Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: M9 rangefinder misalignment

  1. #1
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    M9 rangefinder misalignment

    i just realized a strange misalignment of the rangefinder of my M9. the images inside the rangefinder patch cannot be brought to coincide anymore, they show some vertical displacement, i.e. one image always stays slightly above the other. this happens with all the lenses which i have with me on my trip to india (35mm LUX, 50mm LUX, 90mm Cron and 21mm Bioogon) and at all distances, from close up to infinity. if i pull the focus such that the two images inside the patch are exactly vertically displaced (with no lateral displacement) then focusing is accurate.
    has anyone here had a similar M9 problem?
    cheers from hyderabad,
    peter
    (copied from the Leica forum)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    It's not strange: you have a vertical misalignment of the rangefinder. It happens. Fixinf it requires one to remove the red dot on the front of the camera and the turn (with a special tool) one screw such that the two images align correctly. It can be done by yourself or by a Leica repair technician.

    Cheers, Horea
    Leica MP, Leica M9P, Summilux 35/1.4 FLE, Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/feier/ My 500px

  3. #3
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Quote Originally Posted by horosu View Post
    It's not strange: you have a vertical misalignment of the rangefinder. It happens. Fixinf it requires one to remove the red dot on the front of the camera and the turn (with a special tool) one screw such that the two images align correctly. It can be done by yourself or by a Leica repair technician.

    Cheers, Horea
    thanks! sounds like an inexpensive repair.
    peter

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    In case you like to repair things, here is (a copy) of the special tool: http://cgi.ebay.de/Vertical-Line-Foc...t=Film_Cameras

    Kind regards, Horea
    Leica MP, Leica M9P, Summilux 35/1.4 FLE, Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/feier/ My 500px

  5. #5
    Senior Member thrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Hi Horea,

    Thanks for the link, I will probably get one of these as I'm very handy. I fixed the front-focusing issue with me M9 by adjusting infinity and focus throw. Spare dots are only $20 in Australia.

    Cheers,
    Dan

  6. #6
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    thanks to all, this should solve the problem.
    peter

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Hi Horea,

    Thanks for the link, I will probably get one of these as I'm very handy. I fixed the front-focusing issue with me M9 by adjusting infinity and focus throw. Spare dots are only $20 in Australia.

    Cheers,
    Dan
    If you remove the dot carefully (twist a bit with your thumb and then work it with two toothpicks until it slides off) you can reuse the dot multiple times.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    I would rather send it to Leica.
    I once thought to have fixed a focus issue with Allen key after some time it turned out to not be great and I sent it to Leica.
    You have guarantee anyways. So if you can live some time without the m9 why risk damagig something?

  9. #9
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I would rather send it to Leica.
    I once thought to have fixed a focus issue with Allen key after some time it turned out to not be great and I sent it to Leica.
    You have guarantee anyways. So if you can live some time without the m9 why risk damagig something?
    i am not very confident in my technical-practical skills. it will go to leica as soon as i am back home from india.
    peter

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Peter, make certain that you post some images from your travels. I can't remember if you still have the S2 with you or not ... no matter as it is a part of the world that should represent itself with either systems.

    Kurt

  11. #11
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Peter, make certain that you post some images from your travels. I can't remember if you still have the S2 with you or not ... no matter as it is a part of the world that should represent itself with either systems.

    Kurt
    kurt,
    will do asap. the S2 was used by my better half (some complaints but overall satisfaction with it). off to europe tomorrow,
    peter

  12. #12
    Senior Member thrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    If you remove the dot carefully (twist a bit with your thumb and then work it with two toothpicks until it slides off) you can reuse the dot multiple times.
    I've noticed that, my camera is DIY black dotted.

  13. #13
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Has anyone on this forum used the tool? I need to realign vertically, and I'd prefer not to send the camera off to do that, and be able to do it again in the future as well.

    I've done older RF cameras in the past (IIIF, Canon RF, Mamiya 6), but not an 'M' camera. Is there any magic to the adjustments, or is a (quite mechanically inclined) person going to be OK with the effort?

    Thanks,

    ---Michael


    Quote Originally Posted by horosu View Post
    In case you like to repair things, here is (a copy) of the special tool: http://cgi.ebay.de/Vertical-Line-Foc...t=Film_Cameras

    Kind regards, Horea
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Remove the red dot by wriggling with your thumb and working it with two toothpicks until it slides off. You can see the fork and hole for the tool. Apply a miniscule drop of acetone to the glue holding the fork to soften it. (DONT'T SPILL!!). Insert the tool, aim at a distant object and adjust. Leave a few minutes for the glue to harden. Reapply dot.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

  15. #15
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    Thanks Jaap. I'll pick up one of those. The link above to the ebay listing; is that the only option other than the 'official' tool?


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member jaapv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    250

    Re: M9 rangefinder misalignment

    The tool is extremely simple. It is just a small screwdriver with an excentric extension lug to fit in the hole. Basically you could file down a smallish screwdriver. I don't know the exact dimensions, however.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •