Site Sponsors

Thread: New M9 screen on photokina ?

Post Thanks / Like

New M9 screen on photokina ?

Hi there,

So of you know that I badly scratch the M9 rear screen, although functional, it has the damn scratches.

Last day of a 15 day holidays, bought a screen and the moment I took it out, my all metal MP decided that was nice to fondle with the M9 screen.

Anyway... so I decided to email Leica, just to know how would be the replacement of the plastic screen - take pride in my stuff

Got this very very curious answer :

"Dear Mr. Proenca,

Many thanks for your inquiry.

I feel sorry to hear your story about your Leica M9 monitor. As we need to exchange the whole camera back please calculate about
    750 €uro. In this matter I recommend to wait until October for two reasons. First of all I guess the meant time to repair will be
    less then 3 weeks and second the photokina is over and you never know what is new.

Anyway I already attach the repair form sheet and info about our express and fast service.
    In case of further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

Leica Camera AG
    Customer ServiceSolmser Gewerbepark 8 / D-35606 Solms / Germany
    Telephone +49(0)6442-208-189 / Fax +49(0)6442-208-339"

I know that Leica is trying to output the max M9 they can but the situation seems to be stabilizing now... you can more or less easily get a M9 now, with just a few weeks waiting.

Interesting comment frmo Leica anyway .)

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New M9 screen on photokina ?

Actually in my part of the world you can get an M9 from stock ... My local dealer has 2x black M9's in stock right now.

The Photokina comment was somewhat intriguing - it almost suggested that something new was coming down the pike in relation to the LCD cover. Sapphire glass finally perhaps? If you're paying 750€ for a new rear camera body and they say "woah" ... Hmm, interesting. That would be the kind of cost for an upgrade if my M8u was anything to go by.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that sort of rules out using an M8.2 sapphire screen on the M9 if only for the reason that the finish is different (e.g. black chrome versus black paint) since you need to replace "the back of the camera." Plus there's the issue of the body covering (e.g. sharkskin versus vulcanite).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating. I guess we'll see. I could use a new screen on my M9, due to a scratch, but 750 euro's is too much. a nice sapphire glass upgrade would be nice...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

A nice $20 replaceable Schott glass cover works well.
    I (respectifully) disagree with those who believe that the camera ought to have an expensive, difficult-to-replace piece of jewelry for the LCD screen. It's a vulnerable wear item; support for a simple, effective, affordable user-replaceable part ought to be part of the design by the manufacturer. Clearly, that's too much to ask from a company which apparently believes $120-$200 for a small rechargeable battery isn't unreasonable.

I like Leica - I have an M9, M6 and 5 Leica lenses, but some of their practices are indefensible.

efix

I see no reason why Leica should not be able to implement the same sapphire glass into the M9 back as they use for the M8.2 and M8u. But to concur with tele_player, if you use the correct screen protection from the beginning, there's actually no much need for such expensive add-ons. I've always been using adhesive protection foils on my digicams and never had scratched displays. If your foil gets stratches, simply replace it. Do this a hundred times, and it'll still be less than what that sapphire glass would cost in the first place. But then again, this is Leica land, innit? ;-)

d2mini

My saltwater tank is sapphire glass. Guess what. It scratches. It's softer than regular glass. It's more clear because there are less metals in it, but this makes it softer and easier to scratch. All you need is the Giottos/Schott SP8250 glass cover like mentioned above. Once it's on you don't even know it's there. Cheap, effective and replaceable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you may be confusing low-iron glass, the main brand is "Starfire" which is less green than normal glass. Sapphire glass is very hard

http://www.rayotek.com/tech-specs/ma...omparisons.htm

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe that the better watch crystals are sapphire due to their ability to resist scratching.

OSC

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    My saltwater tank is sapphire glass. Guess what. It scratches. It's softer than regular glass. It's more clear because there are less metals in it, but this makes it softer and easier to scratch. All you need is the Giottos/Schott SP8250 glass cover like mentioned above. Once it's on you don't even know it's there. Cheap, effective and replaceable.
    I also put the Giottos/Shott SP8250 glass on my M9 and very reasonable to protect the original screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Sapphire glass would be awesome. A new high res (if possible) OLED screen with sapphire glass for say, 500 Euro?

Those who read the financial reports from Leica will know that they're doing much better thanks to greatly increased profit margins. They *could* have afforded Sapphire glass in the M9, but thanks to not including it they're making about $300 extra per-camera and it doesn't seem to have affected demand.

d2mini, there is no way your tank is sapphire glass, as there is no way sapphire would have scratched unless your fish or aquarium features are made of diamond.