The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 faulty release

J

jifjif

My M9 is acting up.

When I press to shoot, the sound seems like its half releasing (not a full release and close). The image comes out black.

Anyone had this issue?

Firmware already upgraded.

Knorp

My M9 is acting up.

When I press to shoot, the sound seems like its half releasing (not a full release and close). The image comes out black.

Anyone had this issue?

Firmware already upgraded.
Yep, it happens every so often with mine. You can hear immediately something is amiss. To me it sounds as if the shutter blades don't open and you hear only the recocking (if that's possible at all). It's very odd as all the image information is there: shutterspeed, iso, aperture, lens, image name, et cetera, et cetera: but it's just black. I think, and I can't explain why, it's a faulty shutter button mechanism: as if there is some sort of short circuit. I know it's a little far-fetched, but I can't describe it otherwise. Anyway, after the M9's holiday to Wales it goes straight to Solms ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

J

jifjif

Same here. I have been planning for this for quite a while and 2 weeks before it, this starts to happen.

Thanks for sharing

D&A

I described this exact same thing happening with an aquantences M9 and posted this in another forum quite a fw months ago. Although random in occurance, I could often provoke it (not intential) in his camera by firing quite a few consecutive single shots fired one after the other while the camera was in single shot mode (firing multiple shots in this mode of same subject). We elminated the possibility of low battery, not pressing the shutter firmly anmd a host of other possible variables. It sounds like once the shutter button is pressed, you hear a soft click but no whirl of the recocking mechanism...almost like if one was in decrte mode but when you let go of the shutter button after firing, nothing else is heard (except camera is not in decrete mode). A black (blank) image comes up on his LCD screen. It's like something in the shutter mechanism or some sort of mechanical linkage is slipping ...again akin to firing the camera in descrete mode but after firing, no recoking of shutter sound (the whirl) is heard).

This may be a long shot, but I wonder if if like the cracked sensor M9 issue which seems to be clustered around early serial #'s...as to whether those that experieced the above, also have earlier serial # cameras and Leica addresses these issues after a time when receiving mutliple reports of cameras having an issue. Just a thought. The aquantence who's camera it is, hasn't sent it in as of this date.

Dave (D&A)

J

jifjif

Thats a good question. I lent the camera to my friend to see if he would experience the same thing.

It is exactly as you described. Sad thing is that this is starting to happen a week and a half right before my trip.