Site Sponsors

Thread: NEW LENS ALERT - Cosina Voigtlander 75 mm f/1.8 in M mount

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

NEW LENS ALERT - Cosina Voigtlander 75 mm f/1.8 in M mount

Hi all,

Just wanted to alert you to a new 75 mm lens on the block, the CV 75 mm f/1.8 Heliar:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=ja&tl=en

Looks interesting. Bigger than the 75 APO-Cron and smaller than the 75 lux, 10 blade aperture. If the prior 75 f/2.5 is any indication, this could be a really nice lens at a price point, 0.9 m close focus (not too shabby), f1.8!!! and it looks pretty well built
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW LENS ALERT - Cosina Voigtlander 75 mm f/1.8 in M mount

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi all,

Just wanted to alert you to a new 75 mm lens on the block, the CV 75 mm f/1.8 Heliar:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=ja&tl=en

Looks interesting. Bigger than the 75 APO-Cron and smaller than the 75 lux, 10 blade aperture. If the prior 75 f/2.5 is any indication, this could be a really nice lens at a price point, 0.9 m close focus (not too shabby), f1.8!!! and it looks pretty well built
    Hi Ashwin,

Don't you just love Google Translate...."taste sweet bokeh" - sounds positively yummy

Anyway, my used 75 f2.5 arrived this morning to round out my CV collection so I don't expect to be jumping on this anytime soon, but certainly nice to see further additions to the range.

Have a good weekend.

Mike

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, this lens is being called "dreamy" wide open and a "portrait lens." So if you're looking for sharp wide open performance, this may not be the lens for you.

I know I was excited initially, but it's rating a full-on "meh" now. I do enjoy the 1,2/35 Nokton tremendously and am considering the 1,1/50 Nokton now that I have an M9. But it looks like they'll be without further company.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, looks like Cosina may be targetting the look of the 75 lux, like they did with the Nokton 35 f/1.4 targetting the look of the pre-aspherical summilux. I think the strategy is interesting, create a niche producing new lenses that render a look quite different than Leica's crusade for perfection by making lenses essentially 1 generation or 2 behind what Leica's doing. Probably means easier manufactur, less exotic or cutting edge elements, cheaper production and manufacture.

I was laughing too, Mike, about the sweet yummie bokeh! HAHA...AWESOME! I do hope it's sweet and yummie for real, maybe a winner. We'll see.

My guess is that it will fall in line with the Nokton 35 Nokton or 50 nokton 1.5 for performance. I think they should make a 90 f/1.8 and have something truly unique next...hahah...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Might be interesting. I had trouble focusing 75 Lux because of its long focus-throw, so I use a Summicron. But I get some less-than-fortunate (sour?) bokeh with it & find it too 'clinical' except at widest apertures. Perhaps this will be the porridge that's just right for me.

Kirk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the CV 75mm 2.5 which has pretty nice bokeh if used correctly. Let's hope that Mr. Kobiyashi will keep his word with this lens.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Abrahammson has posted some pics taken with this lens...big sucker. More test shots and shots of the lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwi...heliar75mmf18/
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For comparison's sake, here is a quick shot of a "volunteer" with the CV 75mm Heliar f/2.5 @ f/4. I have to say I like the bokeh.

IMG_20100822_1354 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Tom Abrahammson has posted some pics taken with this lens...big sucker. More test shots and shots of the lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwi...heliar75mmf18/
    I shot some photos with Tom's lens (which he's had since about April) last week and it has indeed close to 75 Summilux rendition. It's called 'Heliar classic', and apparently uses a formula similar to those portrait lenses of the 50's. It actually looks quite sharp, but it's forte is portraits, especially wide open. If I didn't have the Summilux I would be very interested in this lens.

In my opinion the .9m minimum focussing distance is unfortunate, but Mr. Kobayashi has calculated once again that making it focus closer would a)cost more and b)show up poor performance at closer distances. I would still prefer it that way. Build quality is quite good, with a rather fiddly two part hood. Focus throw is quite short.

Henning

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Might be interesting. I had trouble focusing 75 Lux because of its long focus-throw, so I use a Summicron. But I get some less-than-fortunate (sour?) bokeh with it & find it too 'clinical' except at widest apertures. Perhaps this will be the porridge that's just right for me.

Kirk
    the 75 Summarit could also be the right lens for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    the 75 Summarit could also be the right lens for you.
    Interesting I've not seen much comparing the Heliar and new Summarit....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post

Kirk
    Oh Kirk
    My 75 'cron is rarely off one of my M9 bodies - I think the bokeh is definitely yummie - and it's sharp too. I've got a Nocti and a 24 'lux, but I still think that the 75 'cron is my all time favorite M lens. . . . . I guess it just goes to show that good bokeh is in the eyes of the beholder.

all the best

Just this guy you know