Site Sponsors

Thread: Thinking about experimenting with film

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thinking about experimenting with film

I'm thinking about experimenting with a Leica film camera. I haven't shot film since the early 90's, and things have changed. I have a few questions;

How do you convert to digital for PP and printing? Do you have to buy a scanner or can you send it out? A darkroom is not an option for me.

What film are you using for color, B&W? Where are you buying it?

What L camera can a guy find at a resonable price?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thinking about experimenting with film

MW: I have an old M2 that I still use on occasion. I use Velvia which you can still purchase from B&H. I still have a darkroom and I have a scanner, which makes it easy for me. I surely do not where to buy a cheap old Leica M camera. Good luck; it is fun to still see chromes n the light table. DR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mike:

IMO there are two relatively inexpensive yet excellent scanner options, the Minolta 5400II and the Nikon 5000. Either of these is capable of generating scans that rival a good drum and can be found used for $500 - $750.

As for the camera, the current Leica MP is IMO the pinnacle of mechanical engineering in a camera, solidly built and a pure joy to own and use -- but it is relatively expensive at $2500 or so used. An older M6 classic should be around $1000; an M3 SINGLE stroke is another superbly built camera, no internal meter but often sold with an external for around $750.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I too got the bug to shoot film along side my M8s and did just that at the GetDPI San Juan Puerto Rico trip. It was a pleasure shooting my MP with the Leicavit all held in the lovely Luigi case. Jack is right about that! I got the film developed locally and just looked at the prints. I am really happy with the results, and as soon as I get a Nikon Coolscan 5000 I will be scanning the negs. I chose Fujicolor Press 400 for the lower light times of day. Contrary to my prior belief, you can still buy all the film you need

I think one of the board members is selling Jack's former MP - you might want to check it out. One advantage - there's no magnification factor, so your wides are truly wide.

-Brad