Site Sponsors

Thread: 21mm lens option questions

Post Thanks / Like

21mm lens option questions

Hello!

As I had posted earlier, I took a bunch of lenses with me on our 20th anniversary cruise. I also converted from an M8 to an M9.

Now that I am back, I have been reconfiguring my lens kit to reflect what I learned and adjust for the M9.

I took with me a WATE 16-18-21. Of the three settings on the M9, I prefered the 21mm. Especially for interior shots. But, the f4 was slow, especially where flash was not allowed.

Since returning, I sold the WATE and am now looking for a faster 21mm, probably the f2.8.

I am trying to get feedback to compare the Elmarit-M and the Zeiss Biogon. In reading the literature, the Zeiss Biogon gets great reviews and has been complimented for minimal distortion.

I will be shooting interiors (where I think distortion matters) and landscape (where perhaps distortion is not as much an issue).

Thank you for any insight you may offer.

Michael

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 21mm lens option questions

The 21 Summilux is outstanding for interiors and low light (obviously). I find that I use my WATE for landscapes mostly but the 'lux rocks. As it should!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2,8/21 Biogon ZM is a great lens. I'm currently using the 4/18 and 2,8/25 combo at the wide end, but am considering a move (or addition) to this one.

The 21 Lux is no doubt a great lens as well, but expensive and large - and personally, I don't know if I care for the bokeh.

Just stay away from the slower 4,5/21 Biogon C ZM on the M9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the price is no object , then the Summilux is a special lens; F1.4 is hard to beat when you need it. DR

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Graham and HDRMD...the 21 lux is special...huge but special, and of course, bokeh is very subjective. I agree with Double Negative that the bokeh can be a bit geometric, but to me, the images from the Lux, including some of Graham's totally pop and have a certain amazing Leica charm. If it weren't so big, I'd have gone for it, but I settled on a 24 lux instead...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    The 2,8/21 Biogon ZM is a great lens. I'm currently using the 4/18 and 2,8/25 combo at the wide end, but am considering a move (or addition) to this one.

The 21 Lux is no doubt a great lens as well, but expensive and large - and personally, I don't know if I care for the bokeh.

Just stay away from the slower 4,5/21 Biogon C ZM on the M9.
    Thanks to everyone with suggestions.

It looks like I am following the path described by Double Negative. I just purchased a 2.8/25, and I am looking for a 4/18.

No doubt I will pick up a 2.8/21 eventually.

So many choices.

Thanks again, to all.

Michael