The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking about experimenting with film

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I'm thinking about experimenting with a Leica film camera. I haven't shot film since the early 90's, and things have changed. I have a few questions;

How do you convert to digital for PP and printing? Do you have to buy a scanner or can you send it out? A darkroom is not an option for me.

What film are you using for color, B&W? Where are you buying it?

What L camera can a guy find at a resonable price?

Thanks in advance.

hdrmd

MW: I have an old M2 that I still use on occasion. I use Velvia which you can still purchase from B&H. I still have a darkroom and I have a scanner, which makes it easy for me. I surely do not where to buy a cheap old Leica M camera. Good luck; it is fun to still see chromes n the light table. DR

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike:

IMO there are two relatively inexpensive yet excellent scanner options, the Minolta 5400II and the Nikon 5000. Either of these is capable of generating scans that rival a good drum and can be found used for $500 - $750.

As for the camera, the current Leica MP is IMO the pinnacle of mechanical engineering in a camera, solidly built and a pure joy to own and use -- but it is relatively expensive at $2500 or so used. An older M6 classic should be around $1000; an M3 SINGLE stroke is another superbly built camera, no internal meter but often sold with an external for around $750.

Cheers,

bradhusick

I too got the bug to shoot film along side my M8s and did just that at the GetDPI San Juan Puerto Rico trip. It was a pleasure shooting my MP with the Leicavit all held in the lovely Luigi case. Jack is right about that! I got the film developed locally and just looked at the prints. I am really happy with the results, and as soon as I get a Nikon Coolscan 5000 I will be scanning the negs. I chose Fujicolor Press 400 for the lower light times of day. Contrary to my prior belief, you can still buy all the film you need ;)

I think one of the board members is selling Jack's former MP - you might want to check it out. One advantage - there's no magnification factor, so your wides are truly wide.

-Brad