The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica M9 Neiman Marcus Edition

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just ordered another Upstrap. Have them on my Phase body , Canon 7D and needed one for my Sony A55 I just bought. Reason I like them so much is the pad is two sided gripped so no matter how tangled you get the grip will be on your shoulder always. I've almost lost many of cams bending over to grab something and these hold.

Sorry these are not NM editions but it protects those investments hanging out there in the wind. LOL

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
:thumbup: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks, Terry, Guy and Chuck. I'm really happy to have it. It doesn't look like the NM version, but it couldn't look better to me....black Luigi and all.

Vivek, The M9 does not have the same IR sensitivity of the M8....but I'll check it out for you when I have time.

David K

Workshop Member
Cindy, welcome to the M9 club and congratulations. After a bit of frustration with the M8 which led to me selling it I am now a very happy camper with the M9. Let's see some pics when you're settled in with it. This is a very nice group over here on the Leica forum.

David K

Workshop Member
Cindy, welcome to the M9 club and congratulations. After a bit of frustration with the M8 which led to me selling it I am now a very happy camper with the M9. Let's see some pics when you're settled in with it. This is a very nice group over here on the Leica forum.
Except for my good friend Chuck Jones :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks, Terry, Guy and Chuck. I'm really happy to have it. It doesn't look like the NM version, but it couldn't look better to me....black Luigi and all.

Vivek, The M9 does not have the same IR sensitivity of the M8....but I'll check it out for you when I have time.
Your not a NM girl anyway, we love you the way you are REAL. :thumbs:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Except for my good friend Chuck Jones :ROTFL:
You didn't ask for "Nice" David, you asked for honesty. When you get around to posting a well executed photo you put some though into crafting, instead of all this "testing, 1,2,3,4" Verizon "CAN YOU HEAR ME" crap, I'll be the first to say "Nice" things about it my friend. Proof of the pudding is in the eating; proof in photography is all about what goes into the craft.

In other words David, :talk028: is cheap. Put up the good stuff, and if you don't have any with the M9 yet, get off yer lazy duff and go create some! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck, just been to your website and checked some of your shots out. Mighty impressed.

You're right about the necessity of learning the language to get a better grip of the culture. For me, these two go together. For example, usage of words, especially adjectives tell volumes about the culture and traditions. You are already aware of these things. Hope you turn out to visit this country :)
Thinking about your post more, you well nailed it Otumay. If you don't speak the language, you can't work the culture nearly to it's fullest. And while you will never relate to the culture as a native speaker does who was born into it, you are able to communicate in terms you both understand speaking the same language. Heck, if I can even try talking "native" with as little as a word or two, people have always tried to help me.

I remember a trip to Paris in the Spring. Sitting in a brasserie having lunch, in walks a big Texan and his family. He sits down at the table they show him to, and hand him the menu. This is a small place, deep in the Latin Quarter that is a bit off the beaten tourist route, but the best fish soup in town. The Texan gets pissed off because none of the wait staff speaks English, so they aren't understanding his request for one of the most basic of human needs, and he doesn't speak or read a word of French, the language and culture of the country he is a visitor to. A ten minute ruckus ensues with the owner and chef now into the fray, trying desperately to help him understand the menu, and by this time the Texan's yelling his question, upsetting everyone even more.

All the Texan wanted to know is where was the bathroom. :banghead:

V

Vivek

Cindy, That is what I heard. Thanks.

[FWIW, Kodak, when I contacted them on M8's debut claimed that it (M8) has no IR or UV response. :ROTFL:]

otumay

Thinking about your post more, you well nailed it Otumay. If you don't speak the language, you can't work the culture nearly to it's fullest. And while you will never relate to the culture as a native speaker does who was born into it, you are able to communicate in terms you both understand speaking the same language. Heck, if I can even try talking "native" with as little as a word or two, people have always tried to help me.

I remember a trip to Paris in the Spring. Sitting in a brasserie having lunch, in walks a big Texan and his family. He sits down at the table they show him to, and hand him the menu. This is a small place, deep in the Latin Quarter that is a bit off the beaten tourist route, but the best fish soup in town. The Texan gets pissed off because none of the wait staff speaks English, so they aren't understanding his request for one of the most basic of human needs, and he doesn't speak or read a word of French, the language and culture of the country he is a visitor to. A ten minute ruckus ensues with the owner and chef now into the fray, trying desperately to help him understand the menu, and by this time the Texan's yelling his question, upsetting everyone even more.

All the Texan wanted to know is where was the bathroom. :banghead:
That episode is hilarious Chuck! Last night I went to a concert at a jazz club, and the Hammond B3 player from Germany tried to converse with me in Turkish. We continued in English, but that effort won him the admiration of a striking lady at the bar:D
Osman

jonoslack

Stunning! But the price is obscene.

I just got my M9 on Monday (from Monza/Precision Camera...thank you!). I put my Luigi strap right on it. I have used this strap since the M8 came out in 2006, and it still looks great. It gets softer and more supple with age. I usually don't have a collar on, and the Luigi strap is never uncomfortable. It also has leather protectors to protect the body at the lug connection..
Hooray

I was wondering why you were selling all that stuff - what a good reason!

I hope you're very happy together (I know I'm happy with mine).
:clap::clap::clap:

jonoslack

Funny about straps
I've tried lots (and I do have a nice Luigi strap as well).

In the end though - I find the Leica strap to be the best answer, the grippy bit really grips, and otherwise it's insignificant, so it scruples up on one's hand nicely. I think it might also be the cheapest thing that leica sell!

woodyspedden

Funny about straps
I've tried lots (and I do have a nice Luigi strap as well).

In the end though - I find the Leica strap to be the best answer, the grippy bit really grips, and otherwise it's insignificant, so it scruples up on one's hand nicely. I think it might also be the cheapest thing that leica sell!
Although I don't totally disagree about the Leica strap, its' weakness is that the gripping nubs are only on one side. The upstrap, which is better made (and available in Kevlar if you are a heavy camera shooter) has the nubs on both sides so if your strap twists as you put it on your shoulder you are still fully protected. Also, because the strap itself is more flexible than the Leica, it is softer on your shoulder.

Woody

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
That episode is hilarious Chuck! Last night I went to a concert at a jazz club, and the Hammond B3 player from Germany tried to converse with me in Turkish. We continued in English, but that effort won him the admiration of a striking lady at the bar:D
Osman
Osman, musicians have always been #1 with the striking ladies at the bar.

Photographers are #2. :D

otumay

You are partially right Chuck, nowadays musicians' wives or girlfriends usually accompany them during performances;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Thank you, David. I resisted as long as I could.:deadhorse: