Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Leica M9 Neiman Marcus Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Leica M9 Neiman Marcus Edition

Yeah, cant' say enough good things about Upstrap, esp for shoulder carrying. Maybe not the prettiest things out there but neither is a $10K camera that's slipped off and hit the pavement! This strap feels really secure without all the shrugging one normally needs to do...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chuck, just been to your website and checked some of your shots out. Mighty impressed.

You're right about the necessity of learning the language to get a better grip of the culture. For me, these two go together. For example, usage of words, especially adjectives tell volumes about the culture and traditions. You are already aware of these things. Hope you turn out to visit this country

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!). I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..

Hi Cindy, Would you try and show some near IR shots with your new M9 (comparison comments with the M8 also would be useful)?

I asked here earlier and I do not recall if I ever got any responses on that.

TIA!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning! But the price is obscene.

I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!). I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..
    I'm so happy for you and jealous at the same time. Just not in the cards for a M9 right now but I would love one.

Okay get out and shoot. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, that's majority votes for UpStrap, so for $27 bucks I'll try it first. Cause it's black. And cause I've bought too many cases, straps, and do-dads by mail that didn't work, but cost a whole lot more than $27 bucks. The most expensive stuff I've found is usually the best, but you got a lot of cheap imitations, sold for just 10% less, to wade through first to find them.

After I win the CA Lottery I'll order one of those expensive Italian leather jobs, in Tan Ostrich, thank you. Hell, I win the lottery I'll probably order a new Ferrari to go with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    +1 from me as well. You have chosen wisely, grasshopper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Ok, that's majority votes for UpStrap, so for $27 bucks I'll try it first. Cause it's black. And cause I've bought too many cases, straps, and do-dads by mail that didn't work, but cost a whole lot more than $27 bucks. The most expensive stuff I've found is usually the best, but you got a lot of cheap imitations, sold for just 10% less, to wade through first to find them.

After I win the CA Lottery I'll order one of those expensive Italian leather jobs, in Tan Ostrich, thank you. Hell, I win the lottery I'll probably order a new Ferrari to go with it
    Chuck, buy the small, thin upstrap - there's no need for the larger SLR version on the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Chuck, just been to your website and checked some of your shots out. Mighty impressed.

You're right about the necessity of learning the language to get a better grip of the culture. For me, these two go together. For example, usage of words, especially adjectives tell volumes about the culture and traditions. You are already aware of these things. Hope you turn out to visit this country
    Otumay, you are too kind. I did that web site myself modifying a template a bit over three years ago now, and decided at the time all that work was for nothing. The basic template doesn't support square or vertical format images without disabling the whole movement thing, and it was just too much work trying to change all that. So I started another design from scratch instead, got no time to finish it, so have had that thing up with a very quick test edit since. Frankly, it is becoming a bit of an embarrassment, so I am seriously considering just taking it down and trying to get something else up as soon as I can.

I'm not sure which is worse, but damaging my reputation by not having a good, extremely tight edit is probably the worst amateur mistake for a paid professional or anybody really serious about photography. Most people only get to "meet" you by what they see of your work on the internet. I get away with having that crap site up only because my market is very specialized, and I have a large stock collection of Mexico and the Mexican Culture nobody else has. For my market, seeing a lot of images quickly is important to tell if it is likely I am going to have what a buyer is looking for.

My problem is without any support for vertical or square, I cut my image database down to less than 20%, eliminating even showing some of my strongest work. My personal preference is using the square.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Chuck, buy the small, thin upstrap - there's no need for the larger SLR version on the Leica.
    Thanks Brad, just ordered it.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that's majority votes for UpStrap, so for $27 bucks I'll try it first. Cause it's black.
    I've used the Domke Gripper for all my small cameras the last ten years. They're under $20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered another Upstrap. Have them on my Phase body , Canon 7D and needed one for my Sony A55 I just bought. Reason I like them so much is the pad is two sided gripped so no matter how tangled you get the grip will be on your shoulder always. I've almost lost many of cams bending over to grab something and these hold.

Sorry these are not NM editions but it protects those investments hanging out there in the wind. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Thanks, Terry, Guy and Chuck. I'm really happy to have it. It doesn't look like the NM version, but it couldn't look better to me....black Luigi and all.

Vivek, The M9 does not have the same IR sensitivity of the M8....but I'll check it out for you when I have time.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy, welcome to the M9 club and congratulations. After a bit of frustration with the M8 which led to me selling it I am now a very happy camper with the M9. Let's see some pics when you're settled in with it. This is a very nice group over here on the Leica forum.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Cindy, welcome to the M9 club and congratulations. After a bit of frustration with the M8 which led to me selling it I am now a very happy camper with the M9. Let's see some pics when you're settled in with it. This is a very nice group over here on the Leica forum.
    Except for my good friend Chuck Jones

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Terry, Guy and Chuck. I'm really happy to have it. It doesn't look like the NM version, but it couldn't look better to me....black Luigi and all.

Vivek, The M9 does not have the same IR sensitivity of the M8....but I'll check it out for you when I have time.
    Your not a NM girl anyway, we love you the way you are REAL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Your not a NM girl anyway, we love you the way you are REAL.
    Thanks, Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL okay time is up where are those images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Except for my good friend Chuck Jones
    You didn't ask for "Nice" David, you asked for honesty. When you get around to posting a well executed photo you put some though into crafting, instead of all this "testing, 1,2,3,4" Verizon "CAN YOU HEAR ME" crap, I'll be the first to say "Nice" things about it my friend. Proof of the pudding is in the eating; proof in photography is all about what goes into the craft.

In other words David, is cheap. Put up the good stuff, and if you don't have any with the M9 yet, get off yer lazy duff and go create some!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thinking about your post more, you well nailed it Otumay. If you don't speak the language, you can't work the culture nearly to it's fullest. And while you will never relate to the culture as a native speaker does who was born into it, you are able to communicate in terms you both understand speaking the same language. Heck, if I can even try talking "native" with as little as a word or two, people have always tried to help me.

I remember a trip to Paris in the Spring. Sitting in a brasserie having lunch, in walks a big Texan and his family. He sits down at the table they show him to, and hand him the menu. This is a small place, deep in the Latin Quarter that is a bit off the beaten tourist route, but the best fish soup in town. The Texan gets pissed off because none of the wait staff speaks English, so they aren't understanding his request for one of the most basic of human needs, and he doesn't speak or read a word of French, the language and culture of the country he is a visitor to. A ten minute ruckus ensues with the owner and chef now into the fray, trying desperately to help him understand the menu, and by this time the Texan's yelling his question, upsetting everyone even more.

All the Texan wanted to know is where was the bathroom.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy, That is what I heard. Thanks.

[FWIW, Kodak, when I contacted them on M8's debut claimed that it (M8) has no IR or UV response. ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thinking about your post more, you well nailed it Otumay. If you don't speak the language, you can't work the culture nearly to it's fullest. And while you will never relate to the culture as a native speaker does who was born into it, you are able to communicate in terms you both understand speaking the same language. Heck, if I can even try talking "native" with as little as a word or two, people have always tried to help me.

I remember a trip to Paris in the Spring. Sitting in a brasserie having lunch, in walks a big Texan and his family. He sits down at the table they show him to, and hand him the menu. This is a small place, deep in the Latin Quarter that is a bit off the beaten tourist route, but the best fish soup in town. The Texan gets pissed off because none of the wait staff speaks English, so they aren't understanding his request for one of the most basic of human needs, and he doesn't speak or read a word of French, the language and culture of the country he is a visitor to. A ten minute ruckus ensues with the owner and chef now into the fray, trying desperately to help him understand the menu, and by this time the Texan's yelling his question, upsetting everyone even more.

All the Texan wanted to know is where was the bathroom.
    That episode is hilarious Chuck! Last night I went to a concert at a jazz club, and the Hammond B3 player from Germany tried to converse with me in Turkish. We continued in English, but that effort won him the admiration of a striking lady at the bar
    Osman

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning! But the price is obscene.

Hooray

I was wondering why you were selling all that stuff - what a good reason!

I hope you're very happy together (I know I'm happy with mine).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny about straps
    I've tried lots (and I do have a nice Luigi strap as well).

In the end though - I find the Leica strap to be the best answer, the grippy bit really grips, and otherwise it's insignificant, so it scruples up on one's hand nicely. I think it might also be the cheapest thing that leica sell!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Funny about straps
    I've tried lots (and I do have a nice Luigi strap as well).

In the end though - I find the Leica strap to be the best answer, the grippy bit really grips, and otherwise it's insignificant, so it scruples up on one's hand nicely. I think it might also be the cheapest thing that leica sell!
    Although I don't totally disagree about the Leica strap, its' weakness is that the gripping nubs are only on one side. The upstrap, which is better made (and available in Kevlar if you are a heavy camera shooter) has the nubs on both sides so if your strap twists as you put it on your shoulder you are still fully protected. Also, because the strap itself is more flexible than the Leica, it is softer on your shoulder.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hooray

I was wondering why you were selling all that stuff - what a good reason!

I hope you're very happy together (I know I'm happy with mine).
    Thank you, Jono. It was love at first sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That episode is hilarious Chuck! Last night I went to a concert at a jazz club, and the Hammond B3 player from Germany tried to converse with me in Turkish. We continued in English, but that effort won him the admiration of a striking lady at the bar
    Osman
    Osman, musicians have always been #1 with the striking ladies at the bar.

Photographers are #2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are partially right Chuck, nowadays musicians' wives or girlfriends usually accompany them during performances

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, David. I resisted as long as I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are partially right Chuck, nowadays musicians' wives or girlfriends usually accompany them during performances
    Exactly, the word is out on musicians. Making Photographers the new #1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly, the word is out on musicians. Making Photographers the new #1
    Hah - well, my wife seems to have just started thinking that she likes being my assistant, so enjoy it while it lasts

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hah - well, my wife seems to have just started thinking that she likes being my assistant, so enjoy it while it lasts
    Your wife is a very wise woman, who sees a lot of live music it seems

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is one of the funniest threads that just started to go funny by itself!