Site Sponsors

Thread: 75 Cron Performance

Post Thanks / Like

75 Cron Performance

Hi All,

I am recently back from a holiday and as I was going through my shots I was, once again stunned by the detail this lens picks up. I have had it for approaching a year now and it still surprises me.

Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 75 Cron Performance

HI Ed
    I couldn't agree more - my favorite lens by some margin - I also love the fact that it focuses closer than anything except the 90 macro.

Wonderful lens.

Just this guy you know

SAKIIMAGES

Hey ecliffordsmith I'd like to see some more examples if your able to post them. I have a 75 1.4 Lux on hold and trying to determine if I go with that (as I do like the way it draws) or the Cron. I do know the cron is technicaly more capable, but I like the 1.4 f stop on the lux.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Here are a few more examples from this lens that I think demonstrate its character. It truly is bastard sharp.

Good luck with your decision, you will win either of course!

SAKIIMAGES

Man this is a gem of a lens. Thanks for the quick response. I guess it will be a difficult choice but I am sure your right either or will be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

me again, here are a few more ...

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in as a fan as well, although I don't currently own one (long story!).

K3N

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Count me in as a fan as well, although I don't currently own one (long story!).

This photo really shows how sweet that lens is.

SAKIIMAGES

Your making my decision harder... best not ask 35mm Summilux vs Cron discussion. I think I may need to get a loan.

I like the cron, but concerned about the f2 rather than f1.4. I do like shooting in low light and available light.

Here is an example of the 75 Lux I have put a deposit on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2505795048/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

check out the "bokeh" thread -- there are several lovely images from the 75 Cron to make your decision even harder.

i think the example you posted on flickr, however, is gorgeous! i love the draw as well (at heart a Lux girl, i guess). very different look from the Cron... i'm still very new this all (having just gotten an Epson R-D1 not an M8 and a new obsession for glass), but i've found that you can ask everybody in the world about various lens and it comes down to how it feels in your hands, on your images, with your camera, etc.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    I'll see if I can make your decision still more difficult!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am one of the crazy people who has both the lux and cron...I got the lux back when a mint one was 1500 dollars, and then the cron not long after it came out. They are both absolutely superb. It really comes down to what you want to use them for. They differ in look wide open more than in any other way. If you are interested in a consistent look of strong sharpness and contrast across the frame at all apertures, get the summicron. If you are looking for that at from f/2.8 and above, but want the speed of 1.4 and a softer look from 2.5 to 1.4, then get the summilux. Above 2.8, the summicron and summilux look very similar. At 1.4 to f/2, the summilux has a different look -- there is some spherical aberration that makes the highlights glow, the edges slightly fuzzy and the overall look quite dream-like.

So if you just want a lens that is compact, easy to handle and extremely sharp at every aperture, get the summicron. If you want a lens that changes looks from dreamlike to extremely sharp depending on aperture and you don't care about the size and weight then get the summilux.

Basically, I think the 75mm summilux takes the most beautiful photos in the M system, but the 75mm f/2 takes the most technically perfect.

75mm summilux:

75mm summicron:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well summed up Stuart - and great photos.
    I think it's important not to allow people to think of the 75 'cron as 'clinical' - it's accurate and sharp, sure, but it has a lovely gentle bokeh, and as an added bonus it focuses very close - giving a larger magnification ratio of any of the leica lenses except the 90 macro elmarit.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree, it is not clinical, but it will demonstrate exceedingly fine detail at the focal point, so if you want to hide wrinkles and so on, get a softar.The summilux will blur these details very slightly at f/1.4, particularly up close. My biggest surprise with it was the bokeh -- it is very nice and not harsh in any way, unlike some of the other asph lenses.

Still, if I had to have only one of them, it would be the summilux without a moment's hesitation. It is more versatile and has a special something that is hard to define.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    has a special something that is hard to define.
    = Mandler

The Lux portrait is wonderful Stuart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Charles...I suspect that you are right about the Mandler thing. I believe he did the 100mm APO elmarit R as well...and the 50/1.4 asph, and the noctilux...the man knew what he was doing.

As for the portrait....well, sometimes the briefest sparks are the ones that burn most brightly...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well since my 75 cron is a very new addition to my bag ( I was the beneficiary of the MF insanity going on) I don't have much yet. However, I did like this one I posted in the San Juan thread:

Attachment 5138

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man, what a sweet lens!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

SAKIIMAGES

All you have provided some great images and insight. I tend to agree with cam in what was said "it comes down to how it feels in your hands, on your images, with your camera, etc..." I love the images on the Cron but I do love the softness which can be achieved with the Lux and the f1.4 option. It also does feel great in my hands on the M8, heavy yes but balanced in my view.

If money was no option I think I'd have the cron as well.... I do have the 28mm Cron and that is such a fine lens and it seems the Cron's across the range are great lenses.