The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Name that lens

markmont

Quick question, sorry if this is in the wrong area. Does anyone have any clue what lens would produce this type of shallow depth of field ( blurred at the nose even, close focus distance ) that would work on an M8? Thanks a ton in advanced.

dannh

Regardless of what lens was used, you could achieve this affect with a Noctilux. That would be my guess.

M

Mango

A 75mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.4 could also give you similar results when the focus is set at the minimum distance.

ashwinrao1

These images are interesting, as they seem to have a bit of distortion to the faces to suggest a wide lens, but have a look similar to the 85 mm f/1.2 lens for Canon EOS mount, for shallowness of DOF. I think your best bet would be the 75 summilux f/1.4 to get DOF, but distortion would be less, which I personally would prefer.

f 10

This is the result of the Leica 75mm Summilux
I think it is too creamy

I do not think there is a solution for M

Last edited:

Don Hutton

From the slight facial distortion, I'd guess that it was shot using a fast 50mm from very close - closer than any 50mm M lenses can focus. Anything shorter shot from that close would probably show a lot more facial distortion. I'd gamble on it being shot wide open with a 50mm Nikkor AI-s f1.2 which does focus pretty close (19 inches)... Obviously, it could also be done very easily on large format where very narrow DOF is often a big issue with portraiture.

markmont

Yea it's been quite the brain twist trying to figure it out. I've tried shooting 35mm f1.2 and 50mm f1.1 - neither spawning the same results. Similar bokeh on the f1.1 but can only get up to 1m away for focus distance, so the nose never gets that out of focus. Based on the distortion i was guessing it might be a 28mm low f but don't have one to test. I don't even want to shoot like this, I just want to definitively know heh. Whats the closest focusing distance 35mm lens? Thanks for the replies all.

John Black

A 50 Lux ASPH has a .7M min focus distance, so about 26 inches. The 75mm Summicron APO offers the greatest magnification (aside from the 90mm Macro M's). Note quite the same style and I doubt I was right at the 50 Lux ASPH's min focus distance here, but the general effect is possible (50 Lux ASPH & M8) -

Don Hutton

Yea it's been quite the brain twist trying to figure it out. I've tried shooting 35mm f1.2 and 50mm f1.1 - neither spawning the same results. Similar bokeh on the f1.1 but can only get up to 1m away for focus distance, so the nose never gets that out of focus. Based on the distortion i was guessing it might be a 28mm low f but don't have one to test. I don't even want to shoot like this, I just want to definitively know heh. Whats the closest focusing distance 35mm lens? Thanks for the replies all.
I don't think it's any wider than a 50 - I actually shot a Voigtlander 40mm with a close-up lens to get an idea and even a 40mm produces much more dramatic feature distortion than those shots show.

Here's a quick snap of my daughter shot with a 50mm Zeiss Planar at f1.4 at about 45cm (18inches) - I think an extra 1/2 stop would be whats needed, but I don't have one of those f1.2 Nikkors anymore! 9 year old's have much shorter noses of course...

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

I agree on the 50/1.4 ASPH, since at 1.4 and .7m, I think it has shallower depth of field than the noctilux at f/1 (or .95) at 1m. Distance has more effect on DOF than aperture, so it is easy to throw all the backround out if you have a very close focusing lens. Another option would be the 90mm f/4 Macro Elmar, but then you would be getting a very low distortion lens.

markmont

Hmmmmm - 50mm at .7m ( same focus distance as my 35mm ) I am intrigued to try it out. And from the shot above, far less distortion ( clearly a plus ). I need some more money : ) I'm also interested to compare the shots I get with that lens vs. my nokton 50mm f1.1. I saw steve huffs review but would def. rather shoot for myself to see the results. Thanks gang. Much obliged.

jeffvk

It was very popular a few years ago to use a slight closeup filter especially on a Hassey with an 80. I would guess this is a mild wide to normal with a +1, 2 or 4 close up filter. You could get this with an M8 but you'd have to come up with a creative focusing measuring device.(I use my arm with a 28 Zeiss at the .5 meter setting and it works fine).

Good luck.

henningw

Medium format could probably get you the required parameters, although as noted close focus is an issue. Large format could get you those results without a doubt, but it's very hard getting your subject to stay in the correct plane of focus while you insert the film holder, close the shutter and cock it, pull the slide, and release the shutter. I've done this, but the hit rate isn't that great.

I know that the likliest of my lenses (75/1.4, 50/1, 35/1.4) can't produce this.

Henning

henningw

Medium format could probably get you the required parameters, although as noted close focus is an issue. Large format could get you those results without a doubt, but it's very hard getting your subject to stay in the correct plane of focus while you insert the film holder, close the shutter and cock it, pull the slide, and release the shutter. I've done this, but the hit rate isn't that great.

I know that the likliest of my lenses (75/1.4, 50/1, 35/1.4) can't produce this.

Henning

henningw

I know that the likeliest of my lenses (75/1.4, 50/1, 35/1.4) can't produce this.

Henning