The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mirrorless System--> M9

iiiNelson

So the bug is hitting me again but I haven't started officially having again yet (I had one on preorder that finally came 4 days after I had to use the money towards a new car.) Right now I'm torn about which of my 2 mirrorless systems to keep (Sony NEX-5 and G1/GF1) but one of them is going to have to go once I have the money to upgrade. I have more invested in Micro 4/3 but I'm impressed with the much cleaner higher ISO results of the NEX (up to about 3200) so far. The optics of Micro 4/3 kills the NEX right now but who knows next year when Sony G and Zeiss lenses appear.

I'm also wondering if either is a moot point since the M9 will cover 80% of my real shooting with the mirrorless system taking over when I'm "worried" about the M9 (concerts, informal events, "pocket cam" duties, etc.)

Has anyone else jumped this same big jump? I already have M-mount lenses that I use (CV 28/2and 50/1.5) and will probably add a 75mm or 90mm.

jonoslack

I've certainly jumped about :ROTFL:
In the end I found a mirrorless system fairly pointless with the M9 - for something small(ish) and versatile I've found a small dSLR a better bet.

Basically, if I were putting a zoom on it, then I'd rather the slr, if I wasn't I'd rather the M9.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I just upgraded from M8u to M9 this week. Something had to go at my house, too. My micro 4/3 gear went and I am going to keep my NEX-5. I like having the NEX-5/ Contax G 35 f/2 combo in my purse all of the time. (I wouldn't carry the M9 in my purse all of the time.) The NEX will be there as a backup to the M9 when I go out shooting. I have the Contax G 90 f/2.8 and 45 f/2 for the NEX. You can't ask for better optics IMHO and I can adapt my Zeiss M lenses, too. For wide, I use the Sony 16 f/2.8.
If it wasn't for the purse issue and the fact that I already have the NEX5, I would be tempted by the A55. That might serve your needs better.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I hear you Jono and Cindy. I sold all my Canon gear about 2 years ago once I moved to Micro 4/3 simply because I just didn't use it enough because of size. There's nothing inconspicuous about an SLR at all although articulating screens, smaller bodies, and Live View certainly change the dynamics now. The more and more I think about it the NEX makes more and more sense. I'm happy with the IQ now and optics and adaptability will only make more of a case for it over a traditional SLR for me. I like the fact I can slip it in my pockets with the 16/2.8 attached and it makes for a good "car camera."

jonoslack

I like the fact I can slip it in my pockets with the 16/2.8 attached and it makes for a good "car camera."
Yep - if you're okay with a pancake on it, then the NEX is just the ticket. For me, I like to use a zoom on my light carryabout, and if that's the case one may just as well use the A33/A55, it's much more convenient to use, and not much bigger than a NEX with the kit zoom.

MPK2010

I went through that exact progression -- m43 to NEX to M9. On m43 and NEX I'd ended up using mostly M primes, and I'd used a friend's M8 pretty extensively and loved it, so it became an obvious decision. I have to say, it is a blast. :D

Since getting the M I've sold all the m43 stuff but kept the NEX-5. Two reasons -- I like the results with M lenses better on NEX than m43, and the body really is smaller. On trips you can just slip the NEX+adapter into the bag with the M as a kind of insurance policy that also doubles as a video, tourist cam, etc. I think it's really a perfect travel complement to an M, given its tiny size and near weightlessness. Of course, if you want to zoom, the current zoom lens is adequate but not special and you lose much of the size advantage. But the zoom does exist, and better lenses are on the way, apparently.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Yep - if you're okay with a pancake on it, then the NEX is just the ticket. For me, I like to use a zoom on my light carryabout, and if that's the case one may just as well use the A33/A55, it's much more convenient to use, and not much bigger than a NEX with the kit zoom.
I use the zoom as well at times... If small size is my objective though the 16mm can fit the bill.

dannh

I've really gotten comfortable with M9 and GF1 together. I use the M9 in the 35-75 range and the GF1 for wide (7-14) and long (45-200). I also use the GF1/20mm pancake when I need more speed and autofocus (kids!) or for those times when I don't want to walk around with $10k or more around my neck.

V

Vivek

RF system cams died a death for me, a while ago. Cost isn't a factor in my consideration.

Liveview/mirrorless cams are the future.

Currently, despite their limitations, they fulfill my needs for technical, street and pretty much every type of photography I do.

I do like the sound of Neiman Marcus though...:D