The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To 6-bit code or not

kuau

Workshop Member
So, as I am still learning to use my M9, If I decide to purchase a non coded 50mm lens, I better send it in, or use the sharpie?
How long does DAG usually take?

Steven

A

a_summarita

How long does DAG usually take?
Long. :)

He quoted me 1 month for my Canon .95 conversion and it is still with him after 3. I think when he says '3 weeks to do the coding' it actually means 'when I get the time to finally start working on it, it will take 3 weeks.'

Don't get me wrong; Don is a great guy and the quality of his work needs no further reconfirmation. But he is kinda swarmed right now (always is).

cam

That's only part of my point.
Thomas has it
The real point is that you need to turn off the coding in the menu if you're using non-coded lenses. This is fine with your nice uncoded Nocti, until you put your wonderful 24 'lux on and forget to turn it back on again . . . and have a huge batch of badly damaged photos
huge batch of badly damaged photos??? can you elaborate?

i have exactly one single lens coded. period. and i swap them sometimes, back and forth, and don't always remember to turn on/off the recognition. and i honestly can't tell the difference if i have or haven't.

you warned me that i'd need the UV/IR filters and i did and do -- those do make a difference in clarity, imo. but coding??? really?

(as for knowing which lens -- i make a notation when i import the card what lens i used and that's that. just like film, no big deal. unless you're lazy.)

maybe i don't notice because most of my photos are destined for b/w? maybe because i don't have one of the fancy-dancy new lenses where it makes a difference? maybe because my C1 profiles (Jamie Roberts) are so good?

jdavidr

I hand-coded the following lenses with a dremel myself:
CV35 1.4
summicron 50mm
summilux 75mm
tele-elmarit thin 90mm

I took my time, and the whole job was about 2-3 hours including marking, drilling, testing, and cleaning up. The results aren't as pretty as having it done professionally (especially the 75/1.4 -- the mark overlaps a screw and it really looks like a hatchet job), but they all register perfectly and consistently.

Resale value was of no concern as I have no intentions of ever selling these lenses. :D That said, the 50/1.0 I recently bought used was already coded. This is the one lens that I would have considered sending in.

ramosa

i favor having coded lenses for current use--and it seems to help resale quite a bit. the problem for me would be NOT wanting to send a lens off to get it coded. i fear it'd take a long time ...