The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on long lenses

ohdannyboy

Wondering if anyone has advice on what kinds of long lenses to get (e.g., the Telyt series) for the M9.

Also, why doesn't Leica make any zoom lenses for the M range? Is it not physically feasible?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Actually Leica does make a zoom lens for the M series - the WATE is actually a zoom between 16-21mm, unlike the MATE which has fixed 28/35/50 stops.

As regards long lenses, the 135 APO-Telyt is an excellent lens, albeit similar in bulk to the 90 cron. For my personal travel shooting I stick with the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M although I do sometimes miss the APO-Telyt's range. On the M8 the APO-Telyt's crop factor made it an excellent telephoto too. One thing about the 135 is that you'll be composing and focusing pretty much within the focus patch.

Leicadoc

Before you look into a Telyt or 135, look at the older 135's from Canon and Nikon in LTM.
I have the Canon 135/3.5 and use a 1.25 magnifier.
Images from a nice one are extremely fine, and you can get one of these for a fraction of the Leica price...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
If you want to go beyond 135 mm on an M camera you need to work your way into the Visoflex system. Recently I found that the third version Telyt-V 280/4.8 is well able to compete with modern lenses, which surprised me quite a bit, as the versions 1 and 2 are very nice, but have a decided vintage look. As for zoom lenses, as the framelines do not zoom, a true zoom lens is not possible. The closest was indeed the three-focal length Tri-Elmar, now discontinued, and the non-frameline coupled Wideangle Tri-Elmar, which needs an external viewfinder.

Brian S

The Komura 200/4.5 is RF coupled, and is Leica Thread Mount. They pop up on Ebay, and in camera shows. Faster than using the Visoflex.

The later Canon 135/3.5 is quite sharp, better than the Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5 wide-open. Also smaller and lighter. The Leitz 135/2.8 with eyes usually goes for a cheap price for a Leica lens. Long lenses are not popular on a rangefinder camera.