The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dirt on X1 sensor ?

grappa

I thought this could not happen,but here is a crop from my new X1. This black spot appears on all photos taken with the camera unless it falls on a dark area.
Now instead of removing the lens and cleaning the sensor,like I have done many times with my dslr's, I am stuck without the camera while I hope and wait for Leica to repair it.

Last edited:
Can you determine - from review of photos - when the spot occurred? In other words, did it come from the factory with a dirt spot or did it occur after use? In theory it should not occur from use.

jdavidr

A fair amount of my photography happens during off-road motorcycle adventures. Think dusty, muddy, wet, extreme conditions. What you see in your photo has happened to every single retractable-lens P&S camera I've owned in the last decade. My solution has been to move to a sensor-accessible & cleanable M9, along with a sealed, fixed lens shock-proof dust-proof, water-proof camera for the really adverse conditions (currently using a Lumix DMC-TS2). Of course, you give up image quality and RAW capability with the sealed P&S, but image quality takes a hit with a big black goombah on every shot too.

This is also the reason I chose the Canon S95 over the Lumix LX5 -- I want RAW in a P&S pocketable camera, but I can't justify the extra cost of the LX5 even though it arguably has a bit higher image quality, since I know that eventually either cameras will have to go in to the shop to get the dust cleaned out.

I'm in NYC and have given PhotoTech plenty of business cleaning fuji, olympus, and canon P&S lenses & sensors over the years. They'll take it in under warranty, but if it looks like it's been exposed to extreme dust (they'll know when they take it apart), they charge for the cleaning. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes: If I had to guess, Leica repair will treat the issue the same.

good luck.

grappa

Maybe retractable lens cameras are not that hot. I have never liked the process of waiting for the lens to move. Now I realize they have a very big downfall. I am going to steer clear of them from now on unless I can find a good,quick,reliable cleaning service.

Paratom

Even with my waterproff and shockproof Panasonic FT1 I had dust in the sensor and had to send it in.

E

efix

This is also the reason I chose the Canon S95 over the Lumix LX5 -- I want RAW in a P&S pocketable camera, but I can't justify the extra cost of the LX5 even though it arguably has a bit higher image quality, since I know that eventually either cameras will have to go in to the shop to get the dust cleaned out.
Off-topic and sorry for hijacking this thread - I've just seen some STUNNING captures taken with an S90 in various lighting conditions, they were PERFECT ooc. Just a question of how you adjust your settings, really. And how good the JPEG engine is.