Site Sponsors

Thread: M9 Battery and the Cold

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 Battery and the Cold

Early this spring I hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine, at the top the temperature was about 20 degrees F. The M batteries didn't last long (2 exposures) without requiring them to be heated up in my coat. It was a real pain, my friends Nikon battery worked flawless. I had two fully charged batteries with me and both suffered the same problem. Does anyone know of manufacturer that makes a better performing cold climate battery for the M9?

Thanks, attached are three from my coat heated batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M9 Battery and the Cold

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Early this spring I hiked up Mt. Katahdin in Maine, at the top the temperature was about 20 degrees F. The M batteries didn't last long (2 exposures) without requiring them to be heated up in my coat. It was a real pain, my friends Nikon battery worked flawless. I had two fully charged batteries with me and both suffered the same problem. Does anyone know of manufacturer that makes a better performing cold climate battery for the M9?

Thanks, attached are three from my coat heated batteries.
    Iīm surprised.... In northern Sweden, last winter, I was out for hours in far lower temperatures and had no battery problems at all; donīt even recall a single day when I had to get my spare out. The batteries were just left in the camera, which hung īnakedī on my chest most of the time, and I shot 40 - 50 exposures on a typical outing.

I donīt use the LCD much, but I always have the camera set at īdiscreetī release; not the most power-conserving choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M9 Battery and the Cold

I had a similar issue during this fall where I was out in 0-15 degree C weather for over 24hrs on a camping trip in the mountains. Over the span of about 24hrs, I went through 3 full batteries (2 of which were Leica branded and the third was Pearstone branded), shooting roughly 450 frames which is what Leica quotes for a single battery on the M8 at normal room temperature.