The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm Cron vs. 25mm ZM: benefits ?

C

Catatac

hi all

My dealer finally has some Leica lenses in stock. I am contemplating the Cron 35mm. At present, I only have 2 lenses of which one is in for repair (the Lux 50mm). My other lense which I enjoy a lot is the Zeiss 25mm/2.8 ZM. However, I always felt it isnt suitable for closer portrait shots on the street and the 50mm Lux was too narrow. Am I being too fussy ? Just wondering how the Cron 35mm will benefit me. My thinking is that it will be better for street portraits and interior shots than the Zeiss. Btw, I am still a newbie to RF photography having had my M8 for only 3 months or so...

Any opinions ? I've read Sean Reid's reviews but he doesnt do this type of comparison.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 35 cron Asph you may not want for the street although extremely good lens it is a touch contrasty. Now after doing my lens review with the new 35mm Summarit if you can deal with the 2.5 speed it maybe a better street lens because the contrast is slightly lower

S

Shootist

It all depends on what and how you like to shoot. No one focal length is good for every type of shot or shooter.
With Film M's I always liked using the 50mm lens and very rarely used a 35 but I did when it was needed and even went to lower/wider focal length lenses. With the M8 I still find my most used lenses are the 50mm's, both Cron and Lux.
That's just the way I like to shoot. Do I use a 40, 35, 28, 24, 21 on the M8, sure I do (21 is the shortest FL I have in my M lens line up) but I also use the 75, 90 and 135.
It all comes down to what and how you like to shoot.
Most on this forum state that there mostly used lens is X (most being shorter then a 50mm) and that if you liked the 50 on film then a 35 is the closest you're going to come to it with the M8. I don't see it that way. The 50 is still my mostly used lens and I take 1-1.5 steps backwards, or should I say I now take 1-1.5 steps closer when using a 50 on a film M.
You can't go wrong with the 35 Summicron. It only adds to what you can shoot from what distance you are shooting from.