The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking about a used X1

kuau

Workshop Member
I am thinking about getting an X1, probably from Hiromu on this site.
Does anyone know if Leica USA warranty is transferable?
Is this something I should be concerned with?
and..
Is the optical viewfinder a "must have"

Thanks
Steven

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Steven,

are you really sure? I was interested to get one as well, but deferred after really checking the quality and functionality.

I would not even get a used one, would rather go for a M43 (G2 or EP2) or NEX5 instead.

Just my 2c ;)

esy0345

Warantee is not transferrable if it has been register with Leica. Viewfinder is very nice to have but not necessary. I have a Voit but just use the screen. It is completely silent and discreet. Image quality is really great and it is easy to carry. If they can just speed up the focusing...:sleep006:

ashwinrao1

Have one, have had it for 5 months, longer than many, love it, would buy it again in a heart beat...as long as you can live with slow-ish AF and a fixed 35 f/2.8 lens (equivalent)....I find the photography to be liberating when I wish for a change of pace.

Best,
Ashwin

The X1 is a great little camera which is capable of producing excellent images. In fact it is on the Getty Images recommended list for submissions. That is pretty amazing for a small, pocketable camera.

The X1's small size, ease of use and image quality are its strong points. Its weaknesses are, in my opinion, slow autofocus, shutter lag, and focus lock/exposure lock are fixed together (no way to separate the two).

The optical viewfinder is not a must, but I enjoy using one because it puts the camera at my eye and is more like using a rangefinder. It also is better for low shutter speed situations since the camera is braced better. With that said, I don't use the viewfinder very often because I prefer to keep the overall size as small as possible.

I don't know if the warranty is transferable. Sorry.

Regards,
Mark

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Does anyone know of the X1 has a AA filter in it?

Steven

ashwinrao1

Yup, the X1 does have a Sony branded 1.5x APS-C size filter, with an anti-aliasing filter. I would have preferred that it not have that filter, but I think it comes standard without an option to remove it. THere are companies such as maxmax.com that can remove the anti-aliasing filter for you, which is called "Hot Rodding". Don't know if they do it with the X1, but they do the 5D and 5DII.

THat being said, the X1 seems plenty sharp for me.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I just got an X1 (on eBay, two months old) as a pocket camera when I don't want to lug the MFDB or the Sony gear - in other words, when I'm not going out to take photos but want to have something with me in case of the shot of a lifetime!

All the drawbacks I've read about are true, but I'm gladly suffering them simply because of the extraordinary image quality. I've had many compact cameras but none with such clear, sharp images.

I also like the analog controls on the top plate - no screwing around with menus simply to change a shutter speed or aperture. The AF is slow, but as an MFDB user, I'm quite accustomed to that!

But I do wish for real image stabilization, even though the high ISO performance is so good that fast shutter speeds are easily used.

Love the X1!

Bill

kuau

Workshop Member
Steven,

are you really sure? I was interested to get one as well, but deferred after really checking the quality and functionality.

I would not even get a used one, would rather go for a M43 (G2 or EP2) or NEX5 instead.

Just my 2c ;)
Peter,
I had a GF1 for 4 months, with the panasonic 20mm lens, and the optional viewfinder which I really didn't like, and I was not a big fan of the 20mm lens, to me not wide enough, and not long enough..
The dng's I have downloaded from the X1 to me look much sharper edge to edge then M43, I also rented for 3 days a Gh1, which I read has the best M43 sensor out there, and still not that impressed.

I know the NEX 5 is the buzz right now, again, 16mm lens, to wide for what I am looking for and not a big fan of the zoom and to large for me.

Steven

Steven

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I've had an X1 for a few months. I use it as a backup for my M9 when I am traveling -- and for when I want to go really light. All of the minuses described above are true -- especially the autofocus, which is slow, and the clumsy autofocus/exposure lock. I wouldn't think of using it for fast moving subjects (like little grandchildren) as the autofocus and shutter lag conspire against work like this. I would rather use my M9 prefocused, or a DSLR for that.

The plus is that the quality is superb, DSLR quality in a very small package.

I would definitely not be happy with it as my main camera but for the uses I make of it the pluses outweigh the minuses. I have a finder and I use it especially in bright sun where the screen is hard to see (I got a used Voigtlander 35mm finder, which is fine; I am not one who insists on Leica or Zeiss quality in a viewfinder as opposed to lenses).

By the way, I went from a Canon G10 to the X1. The Canon shares some of the detriments, has a viewfinder that is barely adequate, and produces files not as good. I gave it to one of my sons.

Bottom line is I am still searching for the perfect small sensor camera and haven't found it yet.

The M9 will be kept for a long time I suspect. The X1 until something better (X2?) comes along.

kuau

Workshop Member
:D I bit the bullet and purchased a dealer demo chrome m9 and 3 lenses
yikes!!!!
I hope I can focus it :ROTFL:

D&A

LOL...you both got it wrong :) Not Chrome and not Silver.....Gray! (OK, I couldn't resist a little fun while finishing up some writing at 3:00am.) Teaches me not to stay up so late and and attempt a little humor. Whatever the color is called..we can all agree, it takes wonderful images!

Dave (D&A)