Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leica M9 Titanium

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica M9 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Thank God they are only making 500 of them...
    500 x 22000 = 11 000 000

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono....Re: Leica M9 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Why does everybody get so grumpy about these limited editions Leica do?
    They're for collectors - and they make Leica lots of money (otherwise why do them?) - it's not going to slow down R&D on the products we do want (quite the contrary, it'll provide funds for them).
    Jono, maybe it's because this is the one thing Leica does that keeps the stereotypical view of a Leica owner as being rich and out of touch. I continue to believe that a digital CL would bring in much more cash (and be better for Leica's image) than these overpriced collector's items.

If you think about it, so far... Leica really has brought nothing to the table at Photokina. No real products. The products they did bring were re-badged Panasonic cameras with the appropriate boost in price for the addition of the red dot and an outrageous (and ugly) version of the M9. My guess is there is no Titanium in the camera at all.. just the name of the color scheme.

Oh.. and speaking of colors Leica also has offered a tweaked X1 in black. So everything Leica is offering is nothing more than cosmetics.... smoke and mirrors.

I guess many of us expected, hoped and wished for something more.

Have a great time in Crete.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have no issues with these limited edition hermes leicas or titan ones.. I question their timing of release and as the main event for them at photokina.. " this is what we are about" statement. I always believed they should aim for the top 10% of the market catering to building quality equipment but these limited editions have always been targeted to the top .01 percent and add little besides decorative value..a concept 95% of that top 10% find superfluous at best. Also I would have expected photokina to be the place to announce anywork or progress on the r glass solution.. I have not heard anything addressing this since last year. "Fish or cut bait"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    I have no issues with these limited edition hermes leicas or titan ones.. I question their timing of release and as the main event for them at photokina.. " this is what we are about" statement. I always believed they should aim for the top 10% of the market catering to building quality equipment but these limited editions have always been targeted to the top .01 percent and add little besides decorative value..a concept 95% of that top 10% find superfluous at best. Also I would have expected photokina to be the place to announce anywork or progress on the r glass solution.. I have not heard anything addressing this since last year. "Fish or cut bait"
    very good analysis. the fotokina is the event where companies want to position themselves presenting their engineering achievements and not their life style gadgets. also BMW and mercedes-benz produce watches, ostrich leather gearshift covers and other life style stuff but they do not call for press conferences and fanfare to present them. they use the big events for presenting new automobile technology. so, as far as leica is concerned, what shall we believe now? that their main engineering work has gone into the titanium M9? nothing else to show? i have been waiting patiently for the S 120mm lens, the S 24mm lens , the S zoom etc.....and they produce a titanium M9 instead? clearly, this does not drain on the same resources, but still....... very poor marketing.
    suffices to say that the average leica fan fotokina visitor is totally underwhelmed and medvedew would have bought it also without the press conference. pretty ridiculous show.
    very disappointing.
    so from now on we can classify leica as the glamorous photo-life-style-gadget company. i am curious what the serious engineers in the company think about this.
    peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Thank God they are only making 500 of them...
    Only 500?! Are they going to limit one per household?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I can't even say anything.
    That is a first!
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm being a good boy but lets just say extremely disappointed when they have real work to get done and customers to answer too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the bandolier...

I like the bandolier...

Let's hope Luigi makes a copy for the rest of us!! It would be easy to remove the camera from it with a simple grip or grip case on it.
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm being a good boy but lets just say extremely disappointed when they have real work to get done and customers to answer too.
    Guy. I don't think you need to get too worked up about this...

Remember that Leica does have a small number of extremely rich customers who have very poor taste...

Think Sultan of Brunei - the oil-rich billionaire - who has already bought literally hundreds(!) of gold or platinum-plated Leicas with special engravings (usually the 'Pingi pingi' - the Brunei coat of arms). Which he dishes out as presents to favoured friends and acquaintances. The titanium M9 is just the sort of thing that would appeal to him and middle-eastern sheikhs with a similar mind set.

Why shouldn't Leica supply this market? It's a nice little earner, to put it mildly.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I like it except for the "bumper-car" hand-strap.
    And
    The bandoleer, for this market, might have been better to design a shoulder-holster
    But this is all whimsy and fantasy for me since personally I spend my camera cash on more "working" stuff.
    I have no criticism for Leica at all in making these special edition goodies. My family history includes several generations of armorers going back to before the battle of Hastings. There were always those who bought heavily decorated engraved and inlaid "special editions" of all sorts of weaponry. It helped pay the bills.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a knot.

MF digital gear has depreciated by MORE than the cost of this M9 - over the last two years. A lot of cars depreciate by more than this p.a.

wot are you all competing for the best slag off of Leica in here?

as for development - check out the range if luxes released over the last year. NO OTHER company can compete with the rapid fire release of revolutionary lenses for 35mm that Leica has put out over the last 12 months.

you all should go and have a nice cup of tea and a nice lie down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a knot.
    I won't speak for others, but as I sit here untangling my knickers I am disappointed not to see some sort of advance in focusing (focus confirmation at least) and LCD upgrade. And (cough)high ISO(cough).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post

Remember that Leica does have a small number of extremely rich customers who have very poor taste...

Think Sultan of Brunei - the oil-rich billionaire - who has already bought literally hundreds(!) of gold or platinum-plated Leicas with special engravings (usually the 'Pingi pingi' - the Brunei coat of arms). Which he dishes out as presents to favoured friends and acquaintances. The titanium M9 is just the sort of thing that would appeal to him and middle-eastern sheikhs with a similar mind set.

Why shouldn't Leica supply this market? It's a nice little earner, to put it personalmildly.
    I understand but working on the S2 and fully getting the system fully to market is been way to slow a process. Bring the M9 to speed with the LED itself in a form of a M9.2 would have been a good idea plus other things as well. All this takes people and resources and if your even putting 20 people on the Ti than that is 20 less people working on real product customer needs. Also lets face it the price is embarrassing as a company. But again like any other OEM I care about the industry of people that actually work and enjoy shooting. The collector thing to ME is a completely side issue when nothing else is going on and what company needs are. At least that is how I would run a company. But my knickers are certainly not twisted but thought Leica actually learned some lessons along the way . I also completely agree with building brand loyalty and some exclusivity as well but this company has real needs also that are not being addressed in a timely fashion. And I will just leave it at that with no further comment.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate to disagree with the outrage, but I think this whole ruckus misconstrues what Leica's done. They've built many of these collector cameras, often ugly ones (remember the white M8?), but I don't see how their doing so impacts the real cameras they make. It was designed by some guy from VW, and likely required little work by Leica engineers. The return for that work certainly justifies the expense, as the cameras will sell out to the sort of collectors who covet such things.

It would be nice if Leica's real products were as fully realized as their collector cams, but maybe they don't have to worry about function in the collector models, as they don't get used. If you don't want to pay a red dot premium for a rebadged Panny, buy the Panny.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I hate to disagree with the outrage, but I think this whole ruckus misconstrues what Leica's done. They've built many of these collector cameras, often ugly ones (remember the white M8?), but I don't see how their doing so impacts the real cameras they make. It was designed by some guy from VW, and likely required little work by Leica engineers. The return for that work certainly justifies the expense, as the cameras will sell out to the sort of collectors who covet such things.
    +1

to repeat- Leica was brilliant!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just hope they are able to do these "money generator" cosmetic products in parallel with real R&D that benefits photographers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing new here - Leica has been doing fancy limited issues for a long time - more than thirty years - actually since 1930:

Gold R4

Gold M3

Gold R3

More gold Leicas

So let's not get fussed about this.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

>>>> "only that kind of opulent people who drink champagne with their hamburgers just because its expensive"<<<<

I was actually just sitting here drinking champagne and having my hamdburger and noticed that the plain jane M9 didn't quite look the part

Well at least this should solve one problem...no more of the "Gray Color" M9 finishes getting scratched so easily. Thats one way to solve the issue!

I truly hope that it was a more of a design exercise (and a PR move too) so that whatever most find useful in this M9T, eventually finds its way into regular production cameras.

Oh, need to know quickly before placing an order...will it be available in "black" Ti finish too??

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I like the bandolier...

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I like the bandolier...

Let's hope Luigi makes a copy for the rest of us!! It would be easy to remove the camera from it with a simple grip or grip case on it.
    Well, any local upholsterer or the like should be able to make one. Then, combine it with the Sling and go out shooting (I did use the Sling for years with my Digilux 2; dont have the nerve to try it with the M9).

It will be substantially cheaper than the Ti....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well I like the knickers riding all bunched up, so I will continue onto the S..
    I am happy that the m9 has saved the day for leica but it is time to put some more manpower in getting the S2 up to speed on the lens front.. it was photokina 08 that the S2 was announced with those black and lucite cylinders displayed before our eyes.. 2 years and not one cs lens, not even the 70.. I have been a supporter of their effort for, let me repeat, 2 years, but still no 120mm.. yes I know, there exists one in germany for testing..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Jono....Re: Leica M9 Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post

If you think about it, so far... Leica really has brought nothing to the table at Photokina. No real products. The products they did bring were re-badged Panasonic cameras with the appropriate boost in price for the addition of the red dot and an outrageous (and ugly) version of the M9. My guess is there is no Titanium in the camera at all.. just the name of the color
    Hi Jim
    Well. We always disagree on this one. I don't believe that Leica have the resources to produce a 'sensibly priced' CL in sufficient quantities to make a profit, and anyway, the M9 and rhe new expensive lenses) seems to have put them into profit for the first time in many years, whereas nobody much bought the excellent and 'sensibly priced' Summarits.
    As for Photokina; what did you expect? Two new system cameras in two years, plus the X1 seems like a big deal for a small company.
    Added to which, having coughed up for a new M9 less than a year ago I'd be less than overjoyed if it was already replaced.
    The commonly held argument that this kind of bling product holds up R&D seems to me to be patently ludicrous.
    So:
    Significant: NO
    But I still fail to see why it's something to complain about.
    Back to the Retsina!

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's really the perfect camera to take photos of your gold bullion bars or your new Lamborghini Gallardo (or Bugatti Veyron).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    It's really the perfect camera to take photos of your gold bullion bars or your new Lamborghini Gallardo (or Bugatti Veyron).
    Lol I couldn't agree more. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea though.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffwros View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm
    If I were an R-System user I'd be pissed...
    +1
    +2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jim
    -- snip -
    Back to the Retsina!
    +1,
    on second thought one is never enough
    -bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh

"Leica got a little lazy trying to engrave all the numbers in the solid titanium barrel. The depth-of-field scale stops at f/11, even though the lens goes to f/16, and the focus scale is only engraved in meters, not also in feet."

http://kenrockwell.com/leica/m9/titanium.htm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Heh heh

"Leica got a little lazy trying to engrave all the numbers in the solid titanium barrel. The depth-of-field scale stops at f/11, even though the lens goes to f/16, and the focus scale is only engraved in meters, not also in feet."

http://kenrockwell.com/leica/m9/titanium.htm
    Typical Ken Rockwell, I guess he missed the LED part, eh? Rush to be the first to publish I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All of this wailing and gnashing of teeth reminds me of the scene in Young Frankenstein of the local mob trying to run the monster out of town with their pitchforks and torches. M-, R-, S-, 4/3rds, EVIL, and D-Lux shooters all waiting to extract their pound of flesh. Push aside all other projects to get what's best for me.

The upside is that the volume of those even considering Leica has certainly increased over the last year.

tokengirl

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    +2.

I feel pretty confident that this special edition M9 did not slow down the development of new S lenses or better autofocus for the X1 one single bit. Those things will take forever and a day even if they don't put out one single collectors edition anything, because that's just the way it is with Leica.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post

Why shouldn't Leica supply this market? It's a nice little earner, to put it mildly.
    I agree but on the other hand don't announce it at Photokina like it is the kind of big deal that your bread and butter customers are going to thank you for.

Dumb marketing.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I agree but on the other hand don't announce it at Photokina like it is the kind of big deal that your bread and butter customers are going to thank you for.

Dumb marketing.

LouisB
    I think it is far from being dumb marketing. The bottom line is that Leica will be able to quickly add 11,000,000+ Euros gross sales to the bottom line without having to redesign a whole new product and without having to launch a major advertising/marketing campaign to support those 500 units. They should be shouting about it as loud as possible at Photokina to realize those sales. There is not a company that I can think of that values their bottom line that would refuse such an easy win with a product that oozes exclusivity and has such a built-in collector base.

The "bread and butter" Leica customer will gladly watch the feeding frenzy knowing that Leica's major products will continue to be supported by such sales. Perhaps it was some of those limited edition white M8s that were roundly skewered several years ago that funded the unmatched development and release of killer M optics that have been released over the past two years or helped fund the R&D that went into the S2.

There seems to be an insatiable lust for new features on the products that support the lower end of Leica's product lines. I, for one, am happy that Leica is producing those products but am just as happy that they haven't given in to the frantic turnover of new point and shoot, evil, and 4/3rds types of products. I'm afraid that it would distract them from their core product categories (that obviously can't be redesigned every six months by such a small company).

Kurt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they're going to have to sell half the run of the M9 "toy" just to pay for the self-congratulatory dog & pony show they threw yesterday at Photokina. The booze was flowing, and the VIPs aplenty in attendance didn't pay their own way there, you can bet on that.

Sure, they'll make some $$, etc. on this, and I don't fault them on that. And no, they can't come out with a new M every year (and I'm glad they don't), but there's a message of exclusivity and elitism in this announcement that runs very counter to their long-time core constituency, the working photog. (Don't get me wrong, I've been a Leica fanboy for years, shooting Leica since 1968.) Bottom line, I just think this was just the wrong message at the wrong time. The M9 and it's contemporary glass made Leica profitable again, and yet they replace the CEO? I don't know. I'm just troubled by it all on a very fundamental level.

The X100 from Fuji looks promising on paper, and if it performs, and if there are iterations with interchangeable lenses in the future, and at earthly prices, I think Leica may well fighting for its existence yet again. And while we're at it, where are the CS S2 lenses announced two years ago? Like I said, I think it's just the wrong message at the wrong time. The special edition M8s were released quietly, and the collectors still snapped them up. (Personally, I think no Leica camera or lens should be living in shrink wrap in some collection, but "different strokes..."). That might have been a better way to handle this SE as well. Just sayin'... YMMV/

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    I think it is far from being dumb marketing. The bottom line is that Leica will be able to quickly add 11,000,000+ Euros gross sales to the bottom line without having to redesign a whole new product and without having to launch a major advertising/marketing campaign to support those 500 units. They should be shouting about it as loud as possible at Photokina to realize those sales. There is not a company that I can think of that values their bottom line that would refuse such an easy win with a product that oozes exclusivity and has such a built-in collector base.

The "bread and butter" Leica customer will gladly watch the feeding frenzy knowing that Leica's major products will continue to be supported by such sales. Perhaps it was some of those limited edition white M8s that were roundly skewered several years ago that funded the unmatched development and release of killer M optics that have been released over the past two years or helped fund the R&D that went into the S2.

There seems to be an insatiable lust for new features on the products that support the lower end of Leica's product lines. I, for one, am happy that Leica is producing those products but am just as happy that they haven't given in to the frantic turnover of new point and shoot, evil, and 4/3rds types of products. I'm afraid that it would distract them from their core product categories (that obviously can't be redesigned every six months by such a small company).

Kurt
    Last edited by Lloyd; 21st September 2010 at 12:20. Reason: Corrected spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I think they're going to have to sell half the run of the M9 "toy" just to pay for the self-congratulatory dog & pony show they threw yesterday at Photokina. The booze was flowing, and the VIPs aplenty in attendance didn't pay their own way there, you can bet on that.

Sure, they'll make some $$, etc. on this, and I don't fault them on that. And no, they can't come out with a new M every year (and I'm glad they don't), but there's a message of exclusivity and elitism in this announcement that runs very counter to their long-time core constituency, the working photog. (Don't get me wrong, I've been a Leica fanboy for years, shooting Leica since 1968.) Bottom line, I just think this was just the wrong message at the wrong time. The M9 and it's contemporary glass made Leica profitable again, and yet they replace the CEO? I don't know, I'm just troubled by it on a very fundamental level. The X100 from Fuji looks promising on paper, and if it performs, and if there are iterations with interchangeable lenses in the future, and at earthly prices, I think Leica may well fighting for its existence yet again. And where are the CS S2 lenses announced two years ago? Like I said, I think it's just the wrong message at the wrong time. The special edition M8s were released quietly, and the collectors still snapped them up. (Personally, I think no like camera or lens should be living in shrink wrap in some collection, but "different strokes..."). That might have been a better way to handle this SE as well. Just sayin'... YMMV/
    All valid points. But do remember that this is a tradeshow. VIPs in attendance are a must as you entertain and reward your best and most profitable customers and dealers (no matter what year it is and what products you are offering). And, you want to provide the best possible image to the press for favorable coverage. Leica did not have anything else to promote at this edition of Photokina ... so something interesting had to take top billing to demonstrate that Leica is still around and relevant. In this case, it just happened to be the M9Ti. In other years, depending on new product introductions, it will be other products.

Finally (as someone who has been significantly involved in the tradeshow industry for the past 10 years), I can certainly remember how shocked I was to see how different the atmosphere of a European show was to an American show the first time I visited one in Europe. European shows are different (especially through an American filter) ... food and flowing alcohol is the norm. What may be perceived as self-congratulatory and boozy in other parts of the world just may be how others go about their business at every show ... whether it is a food, car, healthcare or camera show.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, and I understand (I've worked trade shows as well, although never in Europe), and agree with that at a certain level. But even if true, I'm even more convinced that they didn't think through the message they convey, and don't even realize how out of touch they are with their "real" consumers. I understand that it was making an event out of a non-event. But a sense of proportion... is that too much to ask?

All valid points. But do remember that this is a tradeshow. VIPs in attendance are a must as you entertain and reward your best and most profitable customers and dealers (no matter what year it is and what products you are offering). And, you want to provide the best possible image to the press for favorable coverage. Leica did not have anything else to promote at this edition of Photokina ... so something interesting had to take top billing to demonstrate that Leica is still around and relevant. In this case, it just happened to be the M9Ti. In other years, depending on new product introductions, it will be other products.

Finally (as someone who has been significantly involved in the tradeshow industry for the past 10 years), I can certainly remember how shocked I was to see how different the atmosphere of a European show was to an American show the first time I visited one in Europe. European shows are different (especially through an American filter) ... food and flowing alcohol is the norm. What may be perceived as self-congratulatory and boozy in other parts of the world just may be how others go about their business at every show ... whether it is a food, car, healthcare or camera show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd, I hear what you are saying. I believe that even though Leica may have the best intentions, anything that they do that caters to their high end customers is going to come off looking as extravagant to their customers that can only afford their entry level products (with the way that their prices continue to rise, that may soon include me).

I, like others here, think that there is a certain amount of hubris that Leica has regarding their relationship with those that purchase their entry level products (heck, this is probably all their customers considering the level of communication that is displayed). Whether or not this intentional, I don't know, but they could certainly use the services of a PR person or agency that thinks with a more global (geographically and demographically) perspective as they look at their messaging. Much of this awkward dance could be avoided with open and clear communication (without revealing too much to the competition).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone wants to order.

Part Number 10715

Leica M9 “Titan” Set comprising of a
    Titanium Leica M9 and Summilux-M
    35mm/f1.4 ASPH Titanium Lens with a
    Titanium Lens Hood

UPC 799429107154

$26,500.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could you send me two via FedEx? I don't think one will hold my boat in place.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    Could you send me two via FedEx? I don't think one will hold my boat in place.

Watch out for John... with two he's gonna be the Leica Bandito!
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said Kurt. Spot on.

Lloyd, I hear what you are saying. I believe that even though Leica may have the best intentions, anything that they do that caters to their high end customers is going to come off looking as extravagant to their customers that can only afford their entry level products (with the way that their prices continue to rise, that may soon include me).

I, like others here, think that there is a certain amount of hubris that Leica has regarding their relationship with those that purchase their entry level products (heck, this is probably all their customers considering the level of communication that is displayed). Whether or not this intentional, I don't know, but they could certainly use the services of a PR person or agency that thinks with a more global (geographically and demographically) perspective as they look at their messaging. Much of this awkward dance could be avoided with open and clear communication (without revealing too much to the competition).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Am I allowed to say the handstrap looks sort of interesting????
    get a Sling -- it's MUCH cheaper: http://www.leicagoodies.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Five View Post
    500 x 22000 = 11 000 000
    Yep
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jim
    Well. We always disagree on this one. I don't believe that Leica have the resources to produce a 'sensibly priced' CL in sufficient quantities to make a profit, and anyway, the M9 and rhe new expensive lenses) seems to have put them into profit for the first time in many years, whereas nobody much bought the excellent and 'sensibly priced' Summarits.
    As for Photokina; what did you expect? Two new system cameras in two years, plus the X1 seems like a big deal for a small company.
    Added to which, having coughed up for a new M9 less than a year ago I'd be less than overjoyed if it was already replaced.
    The commonly held argument that this kind of bling product holds up R&D seems to me to be patently ludicrous.
    So:
    Significant: NO
    But I still fail to see why it's something to complain about.
    Back to the Retsina!
    Jono, yes, we continue to disagree about a digital CL. Had Leica brought that to Photokina at say $2500-$3000 it would have been a show stealer and the M9Ti would probably have been a yawn.

The M9Ti should not have been the centerpiece at Photokina.. it just perpetuates the stereotype of Leica owners having more money than sense. It was a bad time to announce it with nothing else but re badged pannies and a new black look for the X1. Sorry, their PR folks need to connect with the real users a bit more and keep in touch with the collectors via email.

We disagree, Jono but it doesn't mean we can't be friends. All the best to you.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Watch out for John... with two he's gonna be the Leica Bandito!
    Hey brad,

I like the look!
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

popflash is taking orders and they are already on sale !!!
    http://www.popflash.com/leica-digita...10715-usa-new/
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope you got your order in before they are gone.
    V/r John

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I noticed that this version has .... sapphire scratch resistant LCD glass. How about that option for the masses?

Btw, I see Monza is selling at a $3k discount compared to PopFlash which in turn is $5k off list so maybe there's a market here that can be cornered, plus some upside for investors too. (actually I'm not really joking ... )

Post Thanks / Like

This is such a joke. Fuji have introduced a killer CL like product with real innovation that every Leica lover has been asking for since the dawn of digital. Leica introduce yet another yawn fest special edition. I have nothing against Leica making a buck this way but, honestly, they have been way out of touch with general photographers for a long time. I hope this wakes an innovative sleeping giant but somehow I doubt it will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree. This year's Photokina dazzlers are Fuji X100 and Sigma SD1, in my opinion.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the x100 does look very interesting.
    However I dont see it as a "Leica killer" product. It is not as pockable as the x1 plus it is a future camera. A X1 with an external optical viewinder is still smaller than the x100.

On the other side the x100 is not that much smaller than a Leica M9, which offers a huge selection of interchangable lenses and a full frame sensor.
    So its something in between, which might be the answer for some who do want something in between or who do not want to spend that much money (for an M9).
    Again, a great product (the x100), but looking at the products we got from Leica over the last years I think it was clear they could not present another totally new camera this time and for my taste the combo of an M9 with interchngable lenses and a x1 as a light and small camera is more usefull.

What makes me really mad is that Leica is not supplying the long time unofficially announced x1 firmware upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear, I don't think the X100 is a "Leica Killer," especially not an M9 killer, but for the price point that is being reported it is certainly going to be a popular product. I think if the X100's AF lives up to expectations, or even EP1 levels, Leica's next move better be pretty damn good for them to keep asking the kind of money they do for M digital bodies.

On another note, I genuinely like the Leica S2. The new grip and firmware improvements, including very well thought out additions like being able to specify "bulb" lengths in menu, are very welcome. I also like the new focusing screen. Price aside, I hope the S system grows in strength. Add some PC lenses and a 50mm lens and I'd be drooling.