Site Sponsors

Thread: UV/IR for Summilux 35 (1st ver?) 1964 question

3tu3ni

UV/IR for Summilux 35 (1st ver?) 1964 question

I have been doing some research on the lux 35 1st. ver., circa 1964 that is being offered for sale to me. I noticed that it does not have a filter thread. Anyone has any experience putting in a UV/IR filter with this on M8?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UV/IR for Summilux 35 (1st ver?) 1964 question

Here you go, this is what I use on my 35mm pre asph Summilux. You can get the series 7 UV/IR filter from B+W or use the 49mm Leica filter if you reverse it so that it's thread faces outwards when you mount it into the two section hood.

Bob.

3tu3ni

Thanks Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just remembered one thing you should check for with the pre asph 35mm Summilux. There is a circular tube shield on the back of the lens. On some lenses the shield fouls the inside of the camera and doesn't quite allow you to focus to infinity on the M8. I'm not sure if the same applies to the M9. Not all Summiluxes have this problem. Mine did, but two or three others I tried at a dealers were OK. The shield can be easily removed by a competent repairer and the correct shape cut out to allow the camera to focus to infinity. If you think you may have this problem try to get the lens on sale or return.

Read through this thread if you haven't already seen it. Also posts 5, 11, 43, 44 and 46 in this thread which discuss the rear shield.

Bob.

3tu3ni

Seller said, it comes with the Oclux 12522 hood. Googling took me here I think I might try this if I get the lens since I already have a E39 UV/IR filter.

3tu3ni

Bob, I have heard of the issue, unfortunately seller is not very familiar with it. I guess I will have to take a chance. I am going to read the link again.