The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, advice from all you M9 users!!!

rchisholm

Hello everyone! First, want to say I really enjoy these forums. Wonderful what all of you contribute.

Now to the issue: I sold, about a year ago, my M8 and Leica gear, as my 17 year old is into movie making, and the Canon 5D2 system represented an affordable way for me to shoot photos and him movies all in one package.

Fast forward a year - Sure I shoot great stuff with the Canon. The 5D2 and 85L, wow, what a combo for portraits and kids! Hard to beat.

I find, however, that I really miss the style of pictures, the mojo, if you will, that I found with my M8. The photos had a different moment in time feel.

So, the big question. M9? I can't go back to the cropped M8. But is it worth the $$. I do miss having my Leica with me all the time! The Canon comes out at specific times, but is not a constant companion... All thoughts are appreciated. -Rob

mtomalty

Why not consider adding a Zeiss ZE 28, 35, or 50mm f 2.0 to the 5DMkll ?

Amazing quality and reduces the 'footprint' of the 5D considerably- not to
M9 dimensions but very portable.

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

jaapv

Subscriber Member
M9? Worth every cent imo - but no camera is worth getting into financial sacrifices for and M8 is at rock bottom. Zeiss ZM lenses are a more affordable alternative on the M9 as well. But don't forget about the Leica Summarit range - about the best value for money there is.

Last edited:

jonoslack

I'm with Jaap (as always :) ). The M9 is wonderful - if you need compact, and you don't need the ultimate in wide aperture, then the summarit lenses are great value, tiny and excellent quality.
I you loved your M8, then go for it!

J

JohnW

Rob, have you considered a GF1 or EP-2? I know they are no M9, but they are smaller, great fun to use, about 1/10th the cost of an M9 system, and the files are surprisingly good. A very nice companion to a 5DII, I think.

John

jonoslack

Rob, have you considered a GF1 or EP-2? I know they are no M9, but they are smaller, great fun to use, about 1/10th the cost of an M9 system, and the files are surprisingly good. A very nice companion to a 5DII, I think.

John
I love my EP2, but the involvement / mojo is less than with an SLR, the joy of the M is being more involved. Of course, if it's just the size you're interested in . . .

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hello everyone! First, want to say I really enjoy these forums. Wonderful what all of you contribute.

Now to the issue: I sold, about a year ago, my M8 and Leica gear, as my 17 year old is into movie making, and the Canon 5D2 system represented an affordable way for me to shoot photos and him movies all in one package.

Fast forward a year - Sure I shoot great stuff with the Canon. The 5D2 and 85L, wow, what a combo for portraits and kids! Hard to beat.

I find, however, that I really miss the style of pictures, the mojo, if you will, that I found with my M8. The photos had a different moment in time feel.

So, the big question. M9? I can't go back to the cropped M8. But is it worth the $$. I do miss having my Leica with me all the time! The Canon comes out at specific times, but is not a constant companion... All thoughts are appreciated. -Rob
Get the M9 (or at least get on a waiting list) and exactly one lens. Your choice of the 28 chron or 35 chron, or the new 35 lux if you can spare the cost of a used car. Nothing like the M9. It compliments the Canon nicely (my other camera is a Nikon D700 which I selected over the 5D2 for its best in class high ISO performance). Use the Canon in long lens and low light situations. Use the M9 in wide angle and discrete situations, and as a carry around.

Don Libby

M9? Worth every cent imo - but no camera is worth getting into financial sacrifices for and M8 is at rock bottom. Zeiss ZM lenses are a more affordable alternative on the M9 as well. But don't forget about the Leica Summarit range - about the best value for money there is.
I'm with Jaap (as always :) ). The M9 is wonderful - if you need compact, and you don't need the ultimate in wide aperture, then the summarit lenses are great value, tiny and excellent quality.
I you loved your M8, then go for it!
I agree with both Jaapy and Jono. The M9 is great however it isn't worth much if you're up to your eyes in debt and it isn't making you money.

I was never interested in the M8 for the basic reason that it was a cropped sensor which is my own personal hangup.

Don

dseelig

I love the m9 did not love the m8 I shoot a lot of low light and the uv ir filters caused reflections into the frame. I have two m9s. The zeiss glass is not bad but I have all leica glass now. The voigt glass to me was crap. The 5d mk11 is for me a flawed assignment camera the autofocus sucks.
the m9 makes me think more shoot a little less and get better results. PS I am a working pro- broke-not a rich guy I have sacrificed a lot to get my leica set up and for me it is worth it.