The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 Titanium

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am holding out for the platinum edition with spent uranium frame-lines.
:p
-bob

ashwinrao1

Hilarious, Bob!!!! hahaha..., I'd prefer the adamantium version over titanium, personally...I wonder if 22K buys you waterproofing...hahaha...as for profit margins, someone will clearly buy these 500 units, and they'll sit neatly in collectors shelves. However, I do think that it'd be nice to get some of that tech into people who are actually using the M9 as a photographic tool to see if electronic frame lines are helpfu/useful/etc...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For years, I've been one of those advocating for an LCD-based frameline that would:
1. Shift AND shrink/expand to match focusing distance.
2. Show only the frame of the currently-mounted lens (preview of others in a menu).
3. Not disappear in low light.
That sounds very much like my old Contax G2 ;) (well, ok, not LCD)

I'll give Leica some credit though for giving the body a revamp. The changes seem to be more than just the top plate from what I can see.

We also all know that they'll sell every single one of them :toocool:

paulmoore

this announcement almost makes me glad I only have R lenses to wish a home for.. so glad I did not go down the m route too.. really confused to Leica's gameplan at this point.

wolverine

A brilliant marketing move...

Look at all the spouses justifying a "common" M9 by saying, " I saved $22,000 by not buying the titanium version." Common M9's are going to be even harder to find since the savings will be so great. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's absurd! No way am I getting this with only a 35mm - I want a three lens kit. C'mon Leica offer this with the 28 Cron, 35 Lux, and 50 Lux. Wait, maybe I should go all Lux's 24, 35, 50. Yes, that's the ticket . . . oh but the new 21 might be sweet in Titanium, yes, 21, 35, and 75 - reissue the 75 Lux in Titanium - BRILLIANT! . . . oh but I really like a 50mm on full frame . . . aaarrrggg Dammit Leica . . . wait, I need another espresso to think this through clearly.

Terry

Charlie, wouldn't it just be easier to get the collectors set that includes one of every lens (including all variation chrome/black paint, etc)? now just charge a million a pop with free insured delivery.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: A brilliant marketing move...

Look at all the spouses justifying a "common" M9 by saying, " I saved $22,000 by not buying the titanium version." Common M9's are going to be even harder to find since the savings will be so great. :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
You can save 29,000 by buying just one and sharing it betwen you and your spouse.
-bob

CharlesK

Seriously, Leica development team, :wtf:. Having come on board recently with M9, I don't mind investing in lenses, so long as there is serious development in future M bodies. Really a combo of the M9 and Fuji X100 features is what I would like to see...., but seriously a titanium body? Obviously if there is a market, fine, which but production is limited and already having a hard time supplying the 35 and 50 Lux's, as only ones available are seconds at a premium. :confused:

2x2

I can only shake my head in disbelief about this. What a gaudy display of pomp and circumstance!

One more thing ... regarding that new grip ... in case the owner of www.leicagoodies.com is listening ... maybe it's time for a little chat with your lawyer ... ?

Vlad

I think it is absolutely stunning. Not $28k+ stunning, but stunning nonetheless. If it was just under $10k I'd bite. I am a sucker for titanium ever since I rode my first titan bike 15 years ago.

CharlesK

My initial thoughts aside, it has been great to see, a company like Fuji has listened to photographers, and produced a camera, albeit, with a fixed lens that will raise the levels to what photographers expect and want.

Leica with its niche market, has every right to present a titanium body, and will no doubt sell well, BUT at the same time should have clearly shown, or at least a wiff, of what direction and future development, the company is heading towards.

monza

I have no issue with a Ti M9 as a 'show car' so to speak. But to actually put a price tag on it? It then becomes simply a corporate embarrassment...