The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 Image Question

ShiroKuro

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what is going on here and if it is considered normal for the M8 ? Thanks in advance for your input ......

ISO 640 / ISO 1250

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Do you run very old firmware? Might this be one of the very first M8 cameras that has not had its factory recall?

The first image btw is just reflections in the filter. I am referring specifically to the banding in the second shot.

ShiroKuro

Thanks JAAP,
Firmware 2.005
The reflection is from the filter, which of course makes total sense ...; )

So is the banding caused from a faulty sensor which there was a recall for ,or is this just a quirk of the M8 ?

ashwinrao1

Hi Charles,
I do think that the M8 sensor can be prone to some banding at "higher ISO's", to the point where I generally avoided ISO 640 when I had one, though I could use it if pressed into service.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Thanks JAAP,
Firmware 2.005
The reflection is from the filter, which of course makes total sense ...; )

So is the banding caused from a faulty sensor which there was a recall for ,or is this just a quirk of the M8 ?
The series 3100001 - 3101500 had a recall to add a mass contact for banding.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Hi Charles,
I do think that the M8 sensor can be prone to some banding at "higher ISO's"....
That is basically correct, although the banding is more or less limited to under-exposed high-ISO images. The type of banding we see in this shot, i.e.strong stripes emanating from highlights, is very reminiscent of the effects we saw late 2006.

cam

a little late... but what are you using to process the images?

i found that makes a huge difference, too, especially at high ISOs.

i'm one of those who shoots at whatever ISO i need -- which means, yes, far too frequently i go into the 1250-2500 range :eek:

i've had pretty good success with using C1, along with Jamie Robert's profiles (even when i use IR filters).

ShiroKuro

Just wanted to follow up on this ... Thanks for all the comments here and the help from behind the scenes . Don Hutton took the time to send a few RAW files to Leica on my behalf . The camera checked out and according to Leica the camera is working as it should. Apparently when shooting at the higher ISO's on an M8 with a bright light source in the scene will cause this if the image exposure is not right on . The over exposure of the lights is what is causing the streak . I went out shooting last night in china town and had maybe one or two images that had the streak ,the rest of the images were fine . Thanks again Don , JAAP, Ashwin and Cam ...

Aloha ,
Charles