The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMR and Canon 580EX flash?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have a shoot tomorrow and need to be able to use some fill flash . Normally I would just drop the 580EX on my Canon 5D and use it like a point and shoot..just dial in the flash reduction and go (since its outside shooting). But..the daughter nailed my 5D as I wasn t using it..so I am trying to work with my R9/DMR. I realize that the flash and the DMR speak different languages..and all the DMR can do is fire the flash. It doesn t appear that the Canon flash has an auto mode thats not TTL ..which would be perfect . So I am back to manual and its been a long time . The exact situation is for a local horse racing team that needs a few shots for their website. They need a small group shot (6 people) and individual informal head shots of each team member. Nothing fancy . I was hoping to set the flash to provide a -1 1/3 fill and use the DMR on manual. Try a few and adjust as needed. Everything else I can shoot with the M8s without flash. I also typicaly use a Lightsphere to soften the flash . Any help would be appreciated.

robsteve

Subscriber
Don't forget that the F ode flash metering still works on the R8/9 even with the DMR. You put the camera in F-mode, set a shutter speed 1/250th or less and then pull down the stop down lever until the flash fires. You will then see the flash metering in the viewfinder.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I found the post on flashes at the LUF and Jamie Roberts provided a detailed description of the 580 on the DMR ...its actually a nice setup for fill flash . It very quick to adjust the power setting with the wheel and with a Lightsphere a pretty good solution for fill flash.

robmac

As per robsteve's post - I've used the R8 in F mode with a beat-up old Nikon SB-24 with no issues. For posed shots, I'd get someone to act as test dummy for the setup - put R9 in F, flash on A, do a prefire with stop-down lever tweak for the histogram and you'd be good to go.

I was VERY suprised at how nice my fooling-around shots came out using the SB-24. F mode is one of the many aspects I'll miss when my R8 sells.

J

Jamie Roberts

F mode is cool. I just thought I'd add, for those who might have missed this like I did at first, that the Canon 580 V2 also has an Auto mode that is compatible with the DMR, M8, etc... just like the Nikons.

Now you can use the DMR to tell how far off Canon's A mode flash actually is :)