Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leica M9 Titanium

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica M9 Titanium

Hasselblad has a Ferrari inspired version of a MFDB that it will sell. Not much that Hasselblad is introducing at Photokina ... so they too are featuring a special edition model. Again, some companies believe that if you are going to attend a show and you are in-between product cycles, you have to generate some PR with a splashy product announcement ... no matter the announcement worthiness.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4515

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Hasselblad has a Ferrari inspired version of a MFDB that it will sell. Not much that Hasselblad is introducing at Photokina ... so they too are featuring a special edition model. Again, some companies believe that if you are going to attend a show and you are in-between product cycles, you have to generate some PR with a splashy product announcement ... no matter the announcement worthiness.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4515

Kurt
    I would not be surprised if that is simply a persiflage of the Leica M9 Ti
    announcement. The analogy is too much fun, a red Ferrari is so much
    more exciting than this red family Audi car they showed the
    other night
    Well, one can only be sarcastic about such things

2x2

Re: I like the bandolier...

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I like the bandolier...

Let's hope Luigi makes a copy for the rest of us!! It would be easy to remove the camera from it with a simple grip or grip case on it.
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but in certain areas drawing your M from a holster like this could get you killed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I rather liked the Lost Ark myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perfect case!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brad you are correct! That thread should soar to 20 pages in no time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Brad you are correct! That thread should soar to 20 pages in no time.
    I agree. I tried to post, but I've forgotten my username and password for that site. I wanted to say that I don't think Leica has made a case for it, so I can't imagine anyone else doing so either.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Photokina Blog at LuLa has been updated....apparently Leica already has 1500 orders for the 500 cameras that will be made.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...ina_blog.shtml

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not surprising. I don't think anyone thought they wouldn't sell. To me the issue is the fact that this disregards Leica's main consumer. There are backorders up the wahzoo for the new 35/1.4, but they'll be available on the new paperweight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm just mad that they didn't come up with an upgraded camera so people would start selling theirs for a price i can afford... sigh.

will probably buy the Fuji as that is one of the cheapest options to get a 35/2 in my arsenal...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    will probably buy the Fuji as that is one of the cheapest options to get a 35/2 in my arsenal...
    You know, that's a great option. The whole camera costs less than a used 35 Cron. You mentioned elsewhere that the X100 feels very light (or at least less substantial than the X1). The same was true of the Zeiss Ikon in comparison to the M camera bodies. I think I can live with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The Photokina Blog at LuLa has been updated....apparently Leica already has 1500 orders for the 500 cameras that will be made.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...ina_blog.shtml

They should have made 1500
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    You know, that's a great option. The whole camera costs less than a used 35 Cron. You mentioned elsewhere that the X100 feels very light (or at least less substantial than the X1). The same was true of the Zeiss Ikon in comparison to the M camera bodies. I think I can live with that.
    i've got the Cron (the v.1). hell, i've even got the Lux! i just don't have a FF body to use it on...

if i ever said the camera felt lighter than the X1, i must've been drunk! seriously, they had it attached to mega-tripods and you couldn't lift it. not only that, the bodies were only prototypes so even if i got the chance, i think the finished product will be heftier.

i believe i said the X100 felt more substantial than the X1. as in solid, built like tank, i don't feel like i will break it if i breathe on it... it looks quite sweet, though, and gorgeously compact. but, like the Hexar AF, i don't think this thing is going to be a delicate flower. brick s***house is more like it!

it is definitely lighter and smaller and pocketable in a winter's coat than the digital M's...

just wanted to correct that, lest you be excited because of my poor phrasing somewhere else.

oh, and the built-in VF, imo, makes this camera seem much better balanced. i think i have lost my taste for VF attachments.

and back to the Ti, now that i've hijacked the thread?

i didn't think it possible, but it is even uglier in person. truly hideous!!!

as someone who has been lusting after both the Jahre M7 and an M9, it is no mean feat that i think this... i would almost be embarrassed to be spotted using this if it was given to me free. i say almost, because who could pass up free? nothing a little gaffers tape and scissors couldn't fix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    ...apparently Leica already has 1500 orders for the 500 cameras that will be made.
    Who's laughing now?

If you buy a Leica, you will always have a camera to shoot. If you invested your money in the stock or housing markets, well...

Post Thanks / Like

I have just finished reading this thread, and now I feel ashamed.
    I ordered the Ti yesterday and I was not the first here, in Moscow. And I am no plutocrat.

What to do? Place a deposit on Monday, or upgrade my four year old car? Doubts, doubts, doubts.
    But I like titanium lenses, I even have a solid titanium 1,4/50 from an m7 ti set and I use it on my black m9... And I know a machinist who can mill me titanium lugs...

Yevgeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unless the price includes a majority share of Leica stock with purchase of the camera at this price (which, if decisions like this continue, might not be so far-fetched), someone in Solms must have made the decision to make these after 5 too-many vodkas...
    Michael

Leica and Canon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yevgeny NP View Post
    I have just finished reading this thread, and now I feel ashamed.
    I ordered the Ti yesterday and I was not the first here, in Moscow. And I am no plutocrat.

What to do? Place a deposit on Monday, or upgrade my four year old car? Doubts, doubts, doubts.
    But I like titanium lenses, I even have a solid titanium 1,4/50 from an m7 ti set and I use it on my black m9... And I know a machinist who can mill me titanium lugs...

Yevgeny
    oh, do not feel bad at all! everybody was just having fun!

if you really love titanium (and i do too!)... i personally have no problem using it on a black body but, i have to admit, it does look better on a ti body.

my problem with the looks of this camera is that the dark grey leather (skin?) does not go all the way around the body so they could put that stupid hand strap. if they got rid of that, and wrapped it all around, i would have been quite miserable that i'd not been able to afford my dream camera. truly... call me a traditionalist.

and having a machinist to drill you lugs that should have been there in the first place? superb!

if this is your dream, go for it!

(four years on a car is not old at all...)

we would all be thrilled that one of the 500 is actually going to get used -- as it should!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with CAM. Please use the camera and report back, as I will never have one. I am most curious about what, if any, will trickle down eventually....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful camera though it pales in comparison to the Jackie Chan edition Rebel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Why does everybody get so grumpy about these limited editions Leica do?
    They're for collectors - and they make Leica lots of money (otherwise why do them?) - it's not going to slow down R&D on the products we do want (quite the contrary, it'll provide funds for them).

Buy them? Hell no - I've been around Crete for the last couple of weeks with my M9 bodies, and they're currently looking definitely used - these titanium cameras are going to sit in glass cases in collector's houses - good for them I say, especially if the funds generated means that maybe we will have REAL LCD framelines in a 'sensibly' priced M10.

. . . . . . but I still don't understand why people get so het up about silly prices for items they don't want or need to buy - I really don't.
    Agree. Better yet, someone with lots of money can use the heck out of one of these and leave it looking plenty used. Some people spend more than this on a watch. Why not a camera?

Buying this versus the M9 is a lot like buying a D-LUX 5 instead of an LX4. If you have the cash and like what you see, who's to judge?

As for Leica, it isn't as though they're only making these limited editions. They're taking steps forward (they made the M9) and as a side issue, they're doing this stuff. I don't see the shame in this, and I highly doubt that making this sort of limited edition takes away much of their resources from developing for their primary customers.
    Last edited by Amin; 24th September 2010 at 18:18.

bdickers

I would guess that the Titanium M9 has done more to drive people to the Leica website than any standard form of advertising could do. I haven't seen any photography-related website that that isn't discussing this camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apparently this is now known as the M9 Tit. As in you would look like a right tit buying one (does that translate to US English?).

As for Leica making it rather than something for the 'masses'. They probably know very well that in this economy they will make more selling to the very rich than trying to pursuade the 4/5s of Americans who luckily still have jobs to shell out $6000 for the M9 and probably the same again in lenses.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Agree. Better yet, someone with lots of money can use the heck out of one of these and leave it looking plenty used. Some people spend more than this on a watch. Why not a camera?
    HI Amin
    I hope you're well - thanks for chipping in - I bet there are some around here who've paid more than this for a watch . . . and probably one that doesn't keep such good time as a cheap casio (assuming it doesn't have the same movement ). At least the M9 Tit actually takes as good shots as the M9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    As for Leica making it rather than something for the 'masses'.
    Hi Ben
    Who said they're making it 'rather than' anything?
    Good luck to them!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben
    Who said they're making it 'rather than' anything?
    Good luck to them!
    Well, given Leica's relatively limited production capacity, it seems reasonable to assume that making the 35 lux for the Tit, is "rather than" making them to fill the backorders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like the new 35 lux will start arriving next week, or so a little birdie told me.

Post Thanks / Like

After keeping quiet for some days WRT M9 Titanium I must finally say that I like what Leica has done:

1) This camera shows several innovations, (grip, finder, finder masks, form, ergonomics, etc) which I think are pretty cool and hope that could find entry into the normal M9 or M10 line in the future.

2) Such designs always pave the way for new ideas and it is really time to bring in new ideas in this 50 year old M concept.

3) If this helps Leica to generate revenue, then it might be bad for some standard customers, but finally great for Leica and their cash flow, which in turn will allow more innovations and research for future Leica camera generations.

Meanwhile I like this M9T concept and would buy an M9 if Leica would build it in the design and way of the M9T.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Well, given Leica's relatively limited production capacity, it seems reasonable to assume that making the 35 lux for the Tit, is "rather than" making them to fill the backorders.
    HI Lloyd
    Well, it's limited to 500 copies, so it isn't going to make much difference . . . and anyway, it doesn't sound like they would be going through the normal production line - so I'd have thought that the effect on deliveries would be pretty minimal (and none of us know where the bottlenecks are anyway). I can't see that it's going to have much of an effect on deliveries for normal people.

What confuses me is why so many people find the concept so offensive? They are, after all, there to do business, and if you can sell out 500 cameras at that price in a week or so . . . wouldn't you do it?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono--

i take no offense that they did it, only wish that they made more (if the orders are there). the more money for Leica, the better for all of us in the long run.

the only thing that has me gutted is that there will be no traditional looking ti body -- which would, possibly, be my dream camera....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Jono--

i take no offense that they did it, only wish that they made more (if the orders are there). the more money for Leica, the better for all of us in the long run.

the only thing that has me gutted is that there will be no traditional looking ti body -- which would, possibly, be my dream camera....
    HI Cam
    I hope you're well, and that the weather there is better than it is here . . . brrrrr. We just went from 30C to 8C and it's not nice!

I know what you mean - but you'd have to be wealthier than me to use this kind of priced camera for a day to day knockabout!

Maybe next time!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Cam
    I hope you're well, and that the weather there is better than it is here . . . brrrrr. We just went from 30C to 8C and it's not nice!

I know what you mean - but you'd have to be wealthier than me to use this kind of priced camera for a day to day knockabout!

Maybe next time!
    LOL!

i'm not and i can't... hell, i can't even afford the regular M9 full price! i was just hoping they'd release some updated camera so others would dump their "old" M9

brrrrrrrr is right -- we had hail yesterday! hail in september? sacrilege!

idris77

totally agree !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by idris77 View Post
    totally agree !
    Quite right too . . . . what do you agree with (there's been a lot of opinions on this thread)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite right too . . . . what do you agree with (there's been a lot of opinions on this thread)
    I agree Jono... there have been a lot of opinions expressed here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the hand strap dealy is at least a little bit similar to the . . . . [drumroll] . . . M5!

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you still interested in this camera, LuLa is not correct, it is not sold out. I spoke with 2 dealers and they were ready to preorder for me today. One of them talked with Leica and confirmed availabilty.

So if you have been eyeing this, go for it.

Btw before someone asks, I did not order one.

Svenjosh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    For those of you still interested in this camera, LuLa is not correct, it is not sold out. I spoke with 2 dealers and they were ready to preorder for me today. One of them talked with Leica and confirmed availabilty.

So if you have been eyeing this, go for it.

Btw before someone asks, I did not order one.

Svenjosh
    Well, you have the opportunity to be the first on this forum since I have seen no reports here so far.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Well, you have the opportunity to be the first on this forum since I have seen no reports here so far.
    i think we may have made it such that anybody who did get one would be a little embarrassed to admit it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    If I were an R-System user I'd be pissed...
    You are right, I am a R & M owner and was pissed off since the first M8 ! But I am not going to say more because when I said my mind, it didn't pleased many, I loved Leica and was angry !
    I am not surprised by this "event", they just carry on, I won't turn back to Leica, the page is turned, pity to see this marketting policy, it's so ludicrous.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    I am not surprised by this "event", they just carry on, I won't turn back to Leica, the page is turned, pity to see this marketting policy, it's so ludicrous.
    . . . but if it makes a profit which can then be used to make a camera which will use your R lenses?
    I really don't understand what's ludicrous about it . . . .if they sell, but I'm sure they will, certainly my dealer has no doubt that they can sell as many as they can get (not to me I'm afraid!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that they are all sold. So a quick pile of cash for Leica. . Leica will gross 11 million Euros and the margins on this must be enormous

Silly to me. If I had that kind of money I would buy myself an S2 and use it rather than something to put in a display case. And as an investment, I wonder whaether there will ever be any kind of return on such an electronic item.

But 500 people have their own ideas and I say this was a clever way for Leica to put money in its pocket that can be used for development of a camera I could think about buying.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

If we are seeing the future (meaning the body shape and styling) of the next Leica M, then I'm glad they have got the look done (with the help of the Audi Design Team). I think it is a handsome design......titanium aside.

Lets hope that we can now move on with a next generation sensor, and some genuine new features (maybe focus confirmation and electronic frame lines for example), so that the M10 can be an all new design.

Here's hoping

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the life of me I cannot in a million years understand what all the attraction to the M9Ti is about.....Just don't get it. I have a black M9 (with one of those flush with the top of the camera) Thumbs Up holding devices with 4 incredible black M lenses, and can't imagine anything I would like better. Why in the world would anyone pay all that money for a hand grip, Titanium metal and electonic frame lines????? Just don't get it. If only Leica would spend production time on backorders of cameras and lenses they would be in great shape. Eleanor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Leica cranked up the production of their ordinary M9 and are using the M9Ti and the Neiman Marcus editions as marketing ploys- just to remind the Leica fans that how cheap the ordinary M9 really is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well for all of you, just a heads up : according to Leica, they are pretty much sold.

So your chances of grabbing this *beauty* are nearly gone....

Post Thanks / Like

Well for all of you, just a heads up : according to Leica, they are pretty much sold.

So your chances of grabbing this *beauty* are nearly gone....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite gone.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Not quite gone.
    If you don't know where to store it, I might have some space in my bag for the next trip to rural Cambodia

Post Thanks / Like

Ti won't rust
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Not quite gone.

I will trade you $2,000.00 in Powerball tickets. Whatchya think?
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1