The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X1 has new competition

sven

This is not a Leica camera but surely the camera is aimed at "Leicaisque" photographers. This should give the X1 some serious competition.

This is the new camera released by Fuji. It is a 35mm f/2 fixed focal length cam with all the other Fuji goodies. Check out the link http://www.finepix-x100.com/

Svenjosh

mathomas

Interesting. You gotta love the name.

And they've gone for really retro design, with chrome and leatherette, and all the right design cues (way beyond the Oly Pen, IMO), and with the built-in flash in the chrome section, it looks like an old-school rangefinder with a built-in non-TTL meter. They've also put the controls in the right places. Pretty darn interesting, especially with the f/2 lens (I really don't understand why Leica didn't put a true summicron in the X1).

Thanks for posting...

sven

Sure it has all the right cues. Every other fixed focal length camera including the likes of Sigma DP series up to Leica X1 has been plagued by focus issues. They neither Auto focus fast nor is manual focus easily accomplished due to their design. Hope this one breaks the trend. The Hybrid EVF specs with 1440000 dots is encouraging for manual focus and I am very interested to see how it performs.

Maybe this will push Leica to the introduce the X2 will have the summicron f/2 with fast AF.

Sven josh

mathomas

Here's the comment I left on the Fuji site:

"Wow. If this camera performs at a level commensurate with its looks, specs, and features, Fuji is going to have a huge winner on its hands. I can see it being popular with the Leica folks (such as myself), as an alternative to the X1, and possibly even the M8/9."

Terry

Sure it has all the right cues. Every other fixed focal length camera including the likes of Sigma DP series up to Leica X1 has been plagued by focus issues. They neither Auto focus fast nor is manual focus easily accomplished due to their design. Hope this one breaks the trend. The Hybrid EVF specs with 1440000 dots is encouraging for manual focus and I am very interested to see how it performs.

Maybe this will push Leica to the introduce the X2 will have the summicron f/2 with fast AF.

Sven josh
That is because none of the APS-c sized sensors had fast readout from the sensor for CDAF. The sensor Sony developed for the NEX changed that.

mathomas

Yeah, the slow autofocus performance has turned me off to the X1, though I like just about everything else about it. I really hope Fuji has nailed the focus thing. There is knurling on the lens that looks as if it could be a focus ring (as the aperture has a couple of "grips"). If they've added a true mechanical, manual focus they have really hit the ball out of the park provided the IQ is good (I'm almost certain to buy one). However, I don't see anything on the site, so far (it's very slow) about manual focus, so I'm assuming, for now, it will be sub-optimal in practice (trying not to get my hopes up :)).

sven

That is because none of the APS-c sized sensors had fast readout from the sensor for CDAF. The sensor Sony developed for the NEX changed that.
Oh.... This should be good then provided Fuji has the same technology or at least got it from Sony.

Only the Panasonic GF1 seems to have got the AF sorted and has decent MF options, but it does not have good EVF and for me personally it is difficult to manual focus holding the camera at a distance and watching the LCD.

Hope the X100 is at least on par with Sony and Panasonic.

Sure it seems the site is crashed..... Too many hits?

Svenjosh

sven

The specs look great, the hybrid viewfinder is very interesting. Also 5FPS, whoa... Hope it has a decent buffer for all the sports shooters out there. Lol, just kidding, but it sure has 5 FPS

Svenjosh

helenhill

well I WANT one....its the only digi that Interests me and may bring me back to
the digital realm

Love the fact it is a fixed lens....35 is cool
since on Film I only shoot 50's
Would be easy to Carry with my Barnack/IIIf Rd....:D

This looks like a great little camera with some innovative features. I hope it performs as good as it looks. One spec (other than the viewfinder) that I found interesting is the "built-in 3 stop ND filter".

Terry

This looks like a great little camera with some innovative features. I hope it performs as good as it looks. One spec (other than the viewfinder) that I found interesting is the "built-in 3 stop ND filter".
I was just going to write about that. Seriously excellent for shooting wide open outdoors. Just a great added feature.

barjohn

I plan to get my order in as soon as one can. If the interest reflected on their web site by its crashing is any indication this will be a hot product. X1's will depreciate very fast with a real competitor offering the things Leica should have offered. It seems to me more like an updated CL (sans interchangeable lenses) than the X1 or any other camera. Sony better get some good lenses to market fast or the NEX will be forgotten by the serious user.