The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm Cron instead of 50mm Lux

J

jifjif

Since 50 lux is in short supply, I was thinking of getting a 75mm cron.

From what I have read 50 lux is best lens out there but how does it stack up against 75 cron (aside from obvious length and speed).

bradhusick

Well the 75 cron and the 90 cron are excellent lenses and easier to handle than the 75 lux. Try to avoid the silver ones because they are a bit heavier.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Whenever selecting an M lens you should first define your requirements . What do you enjoy shooting?

From a purely IQ perspective most users are very happy with the 75 summicron. It has high image contrast,great color saturation and renders in the current Leica M look which produces strong ,crisp images. Its character is bitingly sharp. It renders in a similar fashion to the 50 1.4 asph (its my understanding that they were designed by the same team ).

Its small,light ,has a short throw and can focus close.

What its not.....(1)much different in FOV from the 50 asph ...just look at the framelines . I would rarely carry the 75cron and the 50 asph at the same time. I do like the 75cron better on the M8 where it has a 100mm FOV. On the M9 its not different enough from the 50 for most of my uses. (2) a great portrait lens ...the sharpness even at f2 hinders the 75 cron rendering ..its just too clinical for many situations.

But all of this is based on my shooting requirements and tastes and yours may differ. What other lenses you have is also a consideration. If you use primarily a 35cron asph the 75 cron makes a nice pair .

Brad s advice is good ..the 50 cron is a great lens especially in the high contrast light we get in the summer evenings. Beautiful color without the very high contrast of the asph lenses. Find a nice used one ..send it to DAG for 6bit coding and calibration and you have a great lens for less than $1000. Which is easy to resell when your ship comes in with the 50 1.4 asph.

J

jifjif

Great advices.

Recently moved to M9 and looking to rebuild the collection.

Should I consider 90 also?

I been told 90 and 50 or as pointed out 35 and 75.

Tim Gray

From what I understand, the 75/2 and 50/1.4 ASPH are very 'sister' designs. Very similar in look, etc. I personally like the extra stop and the 50mm focal length, so I went with that one. If you don't need f/1.4 and/or like to frame a bit tighter, then the 75/2 might be the lens for you.

I don't think I'd like using both a 50 and a 75, too close together. but that's just me. My long lens is a 90, but I don't use it as much as I should.

bradhusick

I just got back from a one week trip to Norway and was shooting a travel log, not art photos. I took 5 lenses: 18, 28, 35, 50, 90.

I shot:
75% with the 50 (cron),
10% with the 35 (cron),
10% with the 28 (cron)and
2.5% with each of the 18 and 90 (cron).

The luxes all stayed home.

This is just one anecdotal trip, but it reflects my overall usage fairly well.
-B

otumay

Which camera you use, Brad? M8, or M9? I also recently returned from a trip myself and found that it was more like 50% 21/2.8, 40% 28/2.0 and 10% 50/2.0 with M8.
Osman

Paratom

I find there is definatly a different look between 50 and 75. 75 being more compressed.
Personally I find 50 more flexible. I also prefer the larger area in the viewfinder when shooting 50mm, and f1.4 makes it more usefull for available light.
I often even carry 2 wides +50/1.4 and 75 (in my case Summarit 75)
75 for the more compressed head and sholders. In the end I use 50mm more often. I dont find the 50asph to clinical, it is contrasty and saturated but the bokeh is even smoother than that of the 50 Summicron.