The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 2nd M8 body?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
With a trip to rual Russia coming up in July I have been warned that I should purchase a second M8 body for a spare. I think that is good advice since there won't be any second chances but I won't need the second body when I return and the 5K or so is kinda painful......so my options are;
Buy a new one and sell it when I return. 75 cents on the dollar (CameraWest).
Find a used one, sell it when I return, hopefully in adjustment, good option but most used ones are close in price to new ones.
Rent one???? Who does this service? I would assume some kind of insurance as well, I like this option but I haven't seen this advertised.
Take a chance with the one I got....
What say ye?

M

matmcdermott

With a trip to rual Russia coming up in July I have been warned that I should purchase a second M8 body for a spare. I think that is good advice since there won't be any second chances but I won't need the second body when I return and the 5K or so is kinda painful......so my options are;
Buy a new one and sell it when I return. 75 cents on the dollar (CameraWest).
Find a used one, sell it when I return, hopefully in adjustment, good option but most used ones are close in price to new ones.
Rent one???? Who does this service? I would assume some kind of insurance as well, I like this option but I haven't seen this advertised.
Take a chance with the one I got....
What say ye?
At least in NYC used/demo bodies are about $1000 less than new; that may be a better option than you think. Check around. Photovillage in NYC rents M8s at $350 a week. Don't know what their insurance requirements are, they may simply put a hold on your credit card for the purchase price.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Buy either new or quality used and I bet you end up keeping two of them on hand permanently :D

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Once you try shooting with 2 bodies ..you may not want to go back. You can buy a demo for about $4200 and would lose less than on a new one if you decide to resell it. If I was going to Russia I would also have a decent point and shoot that shots in raw as a further back up and maybe for uses when 2 M8s might not be appropriate.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Once you try shooting with 2 bodies ..you may not want to go back. You can buy a demo for about $4200 and would lose less than on a new one if you decide to resell it. If I was going to Russia I would also have a decent point and shoot that shots in raw as a further back up and maybe for uses when 2 M8s might not be appropriate.
I'm taking my GRDII as well......I just bought a used M8 body, so I'm in with both feet.:rolleyes:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Mike I went through this a few times over the past year making trips to europe. I studied how the photojournalists do it when going to war zones or remote locations. Redundancy is the key , followed by a well planned fall back strategy. Couple of things I learned.....(1) electricity is the weakest element ....number one devise failure ..the Apple MacBook power cord! Best advice ..carry an electrical power strip...only one converter needed and no risk of a power surge. (2) visit the PacSafe website...great products to secure your gear in a hotel room or in a bag storage area (3) look at the Filson Travel Vest ...lays flat not showy ..but has 2 large front pockets big enough for an M8 and a lens. You can stuff an M8 with lens in with one hand and quickly. (4) learn to work without a bag. (5) maintain your discipline in downloading,backing up and recharging every night . I am envious of your trip it should be great for photography.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Stop this now!!! I keep thinking I could use a back up in chrome (love the look of my chrome m4).

But I must wait on what Canon does for the 5D replacement.

charlesphoto

May I recommend a used M6 body? Can be found for about $1000. Stuff about 50 rolls of film in a bag (lets say at $4/roll that's $200) and hope for the best. You are now looking at around $1200 vs $4200 and you can probably get the same back on the M6 if you sell (maybe take a hit of $100). Of course the film will need processing, but the idea is that your M8 will be fine and the film and camera is just insurance. At least with the M6 along you won't be stuck with a bag full of lenses if something does happen and can continue to shoot in the M fashion.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing for a month in Europe this July. I won't be away from major cities so may not even bring film with but will have my M7 in a very small penguin case just in case and can buy film on the fly. Cross fingers not needed.

I also suggest Hyperdrive or Nexto portable hard drive downloaders. You can pick up for about $200-$300 each (depending on size and model). I recommend two of the cheaper models (for redundancy vs bling) in 120-160gb size. More portable with generally more storage room than a laptop, esp if you don't need or don't want the hassle of a laptop. That way you can also store them in seperate bags, etc. Don't put everything on a laptop and then have it stolen or fail.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guys those are good tips. Heres what I've planned so far;
I am taking my PowerBook Pro along with a surge strip (power surges all of the time there), (2) external 160GB hard drives, (18) 2GB SD cards, (2) M8 battery chargers, (4) Leica batteries, 24D flash, extra batteries for flash, (2) M8 bodies, 21, 28,cron, 35Lux, 50Lux, 90 elmarit, GRDII with two batteries, light weight Gitzo tripod (charlesphoto, I need to order one of these). I plan to have backups on the hard drives (2), laptop, and SD cards each will be in a different piece of luggage between my son and I. Glen the vest tip is a good one I haven't thought of that or the laptop power cord. I will be staying a couples house, no motels around, dirt roads and chickens. The location is 10 hours south of Moscow on the Belarus border. I feel better now that I have two M8 bodies. Now all I need to borrow is some talent :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Guys those are good tips. Heres what I've planned so far;
I am taking my PowerBook Pro along with a surge strip (power surges all of the time there), (2) external 160GB hard drives, (18) 2GB SD cards, (2) M8 battery chargers, (4) Leica batteries, 24D flash, extra batteries for flash, (2) M8 bodies, 21, 28,cron, 35Lux, 50Lux, 90 elmarit, GRDII with two batteries, light weight Gitzo tripod (charlesphoto, I need to order one of these). I plan to have backups on the hard drives (2), laptop, and SD cards each will be in a different piece of luggage between my son and I. Glen the vest tip is a good one I haven't thought of that or the laptop power cord. I will be staying a couples house, no motels around, dirt roads and chickens. The location is 10 hours south of Moscow on the Belarus border. I feel better now that I have two M8 bodies. Now all I need to borrow is some talent :)
Mike I think you have this surrounded !!:thumbup: Only suggestion might be more M8 batteries. You have to decide on how to use your juice. Setting the M8 to shut down when not in use is a must ..but how often. I have used 10 minutes but recently went to 5 minutes . Its frustrating missing shots while the camera wakes up..but if its on all the time you significantly cut down on your captures per charge. For example say you are out in the morning shooting for 3 hours and you capture maybe 200-300 images on 2 cameras. I would want fresh battteries for an afternoon shoot. No time to charge up the mornings batteries. This killed me on my trip to Rome. I had to use up the battery before changing which meant I always lost few images when it died. I try to have 6 batteries now and hope to always have 2 fresh ones as backups. I know this is never recommended but I might even buy another 4-6 of those cheap batteries on ebay . When I discussed this with other M8 owners the difference seems to be how long you are out shooting...as its a combination of captures and the time the camera is on. Have you found a lightweight power strip ..thats what I am looking for.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Mike I think you have this surrounded !!:thumbup: Only suggestion might be more M8 batteries. You have to decide on how to use your juice. Setting the M8 to shut down when not in use is a must ..but how often. I have used 10 minutes but recently went to 5 minutes . Its frustrating missing shots while the camera wakes up..but if its on all the time you significantly cut down on your captures per charge. For example say you are out in the morning shooting for 3 hours and you capture maybe 200-300 images on 2 cameras. I would want fresh battteries for an afternoon shoot. No time to charge up the mornings batteries. This killed me on my trip to Rome. I had to use up the battery before changing which meant I always lost few images when it died. I try to have 6 batteries now and hope to always have 2 fresh ones as backups. I know this is never recommended but I might even buy another 4-6 of those cheap batteries on ebay . When I discussed this with other M8 owners the difference seems to be how long you are out shooting...as its a combination of captures and the time the camera is on. Have you found a lightweight power strip ..thats what I am looking for.
Guy, Yes a workshop is very much in order especially when I return and have to PP all of these images. :)

Glen, your right I need at least two more batteries. I will set my snooze at 5 min to begin with, if that become problematic (missed shots) I'll increase it. I got my surge protector at best buy..I'll post the name when I get home.

neils

A little OT here, what do you guys use and like for power convertors when traveling out of the US?

Anyone ever seen a charger to charge a MB Pro from a car lighter? I guess any 12-120V invertor would do.

Neil

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Glen, The surge protector name is Dynex, it cost a little more but I understand its worth it.
Neil, I have a converter you plug it into your cig lighter and it powers a converter to AC..It looks like a surge protector.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Mike,

Have you considered getting a DSLR to compliment the M8? If a second M8 it is though I think a good condition second hand body would be the best way to go.

Have a great trip!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Hi Ed, I had a 5D before and sold it for the the M system. For this particular shoot I want to use M images with the exception of the GRDII however those will be "extra" and separate from the M gallery. Also I'm afraid if I start using the new DSLR's I might switch back... I like the P mode :)