. And she is a beauty, isn't she? Actually, I enjoy watching them from the shore more than traveling in them...

jonoslack

Impressive yes . . . but I can imagine nothing worse . . . . they look like prison hulks!
I'm sure they're luxurious but the idea of being banged up with all those people :eek:

m_driscoll

It was an awesome sight; she was gliding effortlessly and gracefully over the waves, as if at a standstill. Only the change in her size and angle gave away her departure. In a few minutes, she was but a speck on the horizon, a diminishing member in the southbound caravan of ships heading for warmer waters. M8 with MATE.
Best,
Osman
Osman: Osman: Great photos! They're impressive structures. I like this last one with the other two ships in it's wake.

It's crazy. I took an Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess, which was the biggest cruise ship in the Pacific at the time, but the Ruby Princess is a whole order of magnitude larger! Here's a shot of the ship I was on:
Maggie: That must be Juneau? Those beasts are in and out of
Seattle all Summer. When you're on the water and they're bearing down on you, it's a little unsettling. I've heard that's a very pretty trip up the inside passage.

Nice shots! I was just onboard the Caribbean Princess, for the second time. Touring down in the Caribbean... This was taken in Grand Turk. I'll actually be back aboard her for a third time early next year...
doublenegative: Nice image with the perspective and the clouds.

Impressive yes . . . but I can imagine nothing worse . . . . they look like prison hulks!
I'm sure they're luxurious but the idea of being banged up with all those people :eek:
Jono: You're being unkind to Prison Hulks, which actually were less ungainly looking. It reminds me of the Fhloston Paradise in the Fifth Element film.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Maggie O

Maggie: That must be Juneau? Those beasts are in and out of
Seattle all Summer. When you're on the water and they're bearing down on you, it's a little unsettling. I've heard that's a very pretty trip up the inside passage.
Yep, that's Juneau! It's a gorgeous cruise...even with the constant wind and rain. ;)

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm not one for guided tours or anything with a schedule - so initially I didn't even think about cruising. Turns out, they're fantastic for sampling destinations and finding ones you like - and returning directly later. Of course, there are marvelous photo opps everywhere, and I always bring gear.

Here are the pictures from my three cruises thus far...

Marvelous capture, Double Negative. And she is a beauty, isn't she? Actually, I enjoy watching them from the shore more than traveling in them...
Thank you! It's a pretty impressive ship. It's Princess' largest, at 3,100 max passengers. Commissioned in 2004, I was onboard in 2006 and just two weeks ago, 2010. They're definitely interesting to watch in motion, like huge ant colonies - especially in port! Your'e so right. Here's the info on all the ships.

They're so big, it's not that bad - and of course, quite luxurious. If it's a sunny day, it does get a little nutty on the sun deck. Heh. The key is to get a stateroom with a balcony - so you have your own little retreat. For my 4th cruise next year, I'm actually going to pop for a mini-suite. :)

I've done the "Eastern Caribbean" twice (different ports), the "Western" once and my 4th will be a "Southern."

rayyan

Osman, I agree with Jono here. I am a loner, maybe two people. But this!!:eek: